Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Older dog with seperation anxiety

dwilt72
November 13th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I have an male Maltese that is 10 years old. He has always slept confined in our laundry room with our female Maltese with very few problems. In the last couple of months, he has started whining during the night. The last couple of nights he has whined or barked almost all night long. I've searched the Internet and it appears that he may have seperation anxiety. I've tried spanking him, calling out to him, ignoring him, nothing seems to work. He is very persistent. Something has to give. I have sleep apnea and don't sleep all that well anyway. Once I wake up, I have a hard time going back to sleep, so this is getting extremely frustrating. Several websites mentioned leaving him alone for short periods of time during the day but this is not an option since my wife and I both work. I would really rather not go the medication route either. I need help!

OntarioGreys
November 13th, 2006, 07:48 AM
A sudden behaviour change especially in an older dog usually is a result of medical problem, so a vet visit is in order,

Spanking/hitting a dog is not a way to teach he has no idea why you are suddenly attacking him and will cauxe more problems

Golden Girls
November 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I doubt he has separation anxiety as he apparently has no human contact at all (he's confined in the laundry room all night and no one's home in the day) :sad: Hitting him is abuse please take him to the vet.

O I feel your pain ... I couldn't sleep either with all that racket :frustrated: Maybe your doctor could help you with that :fingerscr

dwilt72
November 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Look, it's not like I spank him all the time. This dog is anything but abused, if anything he's spoiled. Don't judge me until you've been in my position. Do you have sleep apnea? It is EXTREMEMLY hard to get a good night's sleep and once I'm awake, I'm pretty much awake for the rest of the night. I probably haven't had a 8 hours sleep combined in the last 3 nights!

amyk
November 13th, 2006, 09:03 AM
my older dog likes to get up in the middle of the night to go outside. he can hold his bladder for a good 6-7 hours during the day, but at night he HAS to go 3 hours after going to bed. he'll go pee at 11pm, and then wakes me up at 2 am to go outside. i have sleep problems and this is NOT helping me. plus i have to actually go outside with him (if i dont there's a chance he'll eat poopsicles). last week i got lucky and he actually slept til 7 am without getting up :)

~Amy

PetFriendly
November 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Look, it's not like I spank him all the time. This dog is anything but abused, if anything he's spoiled. Don't judge me until you've been in my position. Do you have sleep apnea? It is EXTREMEMLY hard to get a good night's sleep and once I'm awake, I'm pretty much awake for the rest of the night. I probably haven't had a 8 hours sleep combined in the last 3 nights!

It doesn't really matter how often you hit the dog... The fact is you are hitting him.

:offtopic: As for the sleep apnea, my boyfriend has that and its fixable for the most part. His was really bad, his blood-oxygen level would go down to almost 70% multiple times a night.

So it looks like you're making two appointments, one for you and one for your dog.

hull3551
November 14th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Our dog too is ten and is becoming increasingly steadfast in his ways. Some might say spoiled, others might call him grumpy.

Fortunately for him, he gets the bed with us at night. I would never want to suggest he sleep elsewhere. If it came down to me or him sleeping in the laundry room, I have a pretty good idea it wouldn't be him. (My wife has had him for ten+ years, and me for only four.) :sick:

Good luck.

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I have an male Maltese that is 10 years old. He has always slept confined in our laundry room with our female Maltese with very few problems. In the last couple of months, he has started whining during the night. The last couple of nights he has whined or barked almost all night long. I've searched the Internet and it appears that he may have seperation anxiety. I've tried spanking him, calling out to him, ignoring him, nothing seems to work. He is very persistent. Something has to give. I have sleep apnea and don't sleep all that well anyway. Once I wake up, I have a hard time going back to sleep, so this is getting extremely frustrating. Several websites mentioned leaving him alone for short periods of time during the day but this is not an option since my wife and I both work. I would really rather not go the medication route either. I need help!

This is definitely not separation anxiety. When was the last time your dog was checked by your vet? At 10 yr. old he should be having a geriatic blood panel done once a year and preferably twice.

Your dog is trying to tell you that there is something wrong with him. I would take him to the vet ASAP before it's too late.

Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr

Maya
November 14th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Please take him to the vet you shouldn't be hitting and how much more sad if you found you were hitting him because he was crying/barking due to illness.:( I don't think you would want that guilt.
Maybe someone can suggest which geriatric bloodwork to ask for? If he comes out with a clean bill of health then there are people who can help you figure out a more kindhearted way to deal with the barking.

Sleep disturbance is very difficult and stressful to say the least, good luck with your health and your doggies.:fingerscr