Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Upper Respiratory infection in kitten?

vfox
November 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I have looked up a lot of information about "colds" and URI's but I still have questions. My husband and I got a kitten from a local animal shelter 5 days ago. Her paperwork was wrong and they said she was 8 weeks old but she is very small. About 2 days ago, she started having a runny nose and she sounds congested. She coughs sometimes, not persistently, and when she breathes, she breathes with her mouth open and you can sort of hear the congestion in her nose. She sleeps most of the day and night and doesn't play. However, she eats well and uses the bathroom great! Because we think she is younger than the shelter said, we bought her a milk replacement today in the hopes that she will gain some nutrition and energy. She is set to go back to the vet in a week or so to get the 2nd set of vaccinations, but we are debating on whether to take her now or keep an eye on her until then and make sure her symptoms don't get worse and she keeps eating well. Her eyes aren't very runny but there is a little crust in the corners. What would you do? Should we wait it out or take her?

jawert1
November 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately, you're in for a sooner than expected vet visit. Respiratory infections in kittens can be fatal very quickly, and given she's already showing signs of extreme distress (breathing through the mouth is bad), she needs to go now :/ Good luck, thanks for taking her in and please keep us posted on how she fares at the vets. :pawprint:

mona_b
November 13th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I would definately bring her in.

When I adopted my first cat at 8 weeks old,he had it.But it was very mild.And it lasted 14 days.He was not medicated because it was mild.

What we did to help the breathing was,we used a humidifier.It let out a cool mist and moistened the air which helped him breath.Also,they won't give the second shot till she is better.I had to pospone Caspers second shot till the URI was gone.

Good luck on your kitty.Keep us posted.

We would love to see a pic.......:D

vfox
November 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Well great news! My husband took our kitten to the vet this morning and she put her on some antibiotic. She is doing much better now and my worrying has subsided a little. Thanks for the great advice!