Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 hunting beagles

t.pettet
November 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Every hunting season I get my share of exhausted, starving, cold and lost hounds. This a.m. a pair of beagles, young males, lying against my fence line, too tired to even get up. Fed them very tiny amounts at spaced intervals today but for the most part they've just been sleeping. From appearances they're not even 1 yr. old (of course not neutered) so we're going to rescue tomorrow and that will be the end of their hunting careers. How I love deer season!!!

hazelrunpack
November 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Every hunting season I get my share of exhausted, starving, cold and lost hounds. This a.m. a pair of beagles, young males, lying against my fence line, too tired to even get up. Fed them very tiny amounts at spaced intervals today but for the most part they've just been sleeping. From appearances they're not even 1 yr. old (of course not neutered) so we're going to rescue tomorrow and that will be the end of their hunting careers. How I love deer season!!!

Are you saying that beagles are used for deer hunting in your area?! :confused:

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I hope not. :eek:

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Lucky beagles. ;)

OntarioGreys
November 13th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Are you saying that beagles are used for deer hunting in your area?!

THey are not used to bring deer down but simply to chase the deer out of the bush.

My dad used to have hunting dogs and believe me they loved their work, Duke was super crazy about hunting the minute he knew my dad was getting ready he was running up and down the stairs gather the usual gear that was taken along like his leash , the hunting bag etc. And if my dad left him behind he would mope something awful, it got to the point where I would take him for a walk when my dad getting ready to go just so the he would not see him packing and leaving. Many hunters today use tracking collars with beeper or GPS system collars on their dogs so they are not losing them. Even though many feel hunting is evil it is a necessity inorder to manage wildlife population because of are own intrusion into their land we have disrupted the natural cycle which means the loss of natural predators like wolves and coyotes so to ensure the deer for example have sufficient food and space hunting is necessary to thin the population otherwise there would be mass starvation or disease if they are too densely populated, and more would die than the numbers hunted with much greater suffering. Most hunters are nature lovers and conservationists who are often members of groups such as Ducks Unlimited , and wildlife federations which helps with restocking animals and fish, replanting forests and protecting wetlands. My dad had started his own hunting club years ago, it is almost 40 years old and certain memberships in other conservation organizations are required as part of the membership and this is common with most hunting and fishing clubs

http://www.ontwf.org/

http://www.ducks.org/

and OFAH which also has a deersave program to help feed the deer during harsh winters http://www.ofah.org/Programs/index.cfm?ID=2

THe goal of hunting is not to kill off the deer but to maintain a healthy population in numbers that the land can support so they will exist for future generations to enjoy.

Even though I myself could never shoot an animal, I came to learn the importance of controlled hunting and why it is needed, and when I was young I was introduced to research that shows what happens when it is not allowed to exist.

t.pettet
November 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
If these guys could utilize pigeons or hamsters to hunt with they would.

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Most hunters are nature lovers and conservationists who are often members of groups such as Ducks Unlimited , and wildlife federations which helps with restocking animals and fish, replanting forests and protecting wetlands.

Exactly. It's the others that use hunting as an excuse to party that give the genuine hunters a bad name. :mad:

happycats
November 14th, 2006, 11:56 AM
My signature says it all;)
I hope these dogs find a new non-hunting home!

Golden Girls
November 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM
t.pettet I guess they know where to go when their hungry & exhausted :angel: poor beagles :sad: :fingerscr they find a good home. I love your signature Happycats - aint it the truth :)