Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccination Controversy

Luba
February 27th, 2004, 12:58 AM
I believe Sadie has had a reaction to her vaccinations.
If she's not feeling better tomorrow back to the vet (but I'll prob try some homeopathic remedies)

Question:
Who's pup/dog has had adverse affects from vaccinations?
What were the symptoms and did you continue vaccines after that?

I'm looking into homeopathic vet care and it is very interesting.

Read many articles which state that other then leptosporosis dogs do not need annual booster vaccinations as the immunity lasts for years because of the initial vaccine.

Many dogs have developed autoimmune disease as result of vaccinations as well.

Views/feedback?

Carina
February 27th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Well I don't have time this morning to write much so I'll throw a bunch of links at you!
This page has a whole bunch of links:
http://home.earthlink.net/~pawsnaturally/links.html

I know Lew sells stuff on her site, but she did her PhD dissertation in dog health & nutrition and is very knowlegable:
http://b-naturals.com/Fal1997.php

Dr Jean Dodds (who runs the largest canine bloodbank in the country and is a recognised expert on immunological disorders) wrote this vaccine protocol, which many many people are following:
http://ighawaii.com/naturally/doddsvac.html

Also be aware there are different types of vaccines - killed, live, and modified-live. You can do some research - I believe the "all in one" live vaccines are cheapest and most often administered; they are most associated with vaccine reactions.

chico2
February 27th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Poor little Sadie,she is having a rough time(as are you!)if it's not one thing it's the other,what a start in life she's had!
At least she has her loving mommy taking care of her,Good Luck!
Unfortunately I know nothing about dog-vaccines,just here for moral support;)

amaruq
February 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM
In a book I read...make sure the virus is killed! as in some dogs they can get sick and also spread to other dogs. I love Sadie!!!!

Darkseeker
February 27th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Luba,

what exactly does sadie do, is she vomiting???

this has me kinda worried cuz im taking my pup for his first vaccine tomorow.

marrielle
February 27th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Personally I like the conservative approach to vaccination protocol. I believe in killed vacc's but certainly not every year and I think that the schedule of vacc has to be tailored to the animals life style. For example if you are showing a dog and are around many different dogs it requires a different approach than say an indoor house cat with no contact with other cats. Just my humble opinion.

Lucky Rescue
February 27th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Vaccinations every year make no sense to me. After all, we had vaccinations as kids, then never again, so why is it different with dogs or cats?

My dog has had no vaccs for the last two years, and I'm only taking her for rabies vaccs this year because the law requires it.

Luba
February 27th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Hey thanks everybody...Carina thanks for those links I am going to read them all.

Darkseeker from what I've been reading there is much controversy about vaccinations. A lot of what I read says DO NOT vaccinate before the pup is 3 months old as it weakens and compromises the immune system. This can be especially important with dogs that have been removed from their mother too early and haven't developed the maternal antibodies from her milk.

I'm NOT getting her next booster which the vet recommended in 3 weeks FORGET that!

She was feverish, could not sleep, restless and aching joints panting and breathing so hard she could not sleep from it all. Puked a couple of times and diarrhea as well!

Lets just say, I'm not a fan of these things.

When Rusty got older I stopped giving him his as well and he lived to 16 so there!! And he was in contact with all kinds of dogs etc...

Dark..ask if the vaccine is live or dead DO NOT get LIVE
and put off the leptosporosis for several months!!

I think ur pup is too young for these myself! How many weeks??

Blood Tests have been done on dogs who have been vaccinated their first year of life, years later they still have antibodies to the disease YEARS later so ANNUAL vaccinations are completely unnecessary!!

Luba
February 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Well after we came home tonight from about an hour or so play with the husky pups on the street she was pooped out!

But I think it took a lot outta her because of not being up to par from the vaccine.

Not herself yet, diarrhea and not interested in her wet food only some dry and wants to lay on the cool ceramic tile instead of her comfy spots.

I've given her a baby aspirin to make her night a little more comfortable. She and I need a good sleep.

I don't remember the last time I slept longer then 3 hours straight. Last night I was up all night with her, poor baby.

Vet said today the vaccine reaction has to run it's course, well I hope it runs faster LOL

mona_b
February 27th, 2004, 10:10 PM
You would think Sadie was acting like a real baby when they get their booster.Warm,cranky,diarreha.

But I was the smarter one when I took my daughter for her boosters when she was a baby.

I gave her baby tylonal before she got her needle.:D

amaruq
February 28th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Ok I'm not sure if I'm thinking right? You all don't believe in the vaccines other then the rabies? See I'm a bit fearful because we like to go out to the country and go hiking and general putzing around. We also live in the Ghetto of the city. i hate to use that word but it is the oldest area in Winnipeg. I know for a fact the people had a pup that died of parvo and they left the body on the deck for a month. A lot of people were disgusted..I was paranoid mine would get it cause its all airborne.
Maybe thats why Motzi has been so ill? She had shots at 5 wks??? Now i don't know what to think? Help?

Carina
February 28th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Well it certainly appears vaccinations do much more good than harm - I know there's many people who do not vaccinate but titer & use nosodes etc.

BUT the issue is how many vaccinations are necessary, and what type of vaccinations (killed, live, modified live.) And the schedule at which they are given to puppies and kittens.

Since every vet school in the country is now either recommending (or in the process of re-evaluating) a 3 year schedule for adults, & none necessary for elderly dogs, that's what I'm doing. And there seems to be plenty of evidence that for many animals, once the puppy/kitten series are done, and then a booster at one year old, the animal is immunized for life.

Think about it - we humans are vaccinated just once for things like measles & whatever. We live on average about 70 years and our vaccines are effective for our lifetime!

Anecdote (I realise these aren't scientifically valid but I'll throw it out.)

Last spring I took Dutch to some training classes - someone there had a dog with kennel cough. Dutch had just been innoculated with the nasal KC vaccine a week prior. He got KC anyhow and subsequently Daphne & Cooper got it too. They had both had their booster shots about a month prior. Phoebe hadn't had any vaccinations at all in about five years and she is the only dog who DIDN'T get it. Go figure.

chico2
February 28th, 2004, 08:36 AM
I often wonder too if my cats need these shots every year,not because I am cheap:) The rabies-shots have now been cut to every 2years,I don't even know what the others are for...
As they are out in the backyard with me,I know at night there are coons,groundhogs,possums,skunks and other cats in my yard,who could maybe leave some bacteria behind:confused:
But if we would all quit vaccinating,the vets would all go bankrupt..The thing is,we(or at least I)believe the vets to do what is right for the animals,not only for their pocket-book..
By the way,Chico is going to have his teeth cleaned on Thursday and I already dread trying to get him into the carrier,but I'll start leaving it out tonight.

Luba
February 28th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Amaruq that may be the anwer, the vaccines. At 5 wks thats way too young IMHO!

Wow thats interesting Carina

You know the vaccinations actually can compromise your immune system.

Sadie's temperature seems pretty normal (high normal) she loves the rectal thermometer NOT!

Just not herself still and again last night she couldn't get comfortable to sleep.

Vet suggested an antihistamine (sp) and i'm waiting to find out the dosage for that...but then I think what if she reacts to THAT!

She's not wanting her regular food so I thought no problem, you'll be better off with my home cooking!

So she's got a boiled chicken, potato and carrot dinner that she devoured!

I hope I can sleep tonight , or I hope 'she' sleeps and is comfortable so that I can sleep!

Oye!!

This is her after the play time with the Husky pups yesterday.

chico2
February 28th, 2004, 09:44 PM
OMG...she is just soo adorable,I hope she does not have to take an antihystamine(spelling?)too,she's had enough chemicals in her little body..
Oooops,no more dog-food for Princess Sadie,chicken and steaks from now on:D

Luba
February 28th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I never gave her any benadryl yet and probably won't

Spoke to a friend who said her cat had a reaction that lasted a month!!

Sadie loves her chicken a 'la' yum yums haha and is resting on the floor in the kitchen. She seems to like the coolness against her skin.

Sadie says thank you to everyone giving her all these adoring compliments!

Carina
February 29th, 2004, 05:34 AM
She REALLY is a cutie pie!

There's plenty of people who home cook for their dogs, several excellent books about it if you're interested.

And I know antihistamines are considered quite safe for dogs. If a dog is stung by a bee & has an anyphylactic (I think I totally spelled that wrong) an emergency measure is to give them a HUGE dose all at once, if they are swelling up to the point of the throat swelling shut or something.

In case you're interested, here's an incredibly informative site for nutrition, herbal cures & info on a number of health problems and ways to holistically/herbally manage them:
http://www.bowchow.com/

Luba
March 1st, 2004, 12:10 AM
WOW thats a great link Carina thanks a LOT!!

Know what? She's been on home cooking for only two days and she's having the best poops I could ask for, the best since she's gotten here.

I'm happy about that one!!

She is coming around slowly, feeling better today and not panting as much but still enjoying the cool floors to lay on.

I really like that link, you're a sweetie thanks so much!!