Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you spoil a dog?

jeannie00
November 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I have an 8 week old chihuahua puppy (male) and he is soooo adorable. I love him to death. We bonded the first day we met. Anyways, i have two questiions:

Can you spoil a puppy/dog?

When i first got Odin, i could not get him to stay or sleep by himself. The first day i got him and the first night, I held him constantly like a baby. He didnt want me to put him down, or otherwise he'd whine. So that night, he kept whining so i put him in the bed with me, and every night since, hes slept right beside me. And during the day, i have to hold him and pack him around. So i got an old arm sling that my hubby had used and i put in on and put him in it and hes as happy as can be. He hates to be alone. Will this subside in time, or have i just got him spoilt? I didnt know if you could spoil a dog. But it seems like he is very spoilt.

Other questiion is this. Everytime i let Odin out to potty, it sounds like he gets the hiccups. Can dogs get hiccups? IF not, what is it. I mean it looks and sounds like hes hiccuping? Why is he getting them soo often??

Any other advice or suggestions are very much welcome.

mummummum
November 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Congratulations on your new puppy and welcome to pets.ca. Eight weeks is very young and for some reason I thought Chi's were usually kept with their mothers for quite a bit longer. How long have you had your puppy ? You might want to encourage your puppy to do some running around and explore his environment by playing with him but i's pretty normal for puppy's to "seek the heat source" as it were. Can't help you with the hiccuping thing ~ that's a new one on me.

t.pettet
November 12th, 2006, 10:44 PM
The longer you cater to his whining and clingy ways the harder it will be to have an independent confident dog. Crate training him for nighttime and having some space between you during the day will make him independent, otherwise he'll end up a nervous and timid adult constantly crying for attention. If you don't manage to train him now then he'll be that way as a larger adult chi. Do you want him in your bed forever or to be carried around in a sling? If you find he's chilled put a little sweater on him and make sure his crate has warm blankets in it. I know it seems cruel to separate such a tiny pup from you now but in the long run you'll both be happier.

Goldens4Ever
November 12th, 2006, 11:47 PM
t.pettet,

YOU ARE RIGHT ON! :thumbs up :thumbs up

Maybe putting a soft stuffed animal in with the pup would be comforting. I have also heard the trick of placing a clock that has loud ticking sounds outside of the crate, as it supposedly reminds puppies of their momma's heartbeat.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 12:25 AM
What happened to your other puppy?
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=228393#post228393
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=253933#post253933
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=221827#post221827

rainbow
November 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I was wondering the same thing. :confused:

twisten
December 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Most chi breeders won't let their pups go any earlier than ten weeks but they prefer they stay on Mom until 3 months. That's how old my Brie is. If you stop carrying her around all the time the whining and whimpering should end in 3-4 days. I know how hard that is too do though, they are sooo cute you just want to cuddle them constantly. I once had a vet tell me (with a different chi) that carrying them around too much isn't good for them as they can become sore like a human baby when it is carried too much. Brie whined a bit the first night and that was it. She sleeps in a playpen with toys, food and water and her litter box. I've only had her 2 weeks now but it already feels like she's always been part of the family.

Angie J
January 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
That is one spoiled doggie you have there.... already..lol.

That being said,....Devils Advocate to the common sence you've heard thus far...

I have a friend who has an anxiety disorder. Her coping mechanism is her dog. Hers just died after a very happy and VERY Spoiled 14 yrs. She carried this dog everywhere! I hardly knew it COULD walk..lol. But, the pup loved it, and it was her comforter. She had to got out, as people do, and I guess the doggie got it's exercise then. For them... this worked. She has recently aquired a new pup and is concerned it might weigh over 10 lbs, then she'd need the sling too..lol.

I myself have a Newf....so, say no more about carrying! But, as much as I LOVE my dogs, they are Dogs, and sleep in dog beds (comfy ones), and eat dog food (well, Raw is kinda 'natural' dog food), and are expected to obey commands and know their doggie place (as relative a phrase as that is from house to home..lol). Coddling would not be something I would EVER entertain, myself.

So, IF you intend to spoil this pup... you'd better be prepared to follow through for a good many years. If you can't or don't have the time....stop now, as it will get harder as you let this behavior go on.

Congrtulations on your new friend!

Angie J

joeysmama
January 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Cooper was 12 weeks when I brought him home. He's not a chi, but I do remember him getting the hiccups occasionally back then. Maybe that's a puppy thing? I don't know. But he doesn't get them anymore.

If you don't want the doggie sleeping with you forever now is he time to change that. Cooper thinks that the big bed IS his.

I'm curious about your other puppy as well. :confused:

Prin
January 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure the OP is coming back...:o

erykah1310
January 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Way to go Prin :rolleyes: ( just kidding)

Prin
January 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
LOL no.. She hasn't been here for a while, I think.

Rob n Cody
January 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Doggies can definitely get spoiled....and it can start at any time. My girl used to be so well trained, and i let it slide for just a little bit, and now we're back to the drawing board. Grrrrr.
As for the hiccuping, Cody used to do that when she was a puppy - vet said it was because she needed to poop...because her organs were still small, it was putting pressure on her diaphragm, and making her hiccup until her bowels were cleared. Was nothing serious, but I can't say for sure this is the same thing.
Congrats on the new addition!

dlmh
January 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM
When I first got Gibran 8 wks, she slept at the top of my pillow, when she was about 4 months old we got her own bed. she goes to it every night but at 5:30 am she puts her nose in my ear and sits there until i lift her up - she is 50lbs now and will not jump up on the bed. She is allowed to slept beside me until i get up 6:30 - 7:00. As for hiccups she to would get the hiccups, and still does sometimes. when she was very young. I never really questioned it. should i ?