Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prin-looks like Northern Biscuits is changing their products

Skryker
November 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Arghh! I just bought some yesterday and tried the Beef Liver ones for the first time. Well, Fingal has what look like hives on his belly today, so I wanted to check the ingredient list (I put the cookies in a container and threw out the bag-D'oh!) so I went to their website.

New packaging, new look-new varities. I think the lamb and lake trout (now called Braised Lamb and Trout with Wild Rice) is different but I can't remember.

Here's the link:

http://www.northernbiscuit.ca/wheatfreeingredients.html

What do you think? I honestly don't remember any rice flour in them before.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 12:52 AM
It was brown rice flour... and they added more wild rice toward the bottom. (i.e. in general, they added more cheap rice...)
And they took out the eggs and molasses...:shrug:
And both meats were "ground" before...

SnowDancer
November 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Wonder if they have changed the Caribou "flavour"? El has been getting The Barkery biscuits of late as they are half the size and El's cookies have to be broken into 4 pieces (he can count) so regardless of size of cookie 4 pieces it is (and he had to reduce from 27 to 22 lbs. - which we finally did - every little bit helping. I usually get him the Salmon Bites in Barkery - egg and wheat free and low fat. I know he would prefer the Cheese and Bacon though. I will ask Groomer on Thursday when I take him for socialization if she has been told which cookie products have changed. Have to say though he is looking with longing at those darned smoked bones. He does love the Turkey Breast Jerky though - gets very excited but does not go Cujo on me - and only 1% fat.

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 01:01 PM
SnowDancer, this is the list for the Caribou cookies:
(I was going to get some of these but the price difference :eek: 'd me! 4.99 for the fishy cookies and the liver cookies vs. 8.49 for the Caribou. Yikes! But Christmas is coming....)

Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Caribou,
Peas, Carrots, Oats, Brewer’s yeast, Garlic, Parsley, and Rosemary

It looks the way I remember the lamb and laketrout ones. :mad: Darn it! I thought they had cheaped out a bit on me. :shrug: They're still better than a lot of treats out there, and the last bag I got was still the old formula.

Thanks, Prin!:dog:

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Oh, and I figured out that it's not hives on Fingal's belly, he ran into nettles by the river the other day. Took my brain a bit to remember what that looks like an d put 2+2 together. I guess it is a type of hive, and I know from personal experience that nettle stings are just as itchy as hives. But, if they don't go away very soon (like faded significantly by tonight), off to the vet we go to be absolutley sure it's not something else.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 01:22 PM
:fingerscr that it's nothing major.

Yeah, at first glance it looks like they cheapened it out but then you look closer and realize no, it was just always this cheap.:D

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hey, nice simple ingredients that I can understand without opening a chemistry textbook, and the dogs love 'em? Good enough! :D

I checked all through Fingal's fur and he only has the red splotches on the bare parts of his belly, so that leans towards a contact reaction instead of a food reaction, right? There's only one now that hasn't already faded-it's in a "sensitive" location, so he's licking it quite a lot. *Wince* Must be pretty itchy!

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Food allergy itchiness can appear anywhere but it wouldn't fade away so fast...

Yeah, I get the NB's because they're cheaper... The doggies like the Canidae lamb and rice ones better but they're hard to find. They also love the wellness ones but they're too expensive (and really big).

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I got the Canidae chicken ones last time. The dogs love 'em, but I wasn't so thrilled with them. They crumble instead of snap and we went through the bag pretty fast. And they smell weird. :o

Obviously, the chickeny ones are no good for you, though.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM
No, but the lamb and rice ones were ok. True, they were crumbly, but the wellness ones are way crumblier.:shrug:

Scott_B
November 13th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah I found the Canidae ones very crumbly as well. I really like the NB for how crunchie they are. Great Kong stuffers!

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
And the NB ones are easy to break in half too.:thumbs up

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yep.:thumbs up Stretches them out, and the doggies think they're getting more treats!

The liver ones don't break so easy, though. They're super hard!