Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Christmas gift suggestions

Skryker
November 12th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I thought maybe people would be interested in starting an idea exchange, what with shopping season here (already!:eek: ) I'm OK with buying for family and friends that I know well, but I get stuck for things like Secret Santa. And there's always a few people that are SO hard to buy for! So, this thread is for sharing good ideas and finds or for asking for help for the hard to buy for.

What made me think of this is that I got a new tea set from President's Choice-it's in the new Insider's Report-and it's not only really nice, it was only 10 bucks for the teapot with removable strainer and cream and sugar dishes. So if you know a tea-lover it might be a good gift, along with some loose-leaf tea.

One of my other fav gift ideas I used to get at IKEA. I haven't been to an IKEA for a few years but they used to sell the most amazing brightly coloured taper candles. What I would do is get a pair of candles in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple along with a nice pair of candle holders (a lot of dollar stores have a surprisingly nice selection of candle holders). Makes a nice house warming or hostess gift.

Anyone else have any ideas they want to share?

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I already posted this, but I still think it's GREAT.:o It would be a meaningful secret santa gift...
http://www.wwf.ca/HowYouCanHelp/PandaStore/PandaStore.asp?product=DR630&IGNOREcart=

The other thing I like to do is get some really good coffee or tea. Fancy things people wouldn't normally buy for themselves.

Or I buy things for their pets.:o

Skryker
November 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I like the charity donation in your name type gifts, too, especially for people who already have lots of stuff. My Mom is a frog freak, and for her birthday one year, I adopted a tree-frog at the Metro Zoo for a year in her name. She loved it!

I know there used to be places where you could pay to name a star after some one, and they get a certificate of registration and the co-ordinates of the star. Kind of neat.

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah, the wwf one is cool because you get a stuffie and a certificate and some pics.:thumbs up

Frenchy
November 12th, 2006, 03:00 PM
hummm, I would like new doggy beds for them, a year supply of dog food , a free vet pass , Bob the pyrenee, what else... some new clothes for me,chocolate,new windows in the living room,new roof... Was that the question ? :p

meb999
November 12th, 2006, 03:00 PM
if anyone wants to buy me a gift...I'd LOOOOVE a laptop computer (or as my bf calls it : a labtop) :D :pray: Maybe Hazel could pencil it in to her 'if she wins the lotery' list?? :fingerscr :fingerscr

hmmmmm, other than that.....gift certificates are always fun (unless it's from a boring store). Also socks are a great gift. Everyone needs socks :D

poodletalk
November 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I like to give gift certificates to Chapters or a movie theatre.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I would be happy with a winning lottery ticket :D

one year I gave everyone cookie recipes

I bought some Mason jars one year - and then I layered the dry ingredients sort of like you do different sands - then wrapped the top of the jars and included the card with the recipe on it - all they need to add is the wet ingredients.

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM
My daughter's band did the jar thing as a fund raiser for their band trip this year. They're selling them this weekend at the mall. :fingerscr that people really like them (cost of the trip is $1100 per kid :eek: )

OntarioGreys
November 13th, 2006, 10:10 PM
This is what I want a chines crested solar lamp
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chinese-Crested-Dog-Outdoor-Solar-Lamp-Light_W0QQitemZ280047180688QQihZ018QQcategoryZ5072 2QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Add the greyhound and eskie ones would be nice too :D

And this year will make some gifts
for example a horse print towel and pot holders for my aunt much like this

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/69/d0/51_1.JPG

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 04:32 AM
What made me think of this is that I got a new tea set from President's Choice-it's in the new Insider's Report-and it's not only really nice, it was only 10 bucks for the teapot with removable strainer and cream and sugar dishes.

That's a good deal. :thumbs up How big is the teapot? Have you tried any of the new loose teas they advertised?

Skryker
November 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM
The teapot is 1.5 litre, so it's a good size. They didn't have any of the new teas in yet. :sad:

jessi76
November 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Anyone else have any ideas they want to share?

one easy, affordable, homemade gift I'm making this year for a few people are gift boxes of scented envelopes. buy colored card envelopes (not plain white "letter" ones), poke holes in a pattern on each envelope (i.e. flowers, hearts, stars, etc...) fill envelope with scented potpourri (i.e lavender), seal envelopes w/ gluestick.

get a craft box - decorate the box - inside & out. tie up scented envelopes w/ fancy ribbon - tie bow - fit nicely in box.

the recipient can use the scented envelopes wherever - in car, school locker, drawers, closets, etc... and the pretty lined box can be used for storing items such as cards & stationary later on. if you know the recipients well, you can wrap the box and get colored envelopes to match their home decor.

another easy, affordable idea.... custom antique tea cup candles. find unique one of a kind antique tea cups at places such as flea markets, yard sales, 2nd hand stores, antique shops (or buy new). get a candle kit from craft store - follow directions - melt wax, insert wick - and FILL the teacup! fit 4 unique tea cup candles (or a matching set) in a decorated craft box and give as gift.

HunterXHunter
November 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
The TLC "Life's Lessons" collection :thumbs up :D :crazy:

I love those...hehe...

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
ooo I really want "Creature Comforts"..
http://www.creaturecomforts.tv/ (watch out it's noisy)
http://www.aardmarket.com/creaturecomforts/home.asp

I missed it when it came out and I saw a short clip from it and it's REALLY good. (it's a movie by the wallace and gromit people, where they interview animals about their lives...)