Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

nail trimming...

lqvicki
November 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM
my cat had his nails trimmed once at the vet, but as he grew older it really bothered him! now when i try to trim his nails, he tries to bite my hands off!! as long as he has a scratching post, it should be ok to to leave the nails untrimmed, right? there seems to be no furniture problems right now.:o

dogcatharmony
November 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM
a little grooming trick we use at work. Wrap the cat in a towel, not too tight, you might be able to get a paw at a time with a little break in between. I find that my cats use their scratching post just to sharpen their nails.

chico2
November 12th, 2006, 04:18 PM
With my cats it's a 2-person job:frustrated:I'll hold and cuddle the cat and hubby trims their nails.
Rocky,my oldest cat,will have nothing of it,he gets trimmed at the vet only a couple of times a year and his nails are still fine.

MartiniGIrl
November 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM
oh no, I cant imagine never trimming my cats' nails, they'd all be sharp as needles.

Some cats put up with it, others hate it. I have 6 cats at the moment (3 are foster kittens), and the ones who hate it I usually get them while they're sleeping! if that doesnt work, when they are awake, try touching their paws a lot, press down on the pads of their paws so that their nails pop out, but dont cut them. Just get them used to the feeling and maybe in time they'll actually let you cut them.