Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat leaves blood droplets all over basement floor in morning

Sage11
November 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Hi there. We adopted Sage 5 months ago. In the last month we found that that she was leaving droplets of blood (some pure and some mixed with clear fluid) in small puddles all over the basement carpet and floor. This happens in the early morning. We took her to the vet a week ago and the vet found a heart murmur and also suspects she has a hyperthyroid problem. Can't figure out where the blood is coming from: is it connected to the thyroid issues, is someone leaving poison in the neighborhood, or is there something else we should be considering? Can't determine what end the blood is coming from. She also uses a litterbox regularly.

Skryker
November 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Did you tell the vet about the blood? What did he/she say? Has your cat been tested for urinary tract infections?

Frenchy
November 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
is someone leaving poison in the neighborhood,

One more good reason to not let your cat go outside,just in case....

LL1
November 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
How would she get poison?Does she go outside?

Maya
November 11th, 2006, 09:36 PM
It could be a uterine infection or urinary, it could be many different things. Is she spayed? I'd keep her in for the time being, at least till you figure out where the blood is coming from. It sounds like you took her to the vet for the blood issue initially, what did the vet say?

FelineFatale
November 11th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Definitely no more outside. I don't know why people do that. Is she spayed yet?

Sage11
November 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
We took Sage in for a urinary test and it turns out she has a bladder infection. She is now on antibiotics. Thanks for the replies.

Maya
November 14th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Poor Sage/poor you, lots to deal with in a short time. Glad you were able to find out what the problem was, I hope she feels better soon.:fingerscr Did the vet give any advice to help with the hyperthyroid? A diet change could help along with medication. I'm guessing Sage is 11? An older kitty anyway, it's nice to hear she found a home and is getting medical attention.:love:

Thanks for the update and good luck!!

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I don't know how it works with cats, but in humans, diet doesn't change hyperthyroid much (depending on the type). :shrug: It's always good to eat better though.

I'm sorry for the UTI, but I'm glad she's in recovery now.:fingerscr

Maya
November 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Special diet is recommended for humans as supplementary care for hyperthyroid (not sure about different types), it's not a substitute for medication in serious cases of course. I think diet plays a much bigger role in most health problems than doctors admit though. I believe they are manipulated by the drug companies to down play "holistic" health care.

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Are you sure you're not thinking "hypo"? With hyper, there's not much you can do.

Maya
November 14th, 2006, 09:42 PM
There are suggested diets and alternative therapies for an overactive thyroid. You can also supplement the diet to help with wasting. I'm not sure how effective it can get though, or what the difference would be with kitties.:shrug: