Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prednisone Shot

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Misti's been scratching alot so the other day I took her to the vet and together we decided to try this shot. So far it seems to be working great and I love that she's not limping as usual (arthritis hip) but I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not - anyone have any experience good or bad?

Hunter's_owner
November 11th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Hunter got an injection of prednisone last year due to excessive scratching, and we were trying to figure out if it was allergies, or if the prednisone would take care of it altogether.
Anyways, it worked great and he didn't have to go back for anymore, the scrathcing died done considerably, so we figured that the allergy must be environmental.

I know prednisone is not good for long periods, but if it takes care of the scratching and especially in your dog's case, the limping, then a little bit shouldn't be a bad thing...:shrug:

OntarioGreys
November 12th, 2006, 04:50 AM
As mentioned the occasional use of prednisone is okay but you need to figure out the underlying cause of the itching, The prednisone is not a cure all it does is relieved the current symptoms of pain, itchiness and inflamation which is why it is helping with the hip as well. Longterm use can effect the immune system and cause liver failure.

Frenchy
November 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM
How long does one shot is suppose to work for ? I've been trying to find something else than Vanectyl to give Bailey ? And GG , is it expensive ?

Golden Girls
November 12th, 2006, 08:48 AM
The vet said because it's not a severe itch just enough that her skin was very pink it would clear up without needing another shot. :fingerscr He's thinking it's seasonal allegies. Maybe SG, not sure? I read that you can give it to them though maybe 3-4 times without damage ??? I'm a little concerned because although her scratching is much less it's doing wonders for her pain in her leg :shrug: so I'm not sure what to do.

The shot is suppose to last for about a month and it was $26.00 - not bad

Hunter's_owner
November 12th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Yes that is about what it was for me, and it worked well with one shot.
It was a good way to find out if the allergies were seasonal or not:shrug:

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Is that the same thing as a cortisone shot? :o I know they've both been mentioned a kajillion times, but never in the same context...

Jemma gets cortisone shots... They take about 2 weeks to fully work and then last 2 months or more depending on the severity of the allergy. Jemma gets them for ragweed season.:shrug:

Golden Girls
November 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Is that the same thing as a cortisone shot? :o I know they've both been mentioned a kajillion times, but never in the same context.maybe but there's also a kajillion posts to go through :) I do think however their the same kind of drug :shrug:

Frenchy
November 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
So Bailey would need a shot once a month from April to October / November :eek: . I think I'll stick with the Vanectyl :(

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
No, it would be like one in April and then one in June and then one in August.:shrug: Still not fun though.

hazelrunpack
November 12th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Cortisone and prednisone (or its active form, prednisolone) are not the same drug, although both are steroidal, I believe. Prednisone (at least when given orally, and I'm assuming when given by injection?) has really bad side-effects including cataracts and osteoporosis with long-term use. The affects are cumulative...you can't wait a few months and "start over from scratch" like you can with some other drugs...any future doses will act cumulatively with any prior doses, so it's best to limit its use.

I've noticed when taking it that it does a remarkable job on joint pain, but the long-term consequences of using it and the awful short-term side effects (hyperactivity, heart beat abnormalities, upset stomach, etc) don't make it a "desirable" drug for anything long-term unless it's life-or-death, IMO. It does work, but I would never want to be in a position of having to use it--or make the decision to put one of the dogs on it--long-term. (So I cross my fingers and decline as often as I can :fingerscr ...so far I've chosen wisely since I'm still vertical and occasionally even moving around :thumbs up )

Some conditions merit the use of prednisone--we've used it to fight a stubborn case of inflammatory bowel disease in a young dog...without it he would have died. But it's something that should be used, IMO, only when the situation is dire or when there are no other alternatives.

I've been told that cortisone injections, on the other hand, are much more localized and do much less damage to the body.

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I've been told that cortisone injections, on the other hand, are much more localized and do much less damage to the body.Awesome, Hazel. Thanks.:)

The only thing I was told is that the benefits of cortisone outweight the side effects and long term effects, especially since "mild" antihistimines upset Jemma a lot...

hazelrunpack
November 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM
The only thing I was told is that the benefits of cortisone outweight the side effects and long term effects, especially since "mild" antihistimines upset Jemma a lot...

I've been told that cortisone is easier on the system and I know it's widely used for stubborn allergies--esp when the antihistamines cause trouble...

I've never had a cortisone injection, but I've had plenty of oral prednisone :yuck: It can be a life-saver but (except for the joint thing) you feel pretty crappy while taking it...(I did anyway...the docs insist that not everyone reacts to it like that...)

coppperbelle
November 12th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Chloe has had 3 or 4 skin infections since August. The vet gave us prednisone for the first one and it worked fast to relieve the ithching. The second time instead of pills he gave her a shot and said that it will work immediately and last about a month. It did nothing to relive her itching but within 48 hours of antibiotics they did the job and the itching stopped. A day or two after the antibiotics were finished her infection started again This time I told my vet that I wanted the pills again because they worked and the shot didn't. He said that told him that the problem she was having was not an allergy.