Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sudden hissing cat.

DreamScars
November 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I currently have two cats, a 2 month old himalayian, luna, and i believe the other is 4 months old, she is a tortishell, named zazu. The two were playing along perfectly fine yesterday. I'd noticed Luna had a lot of flees unfortunately, so I picked her up and gave her a bath with flee shampoo, but I wasn't able to get all the flees unfortunately. All well and good. When I brought her out and let her go in the living room, Zazu started hissing and growling at Luna, and she has been doing that since yesterday and won't stop. I'm a little worried because they slept and cuddled together and played together and suddenly, out of the blue, Zazu started acting up. If luna even comes within 5 feet of Zazu, she hisses and growls. I thought maybe it was the smell of the flee shampoo so I gave zazu a bath with it too. But she keeps hissing...what's going on..I'm so confused. Please help...

Maya
November 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I don't think it's safe to wash a 2 month old kitten with flea shampoo, was it otc or from the vet? Zazu could just be confused that Luna smells different but the other thing that comes to mind is that Luna is sick from the shampoo and Zazu is reacting to that. It's really important that you look into getting rid of the fleas safely without hurting the cat's because the fleas will lead to other health problems.

[edit] To add. It doesn't sound like they've seen a vet yet, I'd ask around to see if anyone you know has a good one they can recommend. I wanted to mention this because the kittens may already have worms from the fleas and you DO NOT want to give them something from the pet store or supermarket. You need safe meds at the right dosage prescribed by a vet, also they will need their shots and spay/neuter of course, very important to get done early. Please post back with an update.:cat::cat:

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Many years before Advantage,I gave my dog a flea-shampoo,my cat at that time Sammy,went absolutely ballistic.
Cats HATE the smell of fleaproducts,will salivate and do anything to get away from that smell.
If one cat has fleas,the other probably does too,I'd take them to the vet and get proper treatment:cat:

DreamScars
November 11th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Thank you. Zazu has been to the vet. We got both kittens when we moved into our new apartment, and there were fleas in the carpet from which zazu got them. She had worms so we took her to the vet and got her the dosage. As for Luna, she doesn't seem to have worms but I've decided to take them to the vet on monday anyways. My girlfriend corrected me, Luna is 3 and a half months old and zazu is 5 months. Perhaps it is the smell of the flea shampoo. I'll see what I can do...Luna doesn't seem to mind the smell and Zazu was given the same bath treatment, so the smell is on her, but I think you might be right, it's the only possible explaination, the smell. Ouch...these kittens really can claw.

Edit: Luna does not seem sick at all, the flea shampoo was OTC but Luna is being her playful self. Just incase though, I'll get her checked out on monday.

Maya
November 11th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Good luck at the vet and thanks for the reply.

chico2
November 12th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Yes,thank's for replying,I am almost positive it's the fleashampoo..

vfrohloff
November 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
It's the shampoo. I have 2 cats that I have to have shaved every year and they get bathed at the same time. When they come home the others hiss and give them the cold shoulder for a few days. When you are at the vet on Monday, ask about Revolution (or another topical flea medication the vet recommends) , it treats for both fleas and worms and is safe to use on kittens of that age. Good luck!