Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heating Angie's crate.

Angies Man
November 11th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Heating season is here--and unfortunately, the floors in the place I'm renting aren't insulated.

I can't afford to heat the place at night, so I set the thermostat on about 50 F at night and crawl under the old (actually new) electric blanket. Angie's crate sits on padding and two layers of carpet. As the weather has gotten cold, I've noticed that she's restless at night--can't seem to find a comfortable spot.

So yesterday, I got the heating pad out. On the carpet, I spread a blanket (folded to 4 layers) put down the heating pad, and then on top of the pad is a thick towel (2 layers.) The heating pad is on the lowest setting (& connected to a wall outlet that's got a light switch,) and radiates through the towel, the crate, and her bedding.

I tried it yesterday, and it feels like the crate surface in a 1' by 1' section is about 80 F. But with the bedding put in, the heat is much more diffuse. In addition, I put a comfortor loosely over the top of the crate, which slows but doesn't stop airflow.

Angie had a very quiet night. When I got up this morning, I checked the crate temp. It was right around 70 F, or warm room temp. Angie wasn't panting at all during the night or this morning, so it looks like a winner.

Frenchy
November 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM
That's nice but what about you :o

Angies Man
November 11th, 2006, 04:48 PM
That's nice but what about you :o

Early Christmas present to myself. A new electric blanket.

~michelle~
November 11th, 2006, 06:41 PM
what a lucky pup..... luckily, if i am cold, the pups will keep me warm in bed... i but i dont think i have to worry about the huskies getting too cold inside ;)

Frenchy
November 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
what a lucky pup..... luckily, if i am cold, the pups will keep me warm in bed... i but i dont think i have to worry about the huskies getting too cold inside ;)

I have 2-3 goldens on the bed everynight these days! :thumbs up Only because there's no place left for the fourth one !

~michelle~
November 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM
frenchy what about the poor 4th one ? is it always the same guy ? where does he sleep?

rainbow
November 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Or, Angie could sleep with you and you'd both stay warm. :D

glasslass
November 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I just want to ask if there's any chance of starting a fire with all the layers over the heating pad?
Den-Den prefers to sleep on top of the comforter. Corky dives under as soon as I get into bed. He curls up right between my knees and stays there all night.

Angies Man
November 11th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Or, Angie could sleep with you and you'd both stay warm. :D

She does for part of the night. She's such a bed hog tho that I'm afraid I'd end up sleeping in the crate.

Funny that she's not such a bed hog if it's a nap, tho.

hazelrunpack
November 11th, 2006, 10:35 PM
She does for part of the night. She's such a bed hog tho that I'm afraid I'd end up sleeping in the crate.

Funny that she's not such a bed hog if it's a nap, tho.

Our whole Pack is a collective BED HOG. (And I do mean capital letters and bold font! :crazy: ) How do you keep from getting leg cramps, glasslass? After about an hour, I have to move...the only problem is finding enough room to actually do the moving. :D

But at least, no matter how cold it gets, I'm usually quite warm from all the body heat! :thumbs up

Maybe I should rig up some of the dog crates here like you did for Angie, Angies Man, and then I'd have a nice warm, comfy, uncrowded place to sleep! The dogs hardly ever use the crates anymore. ;)

Frenchy
November 12th, 2006, 08:05 AM
frenchy what about the poor 4th one ? is it always the same guy ? where does he sleep?

Bailey is the poor one :rolleyes: Not really ! We have MY bed, 2 doggie beds and 2 fluffy doggie carpets. They switch place during the night and Bailey usually comes on the bed in the morning to cudle. :cloud9: He puts his head on my shoulder and wakes me up with his cold nose on my face! :dog:

Angies Man
November 12th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah, part of it is that she is so beautiful about actually getting in the crate at bedtime. She has a couple of cookies (hard crunchy bisquits) and I say "go to bed, now" and she happily goes in the crate and settles right down.

She's a lot more trustworthy about not having accidents, so that's not a consideration, but she seems satisfied with the situation. I like having her up on the bed for a little while in the morning--I usually let her out for a quick leak at 4:30 or so and then she can get up on the bed and spend a couple of hours snuggled up.

It makes her very relaxed when it's time to completely get up for the day. She gets a bunch of "good girls" and some back and tummy rubs before she has to go out.

~michelle~
November 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM
oh frenchy.... I love the morning wake up calls and cuddles:cloud9: .... they're my favorite (except for when its 4 am and logan wants to play... cute, but not that cute....

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I'd say just put a thick blanket in her crate and something insulatey under it.

After Jemma having spay incontinence, I'd keep any sleeping doggy away from anything electric.:o

hazelrunpack
November 12th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I'd say just put a thick blanket in her crate and something insulatey under it.

After Jemma having spay incontinence, I'd keep any sleeping doggy away from anything electric.:o

Oo, ya! Good point! Something to think about anyway, Angies man... I guess I'd be worried about Angie chewing on it, too... Does she ever chew on stuff like that? (bedding, towels, carpet, etc.)

Angies Man
November 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
The crate is one of those airline approved plastic things. Waterproof, chew proof, the idea of having a towel on top of the pad is that it will help diffuse the heat into the plastic from the outside. The pad itself is lowest setting--I've used heating pads for many years (had chronic shoulder pain) and never have had or heard of one catching fire.

Frenchy
November 12th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I've used heating pads for many years (had chronic shoulder pain) and never have had or heard of one catching fire.

What Prin meant is what if your dog has an accident and pees on it .....

dogcatharmony
November 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM
when my pup was young i was so worried the first year i had her about being cold. I bought a house and the oil furnace was on its way out so it was darn chilly till i could afford a new furnace. But i bought my dog a down filled single sleeping bag because i was so worried about her being cold. At first she would snuggle up in it, but the middle of the night she would be looking for a cool spot ( silly me, she is chow/elkhound and her winter coat could keep the whole family warm,lol) now my cats sleep in the sleeping bag so it is still in use, it sure keeps them warm.

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Why don't you get one of those emergency thermal blankets that you use for camping that reflect the heat towards your body? :shrug:

Angies Man
November 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Why don't you get one of those emergency thermal blankets that you use for camping that reflect the heat towards your body? :shrug:

My mom sent a couple of foam backed space blankets this week, I put one under the crate.

For those that are concerned about Angie peeing on or chewing the heating pad, don't worry. It's outside the crate--there's a layer of plastic crate material between Angie and the pad. We're "spearminting" with having the pad on very low, and just having it off--she's pretty good about giving me feedback.

We've also been "spearminting" with bed etiquette, and have perhaps solved the bedhog problem. I pulled out a small wool blanket and spread it on a corner of the bed--she doesn't like lying on a bedsheet and naturally gravitates for the blanket. I put the corner of my blanket over her--so that just her nose sticks out--it's like doggy knockout drops! Haven't tried an all niter on the bed, yet, but may try that soon.