Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

940 News ... with Barnoti

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Did anyone hear this news clip yesterday with Jeff Duff? It was said there was a general meeting at the SPCA Thursday night and 49 out of 50 were very pleased with the work he's doing? Apparently this meeting was under lock and key and most didn't know of it? Does anyone know who the ONE was that opposed him?

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I didn't hear it yesterday... I heard it Wednesday on the Drive with Duff. I talked about it (ranted) here (post 4):
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32608
I don't think it was the same interview though.

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 02:08 PM
it was a different one but the same nonsense ;) I can't post here for some reason the audio clip :confused: Basically he was asked why he doesn't try and close down puppy mills ... and well he said the government isn't convinced they should and besides it's a million dollar industry blah blah blah. He again snuck in why he should have the mandate that Anima Quebec has so he can upgrade and educate millers :yell: I love the way he blamed it on all the animal welfare people fighting with each other and not standing together :frustrated: I wish I could post the clip

Frenchy
November 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I wish I could post the clip

I don't , I would probably go into convulsions :frustrated: Who the heck are those 50 people ? Were they giving drugs before the meeting ? Why didn't they invited people from rescues ? :mad:

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Anyone can attend Frenchy ... but the problem is no one knew so of course the BOD's and well all their friends attended so so doubt your golfing buds will not oppose to anything :rolleyes:

poodletalk
November 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I heard the clip yesterday, apparently the have 120 000 members and 50 people showed up for the meeting. Only one person had complainants but that person didn't have her facts straight at all. She apparently mentioned something about the SPCA in San Francisco about their spay and neuter program according to Pierre isn't true.

To go to these meetings, you have to be a member.

They also had Nicole Joncas (sp) from Tejas Animal Rescue on air while they were interviewing Pierre Barnoti. She wanted answers about what SPCA Montreal is doing about puppymills. Especially one of them, since one of the employees who worked at the specific puppymill went and talked to him about the problems.

It was a short interview, I think it was maxium of 15 minutes.

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 02:49 PM
To be a member all you have to do is pay $25 a year ... and that can be bought at the door the night of any meeting. With this membership you can voice your opinions anytime at these things.

Spelling of Nicole is correct. He never did answer her question though - just went around and around. They cut it short because it wasn't going anywhere. Politicians are good at that, anyway Duff promised a re-match :fingerscr I emailed Barnoti - I hope he can better answer that question.

poodletalk
November 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM
No, he never answered her questions. I didn't understand why he couldn't or wouldn't help the guy who went to him because he worked under the table at the specific puppymill.

I am interested in hearing the re-match interview, it will be interesting.

Have to run now and get ready for the anniversary party

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Have fun :)

I think he answered his own question - it is him who won't work with us and not the other way around. We've asked for his help for-ever and he keeps saying he doesn't have to mandate to do anything about puppy mills. Yet he just said the gov't doesn't see anything wrong with this million dollar industry. And until we prove otherwise, yet that's what we've been trying to do so which is is? I've/we've given him new photo's, we don't work under the table for that puppy mill. He's been there - what's the problem? He's the only one we have here in Quebec :shrug:

poodletalk
November 11th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Oh ya, I forgot he wants to "upgrade puppymills" instead of closing them down!

I have to go now...no more delaying...I wish my headache would go away!

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I do not agree that pupppy mills will ever follow "standard care" even if they change animal cruelty laws as their profit would lower. I believe they should be closed down not upgraded or educated :shrug:

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I actually wrote an email to Mr Duff after the first interview thanking him for not letting Barnoti off the hook. He was pretty hard on him about getting straight answers, even though Barnoti, ever the politician, never gave a single one. :rolleyes:

Golden Girls
November 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I actually wrote an email to Mr Duff after the first interviewGood idea, I'll do the same:)

BMDLuver
November 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
940 am with Jim Duff etc..........

Wednesday was the interview with Pierre. Thursday was the interview with myself. Friday was the interview with Pierre and Nicole.

As for the SPCA AGM, anyone is welcome to attend. You do not have to be a member to attend. It is open to the public.

There was a representation of rescuers there, although slim. The meeting in fact was well worth attending. As a result of a years worth of work, the first dog has been neutered at the SPCA prior to adoption. One small step forward sure beats 12 back. Perhaps if more had attended, more would have been achieved. The board of Directors was present, which afforded many the opportunity to meet and speak with them.. as they are rarely in the public forefront. They are open to suggestions and ideas when presented in a diplomatic and polite manner. One of the rescuers who attended is a member so this affords more opportunity for further discussion and a means of working towards future goals.

It is very simple to sit back and criticise however, those that are able to look at the big picture and offer resolutions to some of the problems are what is needed most. Instead of taking a stance to attack, why not draw up a proposal of ideas that can in fact be implemented over the next year. Wouldn't that make more sense than concentrating on the smaller issues?

This is in no way a criticism but rather a reminder that you catch way more flies with honey and those that offer help and support through knowledge or other means have started to see and be part of the slow changes. Rome was not built in a day but one little piece of Rome sure can be.

K9Friend
November 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM
It is very simple to sit back and criticise however, those that are able to look at the big picture and offer resolutions to some of the problems are what is needed most. Instead of taking a stance to attack, why not draw up a proposal of ideas that can in fact be implemented over the next year. Wouldn't that make more sense than concentrating on the smaller issues?

This is in no way a criticism but rather a reminder that you catch way more flies with honey and those that offer help and support through knowledge or other means have started to see and be part of the slow changes. Rome was not built in a day but one little piece of Rome sure can be.

Well said! :pawprint: :thumbs up

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Wednesday was the interview with Pierre. Thursday was the interview with myself. Friday was the interview with Pierre and Nicole.How come you didn't say anything? I missed it.:(

Ok, and if we have ideas, but we're not at the meeting because we don't know when it is, then who do we give our ideas to?

BMDLuver
November 14th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I would think that the best way to put an idea forward would be to write a letter or proposal addressed to the board of directors with all your contact information etc. That way should they wish to discuss it further they could invite you to attend a monthly meeting to present.

Bear in mind that the ideas have to be feasible and that they have to pertain to the actual internal procedures at the SPCA. The board cannot act on external issues or government legislation issues.

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Do they have any clout in Montreal's licensing things?

marko
November 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Since this is not an actual news story but rather commentary on a news story it is posted in the wrong forum.

Please post commentary about pet related things in the On topic forum.

This post will now be moved.

Thanks

Marko

Golden Girls
December 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Although I did not attend, I would like to comment I know many do not just sit back in any way shape or form. Many are trying to come to an understanding with Mr. Barnoti and see what we all can do to improve animal welfare accross the board here in Quebec whether it be to change the laws and/or close down puppy mills/pet store puppies etc. The questions that were asked were in fact very important and a crutial problem that exists and will no doubt continue if animals are adopted out intact <-- IMO shameful

SPCA General Meeting. I received this email from a person who did attend and had questions to ask:
Question Period - a guest ****** asked "why do you not sterelized before adoption" his answer was because their immune system is compromised by 75% and they will die on the operating table. To this statement **** provided e-mails from Broward County Humane Society FL, San Francisco SPCA CA, SPCA NY, Chicago SPCA, all stated they were sterelizing before adoption and mortality rate was due to an underlying health issue and not related to the surgical intervention. His rebuttal was "there Americans" our vet's do not want to do it etc
I intervened and told him SPA Sherbrooke and St Agathe all animals in
adoption are sterilized! He then was seeking a way out so he told (SPCA Inspector)Nathalie Boule to stand up and make an annoucement
She made the following statement; Starting January 2007 we will sterelized
1 purebred dog a day !!!!!!!!! So much for population control
I asked; will you institute a pediatric sterelization policy her answer was
" what's that"
She then blamed again the vets' at the SPCA for being Diva's difficult to
work with etc
I replied to her "who is running the show, they do not want to tow the line
fire them"

Just a cue if you want to come to next year SPCA AGM ladies and gentleman it is held at the beginning of november, save yourself time and frustration call the Hilton Dorval

badger
December 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Maybe rescues need to form an action group and prepare some kind of document that would not only be submitted to the SPCA but released publicly.
Then again, faced with the kind of total incoherence shown above, it might just disappear into the rabbit hole.
But I think if rescues could come together and arm themselves with the LOGIC that is so SO ABSENT in current SPCA policy, we could make a difference, or at least move the dialogue along, by giving the public a clear picture of the situation. They ain't getting it now.

Trashing your own vets in a public meeting. Too classy.

Golden Girls
December 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM
But I think if rescues could come together and arm themselves with the LOGIC that is so SO ABSENT in current SPCA policy, we could make a difference, or at least move the dialogue along, by giving the public a clear picture of the situation. They ain't getting it now.I agree and apparently so does Barnoti: Instead the “in fights” between so called animal lovers and their constant bickering was the best excuse the government had to create their own entity that they can control totally without having to face any of us and our divergent opinions. Again, any media wanting to expose the SPCA will find hundreds of so called animal lovers ready to make us look bad. We are never judged on our accomplishments but rather in their opinion on what we should have done! :D