Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need info please

Lisep
November 11th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Hello
can anyone give me advice as too why cats would all of the suddend start pooping on the carpet instead of there litter box they have never done that before they are not my cats mine are fine just big sucky babies they are my brothers and the litter boxs are open and in the bathroom and they are on iams indoor cat food one is one year old and the other a couple of year not sure they were giving to them so if anyone can give me advice it would be greatly appriciated
and thank you for letting me join

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Not sure, but I think cats change behavior when something's wrong medically...

cpietra16
November 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Has there been a change in the environment? If not, I would take them to the vets becasue when there's a change in their litter habits, it usually means some illness. The other reason is that they no longer feel safe to go in the litter box.
My cat started to poop on the carpet right after she was ambushed by another cat at the litter box. She rarely went to the box after that.

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Maybe the litterbox is not kept clean enough:confused: it's very important,since cats are very clean little guys.
Maybe he is using some cleaningmaterial,the cats don't like the smell of?
Maybe he added another pet to the household.
This kind of behaviour is usually stress-related,but if they have not seen a vet yet,it's important they do,to make sure there are no healthissues.
Also,not to nitpick,but IAMS is not good food,ask your brother to get a holistic brand without all the junk IAMS put in their pet-foods.
and,Welcome to the Forum:thumbs up

Maya
November 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I'd get them to the vet to rule out any health problems, make sure there are enough litter boxes and that they are kept clean. I agree you need to try and get them off Iams, it is poor quality and they test on animals. You could check the food forum here for healthier brands to try. They might seem more expensive at first but the cat's will eat less of it and you will save in health care later on.:cat:

[edit] I also had a kitty that was frightened at the litter box once and then stopped using it. Maybe there was bit of a fight or it just doesn't feel safe for them to use the box where it is.

rainbow
November 11th, 2006, 10:09 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum. :cat:

Are they peeing in the litterbox? Does each cat have it's own litterbox?

Laweezy
November 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Is it more than one piece? The reason I am asking is that a friend of mine had a similar problem. She found out that her cat wasn't pooping on the carpet next to the litter box but in fact, the poop had not fallen off the cat's butt after she went. It was the action of getting out of the litter box that knocked the poop loose and fell on the carpet. Hope this helps.