Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help

bens daddy
November 11th, 2006, 07:32 AM
hi all we have a 6 moth old puppy whos name is ben he listens to my fiancee with all commands and me to but my problem is he likes to chew on me i tell him no in a growl but he don,t stop can someone give me advice please..:fingerscr

Toonces
November 11th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Hi there,

Along with telling him no in a growl turn your back on him, ignore him completley this is the worst punishment ever because the last thing he wants is not to have your attention. I had a foster that was grabby when we played so everytime he grabbed or nipped at me I would let out a loud yelp like he had hurt me and then ignore him, he caught on quick that that kind of behaviour was getting him no where.

Would love to see pics of your little fella:D

badger
November 11th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I notice in the post now closed you mention 'giving him time out of his crate'. How long does he spend in there? Puppies have tons of energy and sitting in a crate will not help.
Crating should never be used as punishment in my opinion, only to contain the dog while you are out or at night, when you cannot watch him (and even then, the crate should be near your bed, where he can hear you).
Other than that, turning your back on him when he bites is a good idea, works for cats too!

hazelrunpack
November 11th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Here's a helpful tip to save wear and tear on your hands until you can break Ben of chewing on you. Get a pair of cheap bicycle gloves--the kind with solid leather or nylon over the palm and back of your hand, but with no fingers. When he goes after your hands (which I'm assuming is his main target for chewing?), still yelp and turn your back--the difference will be that the gloves have protected your skin and you no longer have that chafed, raw feeling on your hands! :thumbs up It always takes a while to get a pup through the chewing stage...and I'll never raise another pup without bicycle gloves handy! :D

H.P.
November 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM
With my pup, consistancy and tone of voice are key in stoping the hand chewing. I tell her "NO BITING" in the I mean it voice, and turn my back, with my arms crossed, and won't even look at her every time that she gets me. If I see it coming, I get out of the way and tell her "NO BITING" but don't turn my back. It has worked pretty well. My BF, tells her "no biting" in a soft soothing voice if she starts chewing too hard, but not every time, it is not working so well for him.:rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
November 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM
My BF, tells her "no biting" in a soft soothing voice if she starts chewing too hard, but not every time, it is not working so well for him.:rolleyes:

My man is the same exact way and three years later he is STILL getting mouthed by Jesse. :rolleyes: