Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bailey,black poop

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM
The last 2 days on our walks,I've noticed Baileys poop is almost black and kind of loose.
I give her lo-cal dried liver treats by Charlee Bear,could that be the reason??
I don't see her owner and if I don't call,we never communicate...and sat/sunday,when I don't walk Bailey,she only is let out in her backyard,so they would not notice if her poop is runny.
Do you think it's the liver-treats???She's had them before with no problems..

Frenchy
November 11th, 2006, 07:23 AM
ohhh Chico2, black stool usually means blood in them, wich means a trip to the vet. Do you think their owners are responsable enough to take her ? :sad: Now I don't know about the liver treats causing it,someone else will come along and be more helpfull. :fingerscr

pitgrrl
November 11th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Black and sticky, like tar, is a sign of blood in the stool which is a get the dog to the vet ASAP situation.
That said, sometimes eating something weird can cause really dark stool, but unless you have a picture :eek: :D it's hard to tell you which it is.

Personally, if I even suspected there was enough blood in my dog's stoll to make it black I'd be headed to the vet, or at the very least calling them.

Shaykeija
November 11th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Missie gets bacterial colitis and she gets black runny poops. This also comes with a high fever and sometimes vomiting. Vet check is required asap.

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Thank's everyone,I'll phone the owner as soon as they get home.
I have not talked about Bailey with her since last Valentine,when Bailey ate 3 lbs of choclate:yell:
Wish I had taken a pic,but the first day I did not think much of it,she eats anything and everything,yesterday I was concerned.
It's not completely runny,but looks shiny and slimy:sad:

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Definitely needs a vet. I'd stop the treats in the meantime, just to be sure, and don't tell them about the treats either... They might just pass it off as only the treats and not go to the vet. :rolleyes:

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Prin,I've wanted her to see a vet for a long time for different reasons,but she is not my dog..I've offered to take her,since I have all the time in the world.
The owners are very busy,kids in hockey etc,still waiting for them to get home,so I can call..

Frenchy
November 11th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Prin,I've wanted her to see a vet for a long time for different reasons,but she is not my dog..I've offered to take her,since I have all the time in the world.
The owners are very busy,kids in hockey etc,still waiting for them to get home,so I can call..

Good luck Chico2, you are such a nice person , I wish you could adopt Bailey yourself :(

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I know. Bailey is so lucky to have Chico around.:cloud9: Most dogs don't get a Chico. :sad:

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Oh no Frenchy,the cats would pack their bags and move out:cat:
Bailey is a sweety,she's now 7 yrs old and I've kept an eye on her since she was a pup,but she is not trained at all,does not know how to play:sad: although I got her some toys,her main interest is food:yell:
Also the owner,the young mom,loves her and Bailey loves her and the kids.

LL1
November 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I would definitely tell the vet about the treats,and how much.Too much liver can cause dark loose poops at the mild end of the scale,and at the extreme can cause vitamin A toxicity.

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Love this pic of her:love:

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM
LL1,now you are scaring me,just the thought I might make her sick:sad:
She's had those treats before with no ill effect though...
I'll not give them to her again..they were the only lo-cal treats I could find.
I usually buy Old Mother Hubbard treats..

LL1
November 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Sorry,didnt mean to scare you,she is a beauty!You could try apple slices or carrot bits as treats.

Frenchy
November 11th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Sorry,didnt mean to scare you,she is a beauty!You could try apple slices or carrot bits as treats.

banana, melon, anything but agrumes . It might take a while before she sees carots as treats , my fosters always take a few days to get used to it. They probably think I'm really cheap ! :D

meb999
November 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I would definitely tell the vet about the treats,and how much.Too much liver can cause dark loose poops at the mild end of the scale,and at the extreme can cause vitamin A toxicity.

I thought that could only happen if a dog ate a HUGE amount of liver treats (like a huge jumbo bag of BennyBullies) :shrug: Would just a few treats cause that?

I'd be surprised if Bailey was sick over the liver treats (unless she's alergic to them....) It's probably something else :confused: Please keep us posted Chico. :fingerscr

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Thank's for all the responses:love:
I talked to the owner earlier,told her about the treats and she said she would call her vet(open saturday).She thought she could get too much iron from the liver:confused:
She is not sick,sick,she was her normal self on friday kept us walking at a good pace,pooped twice..and peed half a dozen times.
Bailey has always associated us with TREATS:D from the time she was a pup.
Now when we have been walking her for almost 2 years,she also expects to come in my backyard to get treats,then when I bring her to her house,I leave her a couple of treats,so I don't have to look at those droopy eyes,when I leave.
I'll try veggies,maybe she'll like it..cheaper than doggie-treats,otherwise I'll get back to Old Mother Hubbard Couch-Potato treats.

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I hope the owner takes Bailey to the vet. One of my last huskies :rip: had internal bleeding from an intestinal tumour and one of the first signs was black poops.

Fingers and paws crossed for Bailey. :fingerscr :pawprint: :fingerscr :pawprint:

chico2
November 12th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Rainbow,I hope so too:fingerscr we'll see..
Bailey has a chronic(sp??)glandproblem,I know she had surgery when she was younger,but it has nothing to do with black poop.
Now I am hoping it's only the treats:pray:

chico2
November 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Well,it looks like it was the dried liver-treats,I have not heard from the owner,but yesterday her(not the owners:D ) poop was a better colour,although a bit slimy.
However today it looked nice and firm and regular colour.Aww,how exciting it is with firm poop:D
I threw away the treats and bought her a bag of Solid Gold for seniors and less active dogs and give her some of it for treats instead,
Ok'd by the owner,.

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Phew! I hope it was the treats though....:fingerscr :shrug:

Frenchy
November 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Yipee for Bailey ! Oh yes Chico2, sometimes "nice" poop is very exciting ! :thumbs up Welcome to the wonderful world of dogs ! :D

rainbow
November 15th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Glad things are looking better and lucky Baily now has an official poop watcher. :D

chico2
November 15th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Frenchy,kitty-poop can be equally exciting:D I am checking everyones poop(except hubbies),Rocky and Chico are ok,I never had to clean their little butts,but trying to clean runny poop from a white cat,oh well,I am sure you know what I am talking about:cat: :dog: