Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Remembrance Day

BusterBoo
November 11th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Please take a moment today and think of all the fallen soldiers and War Veterans (my Dad included.....)

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

:pray:

Lukka'sma
November 11th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I first memerized this poem in grade school and have repeated it to myself several times not only on Remembrance Day but several days throughout the year.
Observing two minutes of silence today is the very least we can do to honour the memories of all who served in the forces.

Rick C
November 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
"These trees are living memorials of men who died for your freedom." - sign along Memorial Drive in Calgary.

Hug a veteran today.

I'll be remembering my grandfather, an immigrant gentleman farmer who went back to England for WWI, enlisted as a private in the English army and lived to be a Captain, emerging from the conflict in spite of being wounded by gunfire and gas, with the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and the Military Cross (MC). He had been nominated for a Victoria Cross.

Below is Riqueval Bridge on the St. Quentin Canal, near Bellinglise, France, likely the morning my grandfather led a charge across, cutting the leads to charges and bayonetting the defenders (as described in his medal recommendation) on Sept. 29, 1918. Saving the bridge allowed the advance to continue. You can still see the wires hanging from the bridge if you look close enough.

http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/jtap/images/photos/iwm/q9534.jpg

This bridge is still standing today by the way.

After the war, he returned to the farm near Pine Lake, Alberta where he remained the rest of his life, marrying and fathering six kids. I am the son of the youngest.

One time when I was a boy, I asked him about the war and he began to cry, 50 years after the event . . . . . small wonder.

A short, eyewitness account of Canadian John McCrae as he composed "In Flanders Fields."

A young soldier watched him write it. Cyril Allinson, a twenty-two year old sergeant-major, was delivering mail that day when he spotted McCrae. The major looked up as Allinson approached, then went on writing while the sergeant-major stood there quietly. "His face was very tired but calm as we wrote," Allinson recalled. "He looked around from time to time, his eyes straying to Helmer's grave."

When McCrae finished five minutes later, he took his mail from Allinson and, without saying a word, handed his pad to the young NCO. Allinson was moved by what he read:

"The poem was exactly an exact description of the scene in front of us both. He used the word blow in that line because the poppies actually were being blown that morning by a gentle east wind. It never occurred to me at that time that it would ever be published. It seemed to me just an exact description of the scene."

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Yep. It's all definitely something to give us pause today, and every day. :o :rip:

meb999
November 11th, 2006, 11:37 AM
i can't believe it's 11:40 and I completely forgot to pause and think at 11 o'clock :sad:
There was a veteran on the radio last night talking about his experience in the war and what it was like to see your childhood friends die in front of you....and he was kept saying that, in those days, they were fighting for something real, they never had a doubt of the importance of the job they were doing.....We owe them our lives and our freedom.

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 11:43 AM
(me too but I'm gonna do it on Winnepeg time...;))

Angies Man
November 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM
This morning on Morning Addition Saturday (the morning news and etc! magazine on National Public Radio in the US) they did a story about Armistice Day. About how at just before 11 am on November 11, 1918, all fell quiet in the trenches and then as the appointed time came, there was the sound of thousands of men cheering that the war was over.

The "War to end all wars" killed approximately 9 million soldiers (I didn't catch how many casualties) and approximately 10 million civilians. And sewed the seeds for the second world war. To that point, it was the most costly war in human history (but was dwarfed by the dead and casualties of WWII.)

Until the end of WWII, it was known as Armistice Day in the US, after that war, it was changed to Veterans day, to honor the service & sacrifices of soldiers in all wars.

Thinking of how many people have been lost in wars, tends to put the number of dead and casualties lost in Iraq in a different light. It is still a very dishonorable war, I think.

I pray for peace.:candle:

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 02:37 PM
We owe them our lives and our freedom.That, we do :candle:

rainbow
November 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I watched the services on TV this morning from several cities. Two minutes silence is the least we can do for those who served. :candle: