Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hip Dyspasia

~michelle~
November 11th, 2006, 04:46 AM
so logan was down to visit this weekend (:thumbs up ). however when we took him to the dog park he was playing with some big dogs, got hurt and was limping all thursday night. chris had also noticed that when he excersized the past couple of weeks he would limp just a slight bit (almost unoticeable) so we took logan to the vetfriday morning, got some xrays and he has hip dysplasia. the vet said this usually clears up around 18 months when the muscles tighten and pull the joint in to place. and he recommended ASA (asprin) for the pain. any body else have experience with hip dysplasia? any recommendations? thanks

hazelrunpack
November 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM
so we took logan to the vetfriday morning, got some xrays and he has hip dysplasia. the vet said this usually clears up around 18 months when the muscles tighten and pull the joint in to place. and he recommended ASA (asprin) for the pain. any body else have experience with hip dysplasia? any recommendations? thanks

If Logan really has hip dysplasia, the symptoms may decrease as he muscles up, but the underlying condition will not go away. Toned muscles do tighten up the joints, which minimizes the arthritic changes that occur in dysplasia, but exercise will not cure a dog of dysplasia. And as Logan gets older, he likely will experience at least some arthritic changes due to it.

Some dogs have such mild cases, though, that they are asymptomatic or have joint stiffness only after heavy exercise. And others have such severe cases that it becomes debilitating if not treated. If you can afford it, a workup by a good orthopedic vet would be invaluable. The vet would be able to tell you about what to expect and the best way to keep Logan healthy.

Meanwhile, I would start him immediately on a chondroitin/glucosamine supplement--they've really worked for our dogs. We could really tell the difference in their joint flexibility and comfort levels. Regular exercise is also very good--especially low-impact activities like swimming--because it does tighten up the joint.

Aspirin can help for the pain and stiffness, and there are prescription non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Rimadyl, Etogesic or Deramaxx that are also effective. Remember to follow your vet's dosing instructions carefully and give the pills on a FULL stomach. Our dogs have only been able to tolerate the more powerful drugs for a few days, but typically that's all it takes before they're feeling better. And some dogs never have a problem with the anti-inflammatories.

We inherited a 5-yr-old springer spaniel when her owner died. We knew she had dysplasia when we took her on, but she was so active that we were very surprised when xrays showed how bad it was. The vet was surprised she was still walking, much less running. But she was a very stoic girl. It wasn't until after total hip replacement surgery that we realized just how stoic! She turned into a 6-yr-old puppy. She was a different dog! At the age of 11 her hips were still good enough that she would play chase around the yard with our 11-wk-old puppy.

So even very severe cases can be treated successfully--but if the vet feels that extreme measures might be necessary in the future, start saving now--the surgeries available are not cheap. The recovery time is long, too--I think we had to keep her quiet for 8 wks beyond each replacement--but it's well worth it when you see the results!

This all probably sounds very scary, but dysplasia is manageable and with luck, Logan has a mild case (if he has it at all)!:fingerscr

Hope this helped. (It took me three times to get it posted without losing my connection half way through! :eek: :D )

~michelle~
November 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM
thank you for your help est since it took you three tries. Logans is a grade 2-3 (higher towards the 3) so its not the worse but its stll pretty bad. I saw the xrays and it is looking VERY loose. my vet was saying to wait and see but we have been researching alot and looking into saving for surgery. but as for right now I guess we'll start him on those supplements (they were also recommendedd to me at my local pet health store) so we'll keep our fingers crossed:fingerscr

TeriM
November 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Hazelrunpack gave some great advice. Our yellow lab also was diagnosed with hip displaysia at about 10 months. She is now almost eleven and it is rarely a problem.

The best advice I can give is to start on the Glucosamine/Chondrotin supplement right away. It made a huge difference with Lucy. We use the 500/400 combination twice per day (with meals). It is very important to keep his weight under control as added pounds cause stress to the joints. Exercise is very good as it helps to stabalize the joints. I would not do any major exercise like long distance running but I found that Lucy was able to keep up on long hikes no problem.

A warm dry sleeping area is also great as it is important to prevent/minimize the onset of arthritis into those joints. That will probably be tough with a husky as he probably likes cool places for sleeping.

Lucy does not do well with Aspirin, it upsets her tummy. The coated Asprin worked ok for us but I prefer to keep some Metacam (from Vet) on hand for those days where she is stiff.

Good Luck

mummummum
November 11th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Go easy on the NSAIDs if you can ~ they can be very hard on the organs. As they're not prophylactic, you shouldn't need to use them for more than a few days at a time any way. You can also try low-dose or baby aspirin for pain relief. In addition to Glucosamine/MSM/Chondroitin some folks have found natural alternatives like shark cartilage, Sasha's Blend etc. helpful as well. Massage and swimming in a heated pool can also build and maintain muscle tone. The big no-no's are jumping and sharp turns so chase and catch games like frisbee are out as would be any thing that requires heavy weight-bearing and launching from the hips like climbing over tree trunks/rocks. Both my Ceili's hips are nearing replacement time.:sad:. It's a :yell: -of-a lot of money and the surgeries are done over a two year period with very restricted activity during recovery so if you can avoid it with supplements so much the better.