Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

probiotics and gas

meb999
November 10th, 2006, 10:00 PM
So I've been adding probiotics to the EVO RM. I've been using Swiss Natural Sources, 5 Strain Dophilus which has :
- bifidobacterium breve
- bifidibacterium longum
- lactobacillus acidophilus
- lactobacillus casei
- lactobacillus rhamnosus

And Buster's been having BAD gas (worse than usual....and it's pretty bad usually) on top of the liquid butt poo. Is it going to get better? Should I give more probiotics or less? I'm giving him one capsule of 6 billion active cells. On the bottle they recommend one to three capsules daily, since Buster is 60 pounds, I thought one capsule would be about the right amount...I'm I wrong? I looked it up, and every website has a different opinion on how much probiotics to give, what do you guys think?

technodoll
November 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
i really don't know... maybe a holistic vet would be your best bet, at this point... :( have you tried digestive enzymes, too?

all i know... when my raw-fed girl maika gets any amount of kibble (force-fed since she won't touch the stuff), she has cannon-butt and horrible gas for two days after. and this is WITH digestive enzymes... she just cannot tolerate kibble at all. And if dakotah doesn't get a full dose of digestive enzymes with dry food, the same thing happens. when they both eat only raw for a few days... blissfully no gas, cramps, liquid poops, nothing. i really hope you give raw another try someday, but do it differently this time :angel:

babyrocky1
November 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I dont have any answers but I just started probiotics with Rocky yesterday...:fingerscr Hes always been really gassy and the bigger problem is he gets terrified everytime he ummm well you know...he thinks hes being attacked or something... he starts to tremble and tries to run away! :eek:

I am feeding him wysong as well as some high fibre wet food from the vets... the high fibre food, ( cant remember the name of it) seems to help with his runny poops but so far not with the gas so if any one has advice on this Rocky would greatly appreciate it! Ideally I would like to just find one food that would work well with his digestive stystem rather than doing the two foods plus the probiotics. He is a seven yr old "bullie"

babyrocky1
November 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM
i really don't know... maybe a holistic vet would be your best bet, at this point... :( have you tried digestive enzymes, too?

:angel:

I asked the pharmacist for digestive enzymes at the time I got his probiotics but he said I should know what kind, that there were all different enzymes and I didnt know what to get him:confused:
Thats why I decided to start with the probiotics.

meb999
November 10th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I just thought of something....I've been opening up the capsule and pouring the powder on his food --- would stomach acid destroy the bacteria before it even gets to the intestines? Maybe I should try to give him the capsule whole... :shrug: :confused:

babyrocky1
November 10th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I gave Rockys to him whole, I tell him the "eat" command and then after he eats it I give him a "cookie" He likes to eat most "pills" now!

technodoll
November 10th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I asked the pharmacist for digestive enzymes at the time I got his probiotics but he said I should know what kind, that there were all different enzymes

you should look for a "broad spectrum" digestive enzyme, lots of info about that discussed in this thread :) http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32338&highlight=broad+spectrum

babyrocky1
November 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks Technodoll, Ill check it out!:)

barkley21
November 10th, 2006, 10:34 PM
We have a holistic vet and when we switched Barkley to raw, the vet recommended a probiotic as well. Barkley is almost 7 months old and weighs approximately 40 lbs. We give him something called HMF Forte and we give it to him twice a day (on the vet's recommendation) and we open the capsule and sprinkle it on his food. He never has any gas or runny poops, but that could also be because we feed him raw.
Meb999...I would love to see what would happen if you give Buster a raw diet WITH digestive enzymes AND probiotics...that's a powerful trio! :thumbs up

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I just thought of something....I've been opening up the capsule and pouring the powder on his food --- would stomach acid destroy the bacteria before it even gets to the intestines? Maybe I should try to give him the capsule whole... :shrug: :confused:

No, the idea is that these particular bacteria survive the stomach acids, but get disrupted by bad bacteria. All you want to do is add more good so the odds of them being in bigger numbers than the bad.:shrug:

And I can say that I did it with Jemma (poured the capsule on the food), but only a half a capsule of the Udo's choice ones... They really firmed up Jemma's stool pretty quickly.
http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/products/TGU9.asp#61958
:shrug:
The bacteria are different than yours.. Maybe yours aren't right for Buster? Oh and Jemma's are 20billion bacteria per capsule..

Buster's so difficult. I think it's time to trade him in for an easier model. :p
(kidding of course!)

meb999
November 11th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Buster's so difficult. I think it's time to trade him in for an easier model. :p
(kidding of course!)

yeah --- I'll call Boxer REscue Qc to see if they have a money-back garantee :D . Everytime i do poop-patrol in the backyard (with a huge shovel! :rolleyes: ) and Buster is running around trying to engage me in some play time, i tell him that he's gonna get traded in for a newer model :p