Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New kitten just brought home, not eating

Megara
November 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Our new kitten, Beckett, has been with us for about 24 hours now. He's 7 nearly 8 weeks old and off to the vet on Thursday. But he hasn't eaten a bite of food since he's been here. We've changed the dishes to shallow ones, still nothing. He'll drink water (as evidence by the leak on the floor, he knows he has a litter box too), but no food and we're a bit concerned. Friends with cats said their kittens adjusted in a couple of days and ate just fine but I want to be sure.

Other than that, he's spry, rambunctious and naps well.

vfrohloff
November 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Are you feeding canned or dry? If the kitten still hasn't eaten today you need to take him to the vet, he'll die by Thursday if he hasn't eaten anything.

Kristin7
November 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
If you are feeding dry, you might try canned, or vice versa. I had the same problem with one of my cats when she was a kitten. As soon as I switched to wet food, she was all over it.

Megara
November 11th, 2006, 11:40 AM
We had some wet food that we bought and it was the same pouch that the lady we took him from gave us. She claimed he'd been eating that but he wouldn't touch it. I bought some Fancy Feast at the convenience store and after holding it up to him and opening his mouth, he ate it and then licked up a lot of juice. And he shook a lot. I tried calling the vet, but sadly everyone is closed for the Remembrance Day holiday. I did get the number for our area animal emergency clinic though and if he's still freaked out over it later we'll call. Thank you.

Angies Man
November 11th, 2006, 12:19 PM
(Disclosure: I've never had a cat.)

Try some canned tuna--probably the kind that's packed in water--oil packed probably would be too rich. I would think that your new kitten is feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the changes.

vfrohloff
November 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
You could try some canned tuna, but it's a bit salty so I wouldn't give it to him on a regular basis. Canned salmon might be a better choice. I dunno though, I've had cats and kittens my whole life and I've never seen a kitten who didn't want to eat unless it was sick. Just my 2 cents.

Megara
November 11th, 2006, 01:18 PM
A lot of my cat owning friends said their kittens were the same way but perked up after a day or so. He's also very clingy, but maybe he's just having some separation anxiety. I think I'll be calling the vet Monday morning just to see what they say. He very well may not be feeling good and we need some peace of mind before his appointment.

Megara
November 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Update:

I coaxed him to eat earlier, and then he just chowed down on a 1/4 can of Fancy Feast. Thank you again :)

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Glad to hear he is eating and hope he continues to do so. :fingerscr

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 02:01 AM
BTW, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see some pics of Beckett. :cat: