Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

update on eye abscess....have a ?

dogcatharmony
November 10th, 2006, 05:58 PM
well so far so good with zoe's eye abscess clearing up but now i have a new question. I took a second trip to the vet when it started to bubble again (as I was told too) , once again it burst before the vet. Anyways he checked her out and there was nothing stuck inside, no infection and no clue how it happened. He said she may have done it herself, she likes to clean her face off on the carpet after eating and she grooms herself like a cat with her paws on her face ( :D me thinks she spends far too much time studying the kitties lol) and he said that i should remove her dew claws. Is this just a money grab.......or is it a valid point??

vfrohloff
November 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM
No No No! It is a total money grab! I have never heard of any vet who wanted to remove dew claws for no good reason. It is painful for the dog, and totally unnecessary, especially considering you don't even know if that's how she got injured. JMHO.

dogcatharmony
November 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM
thankyou for your imput. I have been doing some reading on dew claws and from the cases where the dogs have had them removed , most of the dogs had problems with them already being injured. And she doesn't do a whole lot of running in the bush, so really no chance of one becoming ripped off. Im a little ticked off that he would suggest that, for all i know she could have got a poke next to her eye rolling on the lawn. But i am glad that i has cleared up. So I definetly know what im telling my vet:frustrated:

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Have you been going to this vet for a long time? From what you've posted I would consider finding a new one. :shrug:

dogcatharmony
November 12th, 2006, 02:54 PM
i have been going to this vet with all my animals, he hired on a new vet a couple years ago and this is the one i always seem to get. The senior vet is hard to get an appt. with seeing he is always in surgery. I have started requesting him because i really dont care for how the other vet even looks at the animals. The senior vet looks at everything, temp, ears,eyes, you name it. He is very good with animals and had a wonderful manner too. This new vet seems to be inconvieneced to even take a temperature let along listen to the animals heartbeat. I have talked to the receptionist on how i feel so the next appt. i have if i get the new guy i am going elsewhere