Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty Litter Issues

coper
November 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I have a 5 year old tabby male. He had his face slapped severely by a vehicle and ended up with a broken jaw, broken cheekbone and dislocated hip. He is recovering beautifully from these injuries(it happened a month ago) but I had to feed him soft food for quite a while. Needless to say, it threw off his bathroom situation. He eats well, a bit of dry as well as wet food, can't switch him just to dry yet as it's still difficult for him to chew. He uses the kitty litter to urinate but we're having a hard time with pooping. I wipe vaseline on the roof of his mouth for a couple of days and then he will go, as soon as I stop, he stops. I tried pumpkin in his food and he hates it, so I wiped it on top of his paws and he will lick it but really is annoyed about it. I don't know what else to try and have been told that a constant diet of vaseline is not really great for him. Any suggestions?

heidiho
November 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Vasoline,that just doesnt sound right to me.

vfrohloff
November 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
What kind of soft food? What does the vet recommend you do? Is your cat on any meds that could make him constipated? If you haven't spoken to the vet about it yet I suggest you do so, your cat may have suffered internal damage that makes it difficult for him to poop. Who told you to use vaseline? I've never heard of using it before but it doesn't sound right to me either.

coper
November 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
The vet is the one who said to use vaseline. The cat is getting Fancy Feast wet food(never had before) and IAMs crunchies(which he has always had). He has been checked for internal injuries and is okay that way. Could the wet food be throwing his digestion off?

Maya
November 10th, 2006, 06:42 PM
A vet recommended vasaline to me once along with canned pumpkin for constipation. He said the vasaline makes it down to the lower intestine to help lubricate things. It's probably okay once in a while. It didn't help in my situation anyway because the problem was much more serious than constipation.

I was also letting my cat have a bit of Fancy Feast at the time, it's poor quality, I was letting him have it because he seemed to enjoy it so much and I didn't know much about food at the time. Lots of fibre may not always help with constipation either, i'd also try a bit of plain baked or boiled chicken and or fish (careful of the bones) and see if that gets things moving. I think you need to consider switching from Iams, it's not healthy and there are some other serious issues with it. Someone here should be able to suggest a healthier cat food, you could also try searching in the food forum. Be careful to switch slowly though if you do. Sorry I can't be of help with what foods to try, I didn't get a chance to change when my cat was still with me. I'd also think about looking into another vet if he/she is not encouraging you to at least switch to a vet brand, they should know Fancy Feast and Iams are not very healthy. Shouldn't they? Maybe some don't.:confused: Do you know if they did X-rays or ultrasounds to rule out internal injuries?

vfrohloff
November 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I agree with Maya. Iams and Fancy Feast are terrible foods, and not likely to help your cat's digestion. However, any canned food contains water and therefore probably shouldn't constipate your cat. What do the poops look like when he does have them? Are they soft, hard, what color? There are many good cat foods out there like Felidae, Wellness, Dick Van Patten. I would suggest checking out the cat and dog food forum here for some ideas.

coper
November 14th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The Fancy Feast was given because it is soft and really smelly and we needed to encourage him to try to eat. An animal won't eat what it can't smell, and his nose was swollen shut. He is pretty much done with it now that he can eat hard food. I will check into some other dry food for him. He seems quite normal when he does go, right color, right texture, etc. I'm hoping as he gets more mobile things will get better. He will be going back to the vet in two weeks to get his wire out of his jaw so we'll take another check on it then.