Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rabies Vaccine

pitgrrl
November 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I know this was brought up in another thread, but I can't for the life of me find it and I'm not sure if a definative answer was ever found.

Are rabies vaccines required by law in Quebec/Canada and can titers be substituted for the actual vaccine (though I realize there is debate as to their accuracy for rabies)?

Also, can a vet write a waver in the case of an animal who has shown reactions to vaccines in the past?

Does anyone even know who I would call to find this out?

les
November 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Well, I started one thread about the rabies vaccine awhile ago because one of my dogs was due.

I really couldn't get a "definite" answer: the vet said it was mandatory by law, however when I went to my town hall and asked they had no idea what I was talking about!

I made my decision based on "if" my one of my dogs were to bite someone (now, they never have and I don't think they ever would - however my female is pretty rough when she takes cookies and with the amount of people I run into on a daily basis at the park that give cookies to all the dogs, I wouldn't be surprised if one day she nips someone's skin - trying to get people to understand I don't really want them giving my dogs treats for that reason needs another thread! ;) ) and that someone wanted to see proof of vaccination and I didn't have it - then the consequences could be death for my dog. Personally, I'm not willing to risk that.

That's basically what it came down to for me. Now, if I had a HUGE piece of property and I could walk my dogs there and they wouldn't encounter people I might not get the vaccine, or not as often.

I decided to get the 3 year vaccine rather then the 1 year.

Don't know if that's helpful at all but that's what I found. =)

Opps I forgot: my vet said that titers are not accepted at proof of vaccination. I have read that if a dog had a serious reaction to the vaccine that a vet can write a waver but I never thought to ask that.

Prin
November 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM
All the ever want to see for licensing (as far as I know) is proof from your vet that they are covered for rabies. I get a certificate that is valid for 3 years (my doggies get vaccinated every 3 years), and I have never had a problem with it. Don't know about titers though.

pitgrrl
November 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

The funny thing about the montreal license is they don't actually require proof of anything, you just check a box.

My dogs had a 3 year vaccine last time. but they're now due. I had a big long discussion with my vet and I'm going to stop vaccinating for anything else, but ofcoure rabbies is the really "neccessary" one. I'm just nervous about it because of some of the health issues one of my dogs has, and because last time they both got big bumps at the vaccine site that took forever to go away.

Arrgh, I hate trying to figure these things out.

Prin
November 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
IMO, the main concern is if your dog bites somebody. Without proof of vaccination, who knows what they will do in Quebec...:eek:

Sariss
November 10th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Titres aren't good for proof of vaccines, as they are notorious for being incorrect.

OntarioGreys
November 12th, 2006, 05:15 AM
IMO, the main concern is if your dog bites somebody. Without proof of vaccination, who knows what they will do in Quebec...:eek:
there is only to options put the animal in quarantine and observe and the person then has to start getting needles right away which are very painful just in case

or the animal is killed so they can test its brain matter for rabies(chemical euthanzation cannot be used because it effects the testing results so shooting is the preferred means) , so the normal solution is the latter so the human that is bitten does not have to go through additional trauma.