Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog litter and dry paw?

kmjx65
November 10th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hi, I was wondering...is there is a correlation between my dog using litter to go potty and her dry and scaly paws??

So I noticed the dryness of her paws this past summer. We used to go to the dog park nearly every other day. She loves going. When I noticed the her paws starting to look scaly I went to the vet. She recommended taking her to the park only when it's cooler closer to night time and to put cold cream on her paws.

I did that and saw improvement. Now I'm using a paw balm that was recommended by some a few groomers I called. It was better for a while a now that the wet season has started I stopped applying the balm.

A month or so ago I checked her paws again and they've turned scaly. We haven't been going to the dog park very much and it's been raining a lot...so no sand or hot concrete as the cause.

Could her litter be causing the dryness? It's the only thing close to sand and it is something that is meant to absorb litter? Do I need to start applying the blam regularly again?

Is it bad to litter-train dogs?

TeriM
November 10th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Try changing the litter. For the cats I use Feline Fresh Clumpable Pine Litter. It is all natural and flushable. The clay base in some of the sand type clumping litter can cause some allergic reactions.