Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey is visiting the parental units

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2006, 11:44 PM
This weekend we are taking Joey to visit my parents and I am a little worried.
Joey did spent one night there when we first got him - he did have one accident on their floor which I cleaned up right of way, but I think he was confused and I may have not gotten out in time.

There are no dogs there but there have been male dogs in the past that have apparently marked on carpet - this was probably aboout 3 years ago - so I dont know how long the smell will linger. Joey has gone to another house where a male dog has been and he did try to pee or mark.

I never worry about Joey having accidents at home - we are bringing his kennel, all his stuffies, and he wont be left there unsupervised.

Any suggestions as to how we can have a sucessful visit - and make sure Joey doesnt try to pee there.

TeriM
November 10th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Joey will be a perfect angel! Don't borrow trouble until it finds you :D

Prin
November 10th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I think more frequent pee breaks might help..:shrug:

And don't clean with windex...

jessi76
November 10th, 2006, 08:56 AM
you could try keeping joey on a light leash, hooked to you somehow, so he can't wander off in the house, out of sight. I did that w/ my dog at my parent's house when he was younger and I was unsure if he realized where the doors were to ask to go out. I kept him on a 6' very light leash and hooked it to my belt loop. now that I'm confident he will not have an accident and he knows where the door is, I let him free, but keep tabs on him. since you have kids, perhaps they can lend a hand keeping an eye on Joey.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
you could try keeping joey on a light leash, hooked to you somehow, so he can't wander off in the house, out of sight. I did that w/ my dog at my parent's house when he was younger and I was unsure if he realized where the doors were to ask to go out. I kept him on a 6' very light leash and hooked it to my belt loop. now that I'm confident he will not have an accident and he knows where the door is, I let him free, but keep tabs on him. since you have kids, perhaps they can lend a hand keeping an eye on Joey.

I think thats what I will do their house has like 6 door leading to outside so its understanding if he got confused. Once he knows where the doors are and where outside his I am sure he will be fine. On the down side they dont have a fenced yard so we will be going out on leash for pee breaks - on the upside there is great walking trails for Joey and I go to walking on - so I should be able to keep him pretty warnout while we are down there. :D Its also the land of the unleashed dogs too - so this should be fun. :D

Will take some pics and post in the photothread when where down there. :D

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I'm sure Joey will do fine and looking forward to the pics. :D

Good luck house hunting. :fingerscr

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM
yikes I still have to take some - I forgot my camera so I have to sneak hubbies somehow.

Oh and he is doing awesome - more so than I thought

here are some of the comments so far

he is a well behaved little fellow isnt he
he is a cute little guy
do you think he will kill the squirrel that is wrecking our garden :eek:
he has a very good disposition

oh and Joey is awesome in the car - he is so quiet in his crate its almost scary - I made hubby pull over a few times just to check on him :D

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Yey Joey! What a good boy! :highfive: :dog:

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
See, you had "Joey doubts" for nothing. :D Good boy, Joey....tell mommy to give you an extra treat. :thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 13th, 2006, 09:02 PM
and he even stayed off the couches 80% of the time. :D and he is invited back for xmas - actually my mom asked if we wanted to leave him there until xmas. :eek: :D

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Yey! He really was a hit then. Go JOEY! :highfive:

rainbow
November 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Awww....Everybody Loves Joey :cloud9: