Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why is my dog eating poo???

Slams_58
November 9th, 2006, 10:40 PM
My Shiba, Macy, has recently started eating feces lately and I don't know why or how to stop her. While she's out in the yard, she will eat her's and my Samoyed's poo. Then she'll come into the house and proceed to YAK it up all over my carpets. Today she even threw up on my hubby while belching. ( she's the worst for her burps, puts most men to shame) We clean up the yard every day or as soon as we know there is a pile waiting... but I saw for my own eyes... she waited for my old lady to finish her daily constitutional and then went right to trying to eat it... I went out and stopped her... but I can't always catch her before that.
Chinook was hardly out of her squatting technique before Macy went to her all you can eat poo buffet. Does anyone know why she's doing this?

SunGurl372
November 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I'm sure one of our forum food gurus will be along shortly to help, but poo eating tends to point to a nutrient deficiency. What are you feeding your furkids?

Not all kibbles are created equal, and sometimes upgrading food can lead to a big improvement on some common doggy issues .... shedding, poo eating, itching, etc.

That being said, my sister owned a Bassett Hound who only ate his own poo and NOTHING could stop him. In that case, all you can do is be outside with your dogs so you can clean up the deposits as soon as they are made, thereby preventing the whole issue.

Good luck!

Slams_58
November 9th, 2006, 11:27 PM
She's on Pedigree Lamb and Rice. We're trying to be there before she can possibly get her lips on her newest deposit.. but sometimes making dinner takes me away for a few minutes and next thing I know, she's dining out! I'd love to hear what she could be lacking in her diet that might be making her do this.

SunGurl372
November 9th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Pedigree really isn't a good food at all. Lots of fillers and such in there. There are folks on this forum who are good at outlining all the gaps in the various kibbles out there and I'm sure they'll be piping up soon.

Take a look at the posts in the "Dog and Cat Food Forum" and you'll find plenty of reference information.

My girl had major shedding and itching issues when I came onboard. And I already knew at that time that Pedigree was a pretty poor food. I had thought food such as Iams and Nutro were good...but still, I was quite surprised when I really saw what those foods were made of.

Hopefully a food change will solve the problem. Back to the Bassett in my family, dinner or not, you either watched him or he helped himself to an appetizer!!! :yuck:

Prin
November 10th, 2006, 12:12 AM
If you like lamb and rice, Canidae has a new lamb and rice formula that's fairly simple, but MUCH better than pedigree...
Check it out:
http://www.canidae.com/dogs/lamb-and-rice/dry.html

Pica (eating non-edible things) usually becomes a habit really quickly though. Some dogs can grow out of it but others keep on going no matter what they're eating.:shrug: You're going to have to correct the behavior along with changing the diet.