Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

poop bylaws?

amyk
November 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM
this is like the 5th time in a month or so i've had to pick up another dogs poop on our property (by the sidewalk) :yuck: . i do have a suspect in mind (teenage boy who walks his dog past here several times a day).

is their any point in calling the police if we havent seen the 'crime' take place?

also, is there a fine in london if someone is caught not cleaning up their dog poo?

~Amy

Cathy1
November 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM
This is what I found for London.
4.8 Excrement - removal - disposal - sanitary - immediate
Every owner of a dog shall remove forthwith and sanitarily dispose of excrement left by the dog anywhere in the City.

It's the same where I am. You have to put in a complaint to police or by-law officer, but you have to see who's doing it. If the owner of the dog is fined they can fight it in court and you have to prove it was that person either by having a witness or picture.

mafiaprincess
November 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Need to grab a seat by a window where you can sort of watch for a day.. with a digicam and a good book. :)

Cathy1
November 9th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I had the same problem but with the size of the pile I thought somebody brought their horse in town. It turned out to be a Bouvier. I asked him nicely to please clean up after his dog but he still refused to do it. Then I told him that I had a camera up and I would hand it over to the by-law officer if necessary and after 2 months I have not had to clean up after him.

normag
November 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Good for you, I think people show no respect for others when they dont clean up after there dogs. I have a public walkway behind my house and I cant beleive the poop left behind, do these people think it disappears or sinks into the ground or what.?

coppperbelle
November 9th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I work in a school and we often have a problem with people walking their dog and not scooping. Everybody knows it doesn't count if your dog poops in a park or public space because nobody lives there. pThe police advised us to catch the culprit in the act and take a picture. That way they will have proof and be able to confront the person with the picture.

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I'd say half of the owners in my neighbourhood don't pick up after their dog... And for the most part, its owners of rather large 'muscle' dogs who for some reason think they are too good to clean up?!

I was approached a few weeks back by my neighbour who told me that if I didnt keep my dog in my yard to poop he'd have to call by-law on me. (Charley's recall sucks, so he's never loose unless its by accident, and the few times he has gotten away from me this neighbour has seen him...) Turns out it was the sheppard froma few doors down that was doing the deed.. How do you mistake shappard piles for piles left by 15 lbs dogs! Anyway, all that to say, please make sure you have the right person, its really insuling to be told you don't pick up after your dog when that's not the case.

SnowDancer
November 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM
PetFriendly - When my darling 10 lb. mini Dachshund was alive, my husband was accused by a jogger one morning of not picking up after him. My husband was somewhat stunned since the poop was the size of horse droppings (there was a HUGE Great Dane who lived down the street). Next a.m. my husband was ready for him, asking how on earth he could even think that a 10 lb. dog could pass poop that size and still live to tell the tale. I always pick up after my Eskie - I refer to myself as the bag lady - hanging out of every pocked. Others do not do the same, they just leave it. And who gets yelled at - me! Every time my dog sits down, even if it is just to feel like a little wolf and take in the breeze, someone starts screaming. Guess they don't have the nerve to confront the real culprits. Just hate going for walks these days. We came around the corner this a.m. and came face to face with a huge black Lab - offleash - owner was trailing way behind - and of course dog squatted immediately right in middle of sidewalk. Good news in this situation I suppose is that he was looking a little too interested in my Fluffo - I had already picked him up. I watched the owner totally ignore the poop and keep walking. Where are the animal control people when you need them? I keep seeing the trucks patrolling the street - and I have been stopped 3 times to present our dog licence. Doesn't pay to obey the rules.

Lissa
November 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM
How I wish I could catch on camera everyone who doesn't pick up after their dog. It's so inconsiderate and really very gross, not to mention spreads disease... I just don't know why its so difficult to pick up after your dog! It just gives the city and non-dog owners ammunition against dog parks and all "anti-dog" laws...the consequences are so much bigger than not caring that someone will step in it tomorrow.

Sorry for going :offtopic: but I have to say that litter bugs and people who can't walk 10 feet to return their shopping cart bother me just as much! To me its the same thing as not picking up after your dog and it really shows how inconsiderate we can be... Apparently common courtesy and caring about your environment do not matter:sad:

Prin
November 10th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah, that's the problem- a lot of peed off people take it out on people who DO pick up. I was one of them. I got yelled at all the time when I tried to be helpful and picked up OTHER dogs' business along with mine. Betcha those twits miss me now that I'm gone and the poopies just build up. :evil:

Make sure you SEE no picking up before you come out screaming and waving a broom around.

jessi76
November 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM
the poop was the size of horse droppings

we actually HAVE horses that go up & down our street.... and poop. no one picks it up. I must yell LEAVE IT! at least 4-5 times on a walk up & down my road.

angeldogs
November 10th, 2006, 11:52 PM
There is nothing worst then people not picking up there dog poop.When we were out in edmonton in july.I would walk my nieces dog and some day's it was an obticle course trying not to step in it.she said that was normal.My area is getting just as bad.

mummummum
November 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM
So ... what's the solution ?

Seriously...let's throw out some ideas.

In Withrow and Sunnybrook parks there are plastic boxes strapped to lamp posts full of bags, stocked by Parks and Rec and by neighbourhood people. We tried it in the little park at the end of my road with some success.

So let's hear it! Crazy, zany, off-the-wall... bring it on. You just never know ~ maybe we can come up with something workable.

TeriM
November 12th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I always carry extra bags and offer them to people .... Oh, did you forget to bring a poop bag? Here's an extra one for you :D
Quite often you can shame them into picking it up.

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Oh yeah, that works the best, IMO.:)

mummummum
November 12th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Only if you can catch them in flagrante. I'm thinking about physical changes and additions to the neighbourhood streets and parks. Ideas we could give our city councillors, Works departments and Parks and Rec people.

tarasmom
November 12th, 2006, 03:14 AM
I have a small breed dog and she is now well trained in her box, she pees and poops in the box, I walk her to it and she gos. then I scoop up the papers and replace. She does go out a few times a day and pees, but rarely poops outside, its a great releif to not have to worry about the complainers and if I cant get her out in time( she is at work with me, and if my business calls I may not be able to get her out, I dont have to worry about a mess, Doesnt work well for big dogs although I cant see why it wouldnt
but for small dogs the litter box idea is perfect.
I trained her in a cardbourd box with paper, and now have replaced with a large but shallow plastic tote) she chewed the carboard edges up) and its great, easy to clean and maintain. Oh for free paper, I go to the local variety store and collect the prevous days papers that they are throwing out)

PetFriendly
November 12th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Even something simple like putting back all the garbage contains would help. Most of the park around here don't have garbages because people complained about the smell of them... You can't tell me that dog poop in a bag smells that much worse than last week's tuna sandwich?!

amyk
November 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM
we ended up not calling the police (cowards here, lol). but i was thinking to call them and ask how much is the fine for not picking up poo. say if the fine is $500, it'd be nice if they posted signs in the neighbourhood just as a warning about the fine. that's what they have up in timmins ontario anyways.

the odd thing is, half the time the poo IS in a bag. wtf?? why cant they just throw out the bag out at the park's garbage bin (which is close to our house).

the poo does appear to match the size of the dog. having had dogs my whole life, i know the difference between a great dane poo, lab poo, or mini dachshund poo :evil:

i dont blame people for not wanting to clean up after their large breed dogs. i have a 70lb lab mix. so i only walk him after his had his poo in our yard :thumbs up

~Amy

Prin
November 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM
But what people have to realize is the more loads you pick up the less sensitive you become to them. I used to DIE, I mean DIIIIE, when my bag had a hole in it that I didn't notice. Now, after 6 loads a day, I'm all, "Aw crap! Not again!" :D

angeldogs
November 12th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I double bag:thumbs up .At the dog park they have big gabage cans with lids you have to lift up.And the can are round.Why not put them out.And post a sign with the fine amount.they do it for speed.on hwy6 south to hamiltonwhy not for poop.1st $500 2nd 1000 3rd 1500.after that jail time just to scare them.

~michelle~
November 12th, 2006, 05:28 PM
just so you know if you did want to report them you can just call the animal care and control center in london 519-685-1330 to report their website does not mention a fine though,..... www.accpets.ca but maybe if you catch them in the act and tell them, they'll prob get embarassed and start picking up... also london needs more garbages on the streets to reduce litter of all types.

amyk
November 15th, 2006, 11:12 AM
called the animal control and bylaw officer.. they can do nothing until we catch the person ourselves :sad:

and the poop fine is only $90. i say up it to $500 for each poo, and then people might start cleaning up after their dogs :D

~Amy

mafiaprincess
November 16th, 2006, 11:36 PM
But what people have to realize is the more loads you pick up the less sensitive you become to them. I used to DIE, I mean DIIIIE, when my bag had a hole in it that I didn't notice. Now, after 6 loads a day, I'm all, "Aw crap! Not again!" :D

You know.. when I brought Cider home.. those first like 4 months I wanted to die. The thought of picking up poop made me yak.. And I did everything I could not to.. After that I became desensitized.. and now I don't really care except for the occasional mighty horrific smelling ones, or the puddles of poop when she's ill. But I do my best to get what I can..

I feel bad looking back on the times I didn't pick up in Cider's early days.

MissPeabody
November 17th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Not only is dog excrement, poop, or whatever you want to call it, disgusting, it's unsanitary. Animal (and that includes us) excrement can carry e-coli and hepatitis, just to name two.
Check it out: www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?ID=61&sid=3

Scroll down to about the 4th paragraph. I wonder if more people thought about these things, they'd be more considerate? Maybe not. One day I got so mad at my neighbor for never cleaning up after her dogs, I picked up all the poop I could find, put it in a plastic bag, and tied it to her doorknob.
:evil:

SARAH
November 17th, 2006, 07:35 AM
LMAO, did you see her face when she came home?

We have the same problem here in Dollard des Ormeaux, not so much with people not picking up the poo, most dog owners around us do, but where are the garbage bins?

When I got here 6-7 weeks ago, there were three. I guess the condo-people or whoever puts them out, didnt want them full of snow for the winter (no snow yet though) and there's only ONE left! There is a fine for littering, and one for nor picking up poop, yet there is nowhere to dispose of anything?! What do they want us to do, carry a handbag with proof of ID and dog-tax paid in one hand, and a garbage pail in the other?

Picking up poop is not a problem, as long as it's not liquid (which makes it all but impossible to pick up). And now in the fall it's even easier, just put a leafe or two over the pile and you don't even feel it :) What I have problems picking up/ cleaning, is puke!

One of your descriptions of the obstacle course made me think of Paris (France) where the "trottoirs" (sidewalks) were known as "crottoirs" (crotte=poop, so poopwalks) for a good many years ! The solution they came up with, and that many other French cities copied, was a Poop-patrol, little electric carts with a scoop underneath, and a guy riding around all day keeping the sidewalks clean. In addition, there are special places along the sidewalk, in the gutter, painted in blue with a stylized dog left unpainted in the center, and a sign just next to it with something like "Poop-station" written on it. Dogs (and mainly their owners) are trained to go into the gutter to poop, that way at least others don't step in it! Yes, the poop is just left there, but then the little poop-scooper cart comes along and takes it away.

I have NO idea of the cost, but what does the dog-tax money go to now?

PS, I (we) always pick up after Dani, and will after Bella too, of course!

MissPeabody
November 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately I missed the woman's expression!

amyk
November 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
whoo-hoo!! i rock!

there was someone casually whistling outside our house. it was irritating me, so i looked out to investigate.

it was the teenage boy with his dog. and i saw him throw the poop bag.

so i quickly ran out. followed him home. got his address. :D

i wonder if i should be a good neighbour and put his dog poo on his front door with a note saying "next time we find your dog poo- there'll be a $90 fine from the police". they probably dont have a lot of money. they live in a townhouse. id feel kinda guilty about fining them.

or should we just go ahead and call the police??

im really nervous here. but happy :D

~Amy

mafiaprincess
November 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM
He bothered to pick it up but not take it? My issue was always the picking it up yuckyness.. Once it's in the bag whatever. Though I wish there were more trashcans around..

amyk
November 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM
he lives just a few houses down the street. why not dump it in his trash can?

~Amy

amyk
November 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM
i think what might be the problem too is that his house in a townhouse with one house on each side. so if his trash can is in his backyard he'd have to walk through the house with his poop bag.

~Amy