Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lumpy and shaky

Rob n Cody
November 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM
HI again...it's Robin. I have a vet appt for Cody on Saturday, but in addition to the lump i found (have now located two more, smaller ones) she seems to have weakness in her back end. It doesn't seem to bother her, but every once in a while, her legs will just give out. She gets right back up again like nothing happened, but now i'm getting really worried.
Is this something that can be an effect of something tumor related?
I know i'll get answers soon, but just need something to calm me down til i can get her in.

I have to say, this is truly an amazing resource, if for nothing other than support. I had a huge loss earlier this year (lost my Dad) and am so scared of her going too now that she's getting older.
Thank you all for just being here for each other.
Robin and Cody

pug lover
November 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM
for my own peace of mind i would call the vet and get an earlier appt

good luck and keep us posted

rainbow
November 10th, 2006, 01:02 AM
It sounds like the tumours may be pushing against her spinal cord. Phone the vet and tell them and get an earlier appointment. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr

OntarioGreys
November 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM
There are several possibilities like arthritis, hip dysplasia and possibly lumbosacral stenosis. Lumbosacral stenosis can be difficult and very expensive to diagnosis and treatment is normally spinal surgery, but a much easier and less expensive way to diagnose has been found which many vets are not aware of, an xray should be done first to rule out other possible problems.

In this article there is advice for vets on how to test and a non surgical treatment below the diagram of the pelvis, it was written for retired greyhound owners to pass on to their vets but is a condition that occurs in other large breeds as well, and I did read she was part shepherd and it is a common issue in them

http://greyhound-data.com/dir/397/Lumbosacral_Stenosis.pdf

An acquired disease ocurring commonly in large breed dogs secondary to stenosis (narrowing) of
the vertebral canal at L7-S1. Stenosis develops secondary to one or all of the following: type II disc
protrusion, hypertrophy/hyperplasia of the interarcuate ligament, and thickening of the vertebral arch or
articular facets. Subluxation or instability of the lumbosacral junction may also occur. Other conditions
may predispose or complicate this problem such as transitional vertebra and orthopedic disease,
particularly hip dysplasia. There are multiple terms to describe this condition: lumbosacral instability,
lumbosacral malformation/malarticulation, lumbar spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis). The existence of
multiple terms reflects our lack of understanding of the pathogenesis of this disease.
A. Signalment: Large breed, active dogs, males more frequently affected than females. German
Shepherd Dogs appear to be affected more often than other breeds of dogs.

This article explains the normal diagnostic testing and treatment of
and when you get into this type of testing
D. Myelogram
E. Discogram/epidurogram
F. Electrodiagnostics
G. Advanced imaging (CT, MRI) (dynamic views ideal)
H. Aspiration for cytology, culture
I. Surgical exploration
J. Biopsy the costs will be in the $1,000's with the normal treatment being spinal surgery on top of that,

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/neuroucdavis/2005/vernau2.pdf
which most owners of geriatic dogs find hard to consider and often choose euthansia instead. The first link was written for retired greyhound adopters since this is a problem that also occurs in a large number of greyhounds to give to their vets as an easier way to diagnose and treat and has helped give added years of life to many senior greys without breaking the bank.