Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

50 years Anniversary Gift

poodletalk
November 9th, 2006, 07:19 AM
This week-end I have to go to a party for my brother's in laws who have been married for 50 years.

I don't want to spend too much money, does anyone have any suggestions on gifts?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Wow fifty years thats a long time.

What about doing something sentimental like a photo album scrapbook or something. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM
My parents had their 60th anniversary a few years ago - they got a lot of boxes of chocolates and bottles of wine. :D

Hunter's_owner
November 9th, 2006, 08:58 AM
My aunt and uncle just had their 50th anniversary, and someone did a photo album/scrap book for them. It didn't cost a lot of money at all, but it was a very nice gift. (but it did take a lot of time to do it:shrug: )

poodletalk
November 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I am sure my sister in law will be doing something like that, but I don't know them well enough or have the photos to do something like that.

Keep the ideas coming though!

Prin
November 9th, 2006, 11:43 AM
What about a donation in their name to something they care about?

BusterBoo
November 9th, 2006, 12:03 PM
A gift certificate to their favorite restaurant is always good.....:shrug:

phoenix
November 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM
wow
that's the golden anniversary... what about a CD of mixed music from 1956 ('gold hits')... or a couple of DVD movies from that year?

Good luck!

Prin
November 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM
ooo I like those ideas! :)

hazelrunpack
November 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
wow
that's the golden anniversary... what about a CD of mixed music from 1956 ('gold hits')... or a couple of DVD movies from that year?

Good luck!

Oooo, movies! but make sure they have a DVD player before you get movies! If they're like my Dad (same era) they might still be using a VCR...

TeriM
November 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM
My favorite gift for these sorts of things is a nice picture frame.

Rick C
November 9th, 2006, 05:20 PM
At 50 years they are probably past the point where material things are a big deal . . . .

Buy them an experience . . . . either a dinner or something more elaborate.

I do like the idea of a keepsake book of old photo's . . . we gave that to Carol's mother for Christmas last year and it was a big hit. She's 85.

RC

poodletalk
November 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I was thinking of getting them swarovski crystal that's a wedding bell trimmed in gold. It can be hung on their Christmas tree since it comes with a blue silk ribbon.

What do you think of it?

chico2
November 10th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Seeing we have 9 more years to our 50'th,I would say,it all depends on what kind of people they are,what their interests are..
Could not more of you get together and maybe buy a weekend in a nice Hotel?
A gift cetificate for a nice restaurant is also good..
The Bell-ornament is very pretty,the problems is,Christmas ornaments get put away most of the year.
Personally I'd like a Purple Martin birdhouse on a long pole:crazy:

poodletalk
November 10th, 2006, 08:02 AM
They are not going away people, restaurant people, they don't drink so no bottle of champagne.

I see them twice a year, I can't make them a scrap book or give them any meaningful photograph. I have no idea if they have a VCR or DVD player. They have everything they want, so I am stuck on ideas.

If anyone has more ideas please let me know. I am going shopping today after work of I have another 9 hours to get ideas!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 10th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I was thinking of getting them swarovski crystal that's a wedding bell trimmed in gold. It can be hung on their Christmas tree since it comes with a blue silk ribbon.

What do you think of it?

I think its really pretty - they should like that. :candle: X 50 :D

dtbmnec
November 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM
The Bell-ornament is very pretty,the problems is,Christmas ornaments get put away most of the year.

Well I think the bell is rather pretty too.

She just said that it CAN be hung on the Christmas Tree not that it has to be. It's pretty enough that they can hang it on anything they like. :)

Otherwise I have no ideas....

Megan

chico2
November 10th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I just noticed,they are your brothers in-laws,not yours,those pretty bells would be very appropriate.:thumbs up

HunterXHunter
November 10th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Find an excuse to ask them about stuff like where they went to dine and stuff when they were dating, or where he proposed to her, and then get some kind of gift certificate for those restaurants/places for them so they can re-live 50 years ago :shrug:

glasslass
November 10th, 2006, 10:14 PM
When my parents and my in-laws had their 50th, they really, truly, did not want any gifts. They were at the point where they have too many niknacs and were starting to think about downsizing. Take your digital camera and take lots of pictures. All the important ones, like cutting the cake and the toast, but also concentrate of getting a lot of candid pictures of the guests. Later on, put them all on a CD. Take the time to reduce the file sizes! They will love receiving a disk of the celebration. Even if they don't have a computer, they must have a relative that can play it for them and they can have photo's made of any that they especially like.

glasslass
November 10th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Another thought - Buy a hanging crystal for them to hang in the window to give them rainbows when the sun is shining. You don't need to be practical for a 50th. They already have everything.