Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Borat - 2006

marko
November 9th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Borat is hilarious. Go see Borat.

This is the ultimate fish out out water comedy. A TV reporter Borat (Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen) from Kazakhstan (where things seem not to have progressed at all) goes to the U.S. to make a documentary.

Although some people may take Borat's language out of context and be offended, it does not come from a place of malice. It just comes from a completely different place where Borat's character has never seen a toilet or American TV or know how to act at a formal dinner party. His views on women and children are also not especially modern.

I must confess that I went out with a buddy and had a pint of red right before the movie and that I'm apt to laugh harder even after a pint....and laugh I did. I do believe that I laughed harder than I have ever laughed at a movie before. Thank god I have good bladder control. From start to finish, Borat's speech and actions just keep getting crazier and zanier. It's like one of these non-stop action movies but instead of action, it's zany comedy the whole way through.

and it wasn't just me. Seems that the whole theater must have had a pint as well.

So go see Borat. I'd be very curious to hear what other members have to say.

I give this movie a 9.5/10

Oh yeah. Go see Borat.

chico2
November 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I've seen clips of it and although we have not been to the movies for 10yrs:eek: we are planning to see Borat.

Prin
November 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Is the accent too thick for francos to understand? :o

jiorji
November 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Borat!! I wanna see it too!!:D

i might be tempted to own the DVD in the end

jawert1
November 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM
It is possibly the funniest movie I've seen in years, including a rodeo in the southern part of VA (about as far from where I live as humanly possible but in the same state). I don't think I've ever laughed that hard at a movie - especially the part about 20 minutes from the end in Los Angeles (not spoiling for anyone I hope). Go see it, you'll laugh so hard you'll cry :thumbs up :thumbs up

marko
November 9th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Is the accent too thick for francos to understand?

I don't think so and I'd send you anyway.

So glad you liked it Jawert1! :highfive:

For everyone else - go see Borat.

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I was going to go but had collegaues say they were applalled by it and I was too busy to ask why? Langage? Ethnic slurs? I would like however to make up my own mind and and may see it.

jawert1
November 10th, 2006, 07:51 AM
CK, I hope you form your own opinion by going to see it, it truly is funny when you consider he's this generation's Andy Kauffman :)

Prin
November 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
No... Not Andy Kaufman! :eek: :o :yuck:

susieqt
November 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I went to see Borat last week and though it had some funny parts, I wasn't impressed. It was not my type of movie.

marko
November 21st, 2006, 07:48 AM
Afer discussing the movie with my wife (who did not see it but knows my offbeat taste) this may be more of a boy's movie than a girl's, but I can't be really sure.

In terms of the off colour jokes and racial slurs - they are there, yes. Most of them are against Jews, Women and Children but Cohen is Jewish and actually speaks some Hebrew in the film. This is a mockumentary comedy. Nothing is to be taken seriously. If you are looking to be offended or are easily offended, you will be offended. Borat's attitudes, comments and actions are based on the world that existed 200 years ago (with those values). Then he brings them to America with no malice, just ignorance. That is what makes the film funny. Ok I'll stop now.

Schwinn
November 25th, 2006, 11:51 PM
My interest is slowly being peaked in Borat. I find Sascha Cohen just annoying as Ali G, and a lot of his humour as that character panders to the lowest denominator, and that has really turned me off of him. Right now, I may think about it when it comes out on DVD.