Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Preventing Break-In to Food

TeriM
November 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Just thought I would share my recent discovery on one of the best things (IMO) ever. My dogs and cats are total experts at breaking in to food bags and Lucy would actually eat til she pukes. I had previously rigged a garbage can with bunjee cords which worked but was a pain in the butt. Then .... discovered these lids at Lee Valley Tools (no, I don't work there). They are super easy to open and just snap on to regular buckets that you can get at Rona, Home Depot etc. and are dog proof :thumbs up . Here is the link if anyone is interested.: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10006&cat=2,2260,47776

TeriM
November 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Here is a picture.

rainbow
November 9th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I would still leave the food in the original bag and not dump it into the container:

How to Safely Store Your Dog and Cat Food
Steve Brown and Beth Taylor, who have written See Spot Live Longer, ask the question, "Would you keep a loaf of bread open in your kitchen for 39 days?"

That's how long an open bag of dog food typically lasts. The lengthy storage time and poor storage conditions often lead to food spoilage.

One in three dogs dies of cancer. Brown and Taylor believe that improper storage of pet food is a major contributing factor.

Once the bag is opened, oxygen, light, moisture, mold spores, and storage mites can damage the food.

Every time the bag is opened, oxygen and light enter. Oxidized fats may cause cancer and contribute to many chronic health problems in humans and pets.

Vitamins that are in the food, which are also susceptible to oxidation and long-term storage, diminish the longer the bag is open.

Warm, humid areas (most kitchens) can cause mold to grow on the food, which can also lead to cancer and other health problems. Mycotoxins (the waste products of mold) can kill most dogs slowly by suppressing the immune system and creating long-term health problems in all organs of the body. People don't see low levels of mold and most dogs can't taste it.

Bugs, storage mites, mice, and other "invaders" thrive on dry pet food. Recent research has shown that allergic dogs are frequently allergic to the carcasses of storage mites, which may infest grains, especially those grains used in low-cost dry dog foods.

Their recommendations:

Keep food in its original bag -- don't transfer it to a plastic container. Plastics can leach vitamin C out of the food and the components of the plastics themselves may leach into the food (not a good thing). Also, rancid fat lodges in the pores of plastics that are not food-grade and will contaminate new batches of food.
Buy small, fresh bags of food, enough to last seven days. Look for manufacturing or "best if used by" dates on the bag. If you don't see one, or can't understand the code, contact the manufacturer and ask where it is or how to interpret their codes.
Keep food dry. If the food looks moist, throw it away.
Keep large bags in the freezer. This is the only way Brown and Taylor believe large quantities of food may be kept safely.
If the food is off-color, throw it away.
If the food smells rancid or like paint, throw it away.
If your pets don't want to eat the food, don't force them to eat it.
Don't buy bags that are torn.
Source: www.mercola.com, where there is more information about pet and human health care.

mafiaprincess
November 9th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Nope didn't read Rainbow covered it all..

hazelrunpack
November 9th, 2006, 07:51 AM
How to Safely Store Your Dog and Cat Food
Steve Brown and Beth Taylor, who have written See Spot Live Longer, ask the question, "Would you keep a loaf of bread open in your kitchen for 39 days?"

That's how long an open bag of dog food typically lasts.

OMG! We go through 1 1/2 33-pound bags a WEEK! That 39 day figure must be for little dogs and big bags?

pitgrrl
November 9th, 2006, 08:15 AM
We had to put locks on all the cupboards and relocate the garbage to the top of the fridge becasue the dogs are clearly waaay to smart.

Maybe I should get those buckets for my clothes though, given 5 seconds alone Basil manages to pull all my pants down off the shelf to search the pockets for treats.

OntarioGreys
November 9th, 2006, 08:53 AM
OMG! We go through 1 1/2 33-pound bags a WEEK! That 39 day figure must be for little dogs and big bags?

I can see it happening I have 4 dogs and go thru a bag every 2 weeks.

SunGurl372
November 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Buy small, fresh bags of food, enough to last seven days.

But really, who can afford to buy those small bags when you're feeding medium to large size dogs, when buying the bigger bags cuts the price significantly??? I'd love to keep the food fresher, but man that could get expensive. And in my case, I feed Timberwolf Organics, which isn't cheap to begin with.

Keep large bags in the freezer. This is the only way Brown and Taylor believe large quantities of food may be kept safely.

If I had enough freezer space to store a 30lb bag of kibble, I'd be feeding RAW!!!!

Prin
November 9th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah, Jems and Boobs eat a bag every 2-2.5 weeks.:rolleyes:

It's a good idea though. My old lab used to break into the closet and eat 18Kg of food in one shot... Anything to keep her out of food would have been great back then.

With Jemma and Boo, the bag sits out, on the floor, open... They're hungry all the time but never touch it. Mutants. They're mutants.:shrug:

TeriM
November 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Wow, my four animals would have that bag ripped wide open, have their party hats on, and enjoy a major feast.

The fun part for me would be later as I clean up poop and puke (actually puke is hubby's dept cause cleaning it up just makes me need to puke :yuck: ).

rainbow
November 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I agree with what you guys are saying. I go through a large 33lb. bag in 18 days with my two boys. So, if I only had one dog it would last 36 days which is close enough to what they're saying.....that a bag typically lasts 39 days.

But, I think you're missing the biggest point:

Keep food in its original bag -- don't transfer it to a plastic container. Plastics can leach vitamin C out of the food and the components of the plastics themselves may leach into the food (not a good thing). Also, rancid fat lodges in the pores of plastics that are not food-grade and will contaminate new batches of food.

SnowDancer
November 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I store my Eskie's Fromms in its original heavy bag which in turn is stored in a container with a tight lid, which in turn is put in a cupboard on high shelf. Eskie paws are very similar to raccoon paws - little "hands". We have been buying the smallest bag - lasts about a month - don't feed the recommended amount as it is too rich and my girly guy gains wait too easily - but yesterday had to buy the medium bag as they were out and so were we - size wise it contains 3 times the amount for 2 times the price. So will be getting a bigger container. Not as bad though as when the opened the super jumbo gag of Whitefish and Potato - did his own shopping. Well he does have a charge account at his preferred supplier.

chico2
November 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I guess you learn something every day,I've been putting my cats dry food in metalcontainers with cute pics on them:confused:
They don't eat a lot of dry food,so a bag of 4 lbs Solid Gold,Katzen Flocken, lasts for more than 39 days,as does the Chicken Soup..

meb999
November 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM
We're lucky enough to have a semi-walk-in pantry (with a real door), so I just keep it in there. Buster would eat the whole bag, I'm sure of it. The garbage pail has also been relocated to the pantry. And I can never leave ANYTHING on my counters (not even bananas) :rolleyes:

rainbow
November 11th, 2006, 09:29 PM
We're lucky enough to have a semi-walk-in pantry (with a real door), so I just keep it in there. Buster would eat the whole bag, I'm sure of it. The garbage pail has also been relocated to the pantry. And I can never leave ANYTHING on my counters (not even bananas) :rolleyes:

I'm lucky enough to have a small pantry as well. :thumbs up

rainbow
November 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I guess you learn something every day,I've been putting my cats dry food in metalcontainers with cute pics on them:confused:
They don't eat a lot of dry food,so a bag of 4 lbs Solid Gold,Katzen Flocken, lasts for more than 39 days,as does the Chicken Soup..

Chico, metal containers are okay....it's the plastic ones that are bad. But the metal ones should be washed out. The frequency would depend on how long the food sits in there. I think I would still just put the bag of food inside though as that way you can close the bag to keep the air out.

It's okay to put the bag of food inside the plastic ones but don't dump the food out of the bag into the plastic container.

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Oh, and always make sure to roll up the bag tight to get all the air out. Put something on top of the bag to weight it down if necessary.

mummummum
November 12th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I put the bag inside of a large metal container, cut down the bag so that the top folds easily and use two of those potato chip bag clip thingamabobs over the folded edge to seal it tightly.

rainbow
November 13th, 2006, 02:29 AM
That's a good idea too. ;) :thumbs up