Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toddlers and Litter Boxes

rosebury29
November 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Where do you put your litter box if you have toddlers around?
I need some input. If I put the litterbox out of reach of the toddlers the cat can't get to it and if the cat can get to it the toddlers can!?
We are going to adopt a cat and this is the only issue holding us back at the moment.
Any ideas from those already gone through this would be great.

Hunter's_owner
November 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Well what we have done so that cats can get to the litter, but the dogs can't, is put a cat door on the basement door and put the litter in the basement. So the cats can come up and go down, and the dogs can't get down there. I don't know is this is a possibility, but a cat door is great, even in a large closet, or something like that:shrug:

jessi76
November 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I did basically the same thing, but put a cat door in our laundry room door. our laundry room is small, much like a large closet. this way the cats have access, but the dog doesn't.

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Or you could put a baby gate across the door that's just high enough above the ground for the kitties to get under.:shrug:

Rottielover
November 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I have a litter box on the ground, and just told my daughter it is dirty, she has never tried to go in it

Skryker
November 8th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I don't have a toddler, but I gave up a closet for the cat so the dogs can't get into it. We put hook with a loop of heavy cord on the wall next to the door knob and loop the cord over the knob so the door opens enough for the cat but not enough for the dogs. I guess you could use a security chain like for a front door, too, and put it up high enough so the child can't reach it. And still teach that it's dirty, and not for playing in. ;)

happycats
November 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM
We have a room beside the laundry room in the basement, so my DH put in a kitty door between the 2 rooms. It helps contain the smell better too;) The cats also enjoy the privacy:o

papillonmama
November 9th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I also use a babygate to fence off the area, I've never had to leave space on the bottom as my cats are both excellent jumpers.:)

pug lover
November 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM
all i know for sure is that if toddler is a flusher like mine was keep the litter AWAY from the bathroom

the no clumping litter clogs the toilet and the drain and EVERY THING GOTTA BE REPLACED

poopies go bye bye
:eek: