Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I prevent prostate cancer in a male 'stud'

Jackali
February 26th, 2004, 09:39 AM
I have a male chocolate lab that is going to show in March. If all goes as planned I will be studding him. I would like to know if there is an herbal supplement that I can put in his food that will help to prevent prostate cancer as I know the risks of it are high in un-neutered males.

Thanx!!

mona_b
February 26th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Hmmmmmmm,have you talked to anyone who shows and studs their dog?Just to see what they do?

I asked my vet this a long time ago.He said that un neutered dog is more prone to prostate cancer if he hasn't had sex.Something to do with the build up and not letting it release.

If that made sense.

But i'm not sure how true it is.

Dee_petlover
February 26th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Here is a link that talks about prostate problems in dogs, don't know about how to prevent them, probably just being aware will help you. Perhaps having your vet on top of looking for problems.

http://www.washingtonsquareveterinaryclinic.com/Dogs/prostate_enlargement_in_the_dog.htm

I'm currently experiencing a problem with my male neutered dog who has a large mass in the prostate area. They say that other problems occur in male unneutered dogs frequently, but cancer doesn't seem more prevalent in either. This never occured to us before as he is neutered. We are at a very serious crossroads right now over this and had no idea of what any symptoms would have been. If your dog has any straining with bowel movements take it very seriously!