Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food reccomendations for my mini eskimo

kmjx65
November 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Hello,

My mini eskimo hasn't been doing too well. I think it's the food I'm giving her. In the past it's been Royal Canin - mini puppy, then the adult brand. She was doing well for about 4 months then started having diarrhea. I switched her to Nutro and that ended up being worse. I put her back on Royal Canin.

However, she had some kind of stomach bug about 3 weeks ago and has been on the i/d food. We've been tryng to transition her back to her normal food but it's tough getting her system to stabalize.

I think I want to change her food to something that is higher in quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions on dog food for mini american eskimos? Or mini breeds in general?

Thanks.

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM
It's hard to say what she might be allergic/intolerant to because the foods you've tried weren't great... When you're switching, you're doing it gradually, right? Because royal canin is full of digestive aids and the holistic ones aren't so it's a slow process of readjustment.

I'd suggest one of these (she's an adult, right?)

Orijen: http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/about/

Canidae (lamb and rice or an of the chicken ones): http://www.canidae.com/

Innova (regular, Evo, Evo RM): http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=inn-home

Nature's Variety (their formulas can be a bit complicated for sorting out allergies though): http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1321&-session=naturesvariety:42836EBF1b0d620A58Qqv3A5502 3

Wellness (they're all ok, but Fish and sweet potato might be better for your doggy (keeps the coat nice), but all their formulas are pretty grainy): http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixSwtPot

Good luck!

If there are more allergy/intolerance issues even after switching very slowly, you might have to try an elimination diet. One of the DVP Natural balance foods might help: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/home.html

~michelle~
November 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
hey There will be tons of food suggestions you'll find here..... royal canin is expensive of whats in it not a very good food.... I tried feeding it to my babies, but there was nothing great about it, and nutro is a lower grad holistic brand (good, but theres better out there) alot of the brands youll find recommended here are canidae, wellness, innova, EVO, solid gold, timberwolf organics,eagle pack, DVP etc. There are many people here wo could explain these better, but from what ive heard these are good quality foods. you'll just need to find what works with your dog.
I have personally tried royan canin, nutro, innova, and wellness.
as I said before, there was nothing great about royan canin, it didnt seem to make any improvements in my pets.
When i got my husky X he was on Nutro and he was shedding soo much i had to vacuum everything everyday and the amount of hair was clogging my vacuum on a daily basis (and its a good quality vacuum!)
I then switched all the pets to Innova, my husky's fur is now barely shedding, i brush him and there is barely any fur in the brush, as well his fur is so much softer and shinier. as well as small firm BMS(i also have the cats on Innova as well and there fur is WONDERFUL)
My britany spaniel cross seemed to have some food sensitivities to the chicken in Innova, so he has recently been switched to wellness white fish and sweet potato and his fur is starting to look better and his BM's are firmer.
So good luck with the switching of food remember to do it gradually (unless theres an allergy. and pictures please :)

SnowDancer
November 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I have a 2 1/2 year old 22 lb. Eskimo - so a small standard. At 9 months I switched him to Fromms Four Star Salmon A La Veg - no corn - Eskies do not tolerate corn well (I know corn is not popular, but Eskies just don't tolerate as well as other breeds) - and some have issues with wheat. Eskies generally do well on fish based foods. I also feed my guy wheat free cookies (he loves a bit of bread so he needs to keep his wheat options open). I am not certain if your pup is too young for the Fromms. If you e-mail the company and ask they will respond. It is a rich food - as are the other varieties - there is Whitefish & Potato (my guy likes it too, but it smells seriously fishy); and Duck and Sweet Potato and a Chicken version. But I find the Salmon best for him. Before we switched him everyone was thinking digestive enzymes. He is a bit of a smooth operator - no Peanut Butter for him, but is much more regular now. You will want to watch how much you feed as well - Eskies gain weight very easily - "we" have just been on a diet and lost 5 lbs. - I was almost ready for a thyroid test - gained 5 lbs. in the 2 1/2 months leading up to his 2 year physical. Many Eskies have weight issues. You might want to lurk on the Eskimo board - www.eskie.net - you can do a food search - just a few areas you can't access without joining to get some info. Also get some info on personality traits to look forward to! (Note - if you haven't given you pup a smoked type of bone yet - think Cujo - mine had has first - and last - 2 weeks ago and he is totally non-food aggressive with me. Thought I was going to have to get a tranquilizer dart - something that projects - to get it away from him. Hope you find a food that works for you. Good luck with the white fur - sure wish my clothes didn't used to be black.

kmjx65
November 8th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I never knew Royal Canin to be so bad for dogs. I've heard so many good things about the brand/food quality from other dog owners, people working at pet stores, and even from my Vet. It's shocking to me.

Other issues I have with my dog...

1. She has been eating her own poop since she was a puppy. She doens't eat any other dog's poop, just her own.
Forbid didn't even work to stop her from taking bites.

2. She has started to eat a lot of grass or dry leaves when we go out.

3. Her tears and staining has gotten much worse the past 3 months or so.

I've been reading up on many sites, books, and articles about these situations and everything is pointing to poor nutrition.

I'll definitely start gradually switching her to a better quality food.

Thanks again!

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yep, all three are signs of missing nutrients. Good luck finding a better food.:)

OntarioGreys
November 9th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Some dogs simply enjoys eating poop, and will do so regardless of what you feed.

As far as tear staining one of the culprits can beet pulp, breeders have tend to notice that with dark or black dogs their coats take on a reddish tinge, and I noticed more of the red tear stains when I had fed a food with beet pulp

I have had Nikki on Canidae with good results and because I have one dog that needs a grain free diet, I am currently feeding Innnova EVO RM formula, she is almost 9 years old the oldest of my 4 dogs and is my puppy's playmate and has no trouble keeping up with him and wearing him out. she is a 26 pound standard

SnowDancer
November 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM
My Eskie is overly fond of his own poop as well - although he no longer tries to beat me to it as I bend over to scoop it up. He absolutely adores grass, leaves, twigs - anything on the street - especially freshly cut grass. He isn't missing any nutrients, he is just a Hoover.

Absolutely no yellowing of his eyes. Started for about 5 days around 1 year of age. I switched him to bottled water as I knew that had worked for some people - and it worked for my guy. Just wish he wasn't so fussy over brand of bottled water. I also keep a couple of cans of I/D in the cupboard for emergency purposes. He doesn't like the kibble version.

Prin
November 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM
lol Just out of curiosity, what brand of bottled water does he like best, SnowDancer? :o

~michelle~
November 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM
snowdancer i dont mean to thread jack here, but there are currently research pointing to the amount of toxins found in bottled water (the plastic is weak and thin, and does not have a strong composition) the plastic is releasing toxins in to the water. this is especially true if you are continuously refilling bottles ment to be disposed of (i know your not doing that for your pup, but just thought ppl should know) Could you maybe try just buying a high quality water filter, or a water softener instead. (because really thats all bottled water is). but that is cute, so i am assuming that she doesnt drink the toilet water then ;) my pups favorite water is puddle water. he is not a very classy man

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Along with correcting the dog when it eats its poop, and switching the food like you're doing, Pet Value sells a powder you can mix with their food or peanut butter, that makes the poop taste really bad but doesn't harm the dog at all (my guy has a sensitive tummy too and he was ok with this). It took about 3 weeks for it to work with our dogs, then we only had to use it for a few more weeks before we broke them of the habit. The stuff is call Stop Eating Poop (real original huh! ;) )

My dog also drinks filtered water. While he still has tear stains from grass allergies, they are less stained since we switched the water over (he's ok on well water though, just not city water that's been treated)

kmjx65
November 9th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I'll probably start giving Ebie filtered water.

I've been cleaning her eyes with these tear stain removing pads for twice a day for the past 2 months. No real improvement. We'll see if the change in water helps.

I went to the pet store and bought solid gold. She seems to like it but then again she likes all food. As of yesterday she's been getting a mix of mainly the i/d food and a litle bit of solid gold. She doing well so far....no vomiting or gagging. fingers crossed!

I think she might be intolerant to chicken. The i/d is turkey meat and the solid gold is lamb. Is there a way to test intolerance?

Is lamb a good choice for protein? I read on some other threads that it may not be thest source of protein. Should I get a supplement? I saw there the natural balance dog food rolls you can use as an addition to the dry food.

What do you guys think?

SnowDancer
November 10th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Prin and Michelle. The little devil prefers San Benedetto (or an Italian bottled water or Evian. I tried President's Choice for him and my husband - even put down separate bowls (teacups for El) and he could still tell! Michelle, I know all about not reusing plastic bottles. Could do the filter routine but just haven't gotten around to it. I am careful with water because I get kidney stones - actually Evian water is the water most recommended by stone sufferers - and I guess my Eskie is being "smart" because Eskies are prone to stones. At least so far he is proving to be very healthy - the fish based diet working really well for him and are Northern Biscuits and The Barkery Biscuits. Never again will he have a smoked bone, the little Cujo.

Prin
November 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM
phew! I haven't tried san benedetto, but IMO, evian tastes best at room temp. The others taste very plasticky and sometimes rusty.:yuck:

I don't think the dog food rolls are a good add in. Their ingredients are pretty sucky. It's a nice idea, but IMO, a good canned food (like Merrick, Wellness, or Innova) would be better.

Good luck!

Angies Man
November 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Probiotic will do a lot to settle down the G-I tract.

I'm feeding Angie California Natural Lamb and Rice formula puppy formula www.naturapet.com. A very simple formula, other than the usual vitamin and mineral supplements and added taurine (an amino acid that helps with growth,) it's just lamb meal, white and brown rice & sunflower oil.

Angie isn't a picky eater, but not an enthusiatic eater, either. She likes this stuff okay, it seems to treat her okay, and with an occasional Probiotic tablet, the little piles in the yard are easy to clean up.

At 7 months, she's small for a standard poodle, but is nicely filled out and has lots of energy for running and play.

I guess I'd suggest getting samples of various 'holistic' dog foods and do some trials with them. I'd use the probiotic tabs, and get your pup some vitamin/mineral supplements as well.

~michelle~
November 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
what a smart little eskie indeed ;)

katy82
November 12th, 2006, 09:48 PM
My eskie had problems with tear staining for a while and as soon as we switched her to a different type of food the tear stains faded and went away. We have her on a lamb food now and she's never been happier!

jessymoka
November 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I don't know if this is helpful or not...

I have a papillon / Mini American Eskimo mix.

We started off feeding her Nutro Ultra, she was SO constipated eating that.
We changed to Iams and we have not had any problems on Iams.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Uhh... Iams isn't great food. You'd get a much better coat on a better food (which is a reflection of what's going on on the inside...).

Hunter's_owner
November 13th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah I agree with Prin, Iams is not a great food at all.

KANN849
November 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Hi:

I have a mini eskie also. April is 1 year old. I feed her Canidae lamb and rice and DVP Natural Balance. She's also done ok on Merrick but did occasionaly have diarrhea. Since I've switched - no diarrhea.

Good Luck

Kathy

kmjx65
November 13th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I have one last question....for a 13lb eskimo..what proportion of wet and dry fod should I mix for her meals? I feed her twice a day ~ 1/3 cup each meal of dry food.

The dry food is the Solid Gold lamb food and her wet food is Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Wellness (wet) fish and sweet potato:
12.5oz can: 335cal
6oz can: 161cal

Solid Gold Hundnflocken (adult):
Per cup: 367cal

So feeding 2/3 cups a day DRY, is the equivalent to 3/4 of a 12.5 oz can of wellness (roughly). So you just have to balance it out, depending on how much dry you feel your doggy needs.

For every 1/3 of dry you remove (like the 1/3C measuring cup 2/3 full), you add a 1/4 can of Wellness..

Does that make sense? :o

kmjx65
November 14th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Sounds good. Thanks! :thumbs up