Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WTH is WRONG with people?

Mahealani770
November 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM
:mad: Ok, I'm furious right now so I'm going to try not to ramble. Let me start from the beginning. We have some neighbors who have 2 little Shih Tzus. They started out having one and then one day, all of a sudden, they had 2. So, my partner found out from the wife that while she was walking her male Shih Tzu, some people across the street were walking their female, puppy Shih Tzu and said they didn't want her anymore and offered her to the wife. So, the wife took the female. This is how she ended up with 2. She made some conversation with my partner about how she planned on breeding her with her male:frustrated: . I, needless to say, was not happy to hear that and have been planning on gathering some information for her as to why she shouldn't do that. But in casual conversation, she told my partner that the psycho she got the female from kept her in a cage for days at at time and obviously just didn't care about her. But, she had started asking the wife to pay her for the female and was harrassing her about giving her back! My partner told her hell no, she gave her away and that's it, don't give her back. The wife said she wouldn't. This was about a month ago and we've been seeing the 2 shih tzus together so we didn't think anything about it.

This morning, at around 6:30am, my partner and I walked out of our apartment to go to work and here comes the little female baby shih tzu running up to us on the sidewalk. It was freezing this morning and when I bent down to pet her, she was very cold. We stood there for awhile waiting to see if the neighbors were walking her and were just behind her somewhere. Nobody came. So, she followed me back to the neighbors door and she began scratching at the door and whinning. She knew where she belonged. I knocked and knocked for a good 10 mins. Nobody came to the door. So, I had no choice but to put her in our kitchen until I could come back at lunch time and try to wake the neighbors up again. So, I put Nicky (Pom) in his cage, put some papers, food, water, a towel and a chewy down for the puppy. I then baby gated her into the kitchen so that Minnie (new cat) couldn't get to her and so that she'd be safe while we were gone.

So, the whole way to work my partner and I were like, wtf? Did she slip out when the neighbors left for work? But that didn't make sense because how do you not see your puppy slip out, you know? We were perplexed and I was worried and confused about the whole situation. My partner suggested that maybe the psycho lady who first owned the puppy, got her back and then abandoned her by putting her outside. I told her that was ridiculous. Who would do that? Why ask for your dog back and then put her out? Anyway, we went to work and that was that.

I go to a doc's appt. and got out earlier than expected so I decided to stop by the apartment complex to see if I could wake up the neighbors to give them their puppy back. It took forever, but the man came to the door with his male shih tzu. He was half naked so I obviously woke him up. I had only spoken to the wife before and had no idea that this man could barely speak English. I asked him, Are you missing a dog? I have your dog! I could barely make out what he was saying, but basically he said no, we don't have her anymore. The lady wanted her back so we gave her back. He said something about the psycho lady keeping the poor dog in a cage for 3 days and something else but I couldn't make it out. At that point, I was furious. I said, do you know that they put her outside? She came running up to us before dawn this morning and she was freezing!! We have her in our kitchen right now! He just kept saying, really? really? I asked him did he want her, does your wife want her, because if not, I'll take her in. He said yes, they wanted her but the lady across the street was harrassing them so they gave her back. I told the man that I would give her back under ONE condition, and that was that he was NOT to give the puppy back to the crazy b*tch across the damn street! I repeated myself over and over again. He said ok. So, I go get the puppy, who was running freely through the apartment with Minnie at that point..lol Somehow she got out of the kitchen. I picked her up, and gave her to the man. He put her down and she immediately started playing with her pal, the male shih-tzu and the man rubbed her tummy and seemed very happy to have her back home. The puppy was very happy to be back.

I, on the other hand, am worried sick that they are going to get talked back into giving her back to the psycho across the street. Im very anxious and paranoid right now and want very much to speak to the wife, who speaks English very well. I'm on the verge of calling the police on the psycho across the street. I have no idea which apartment she's in, or what her name is or even what she looks like. All I know is that she lives on the third floor. You tell me that a puppy could "accidentally slip out" when she'd have to climb down 3 flights of steps behind you! Or, how could you not notice your puppy isn't in the apartment with you? I'm just prepared for those bull*hit excuses if she tries to give them to the neighbors if or when she comes looking for her. We don't have an animal precinct here or any way to report animal cruelty, that I know of. I found this out a few years ago when I wanted to become a humane law officer. Atlanta doesn't have those here. I just don't know what to do. I'm so furious that I'm shaking and I can't think about anything else until I speak to the wife. I'm at work and can't concentrate. What if the psycho goes to get the puppy and they hand her over again? If I would've known all this was going on, I never would've knocked on that door and told him I had the puppy. I'm just :pray: that they don't get talked into giving the puppy back, no matter what that psycho threatens to do! :mad:

WTH is WRONG with people? Who puts a baby female unspayed shih-tzu out on the damn street in freezing temperatures to fend for herself all night! :mad: People make me SICK! If I have to pay the psycho some money, just to back off and leave the dog alone, I will. Right now, all I care about is the puppy. If I have to hide her, I will. I'm already hiding Nicky and Minnie. I don't care at this point. I just can't wait to talk to the wife so that I can get a good handle on what's really going on. Any suggestions?
Thanks for reading,
~A very pissed, Mahealani~

Frenchy
November 8th, 2006, 12:21 PM
That sucks ! I hope you get to take the dog and I know what you mean by giving her money to get her off your back but that would suck too. She only deserves a slap in the face :mad: Lie if you have to...maybe a rescue could take her (then again,you would have to lie a little)

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Definitely. A few people need some serious slaps here.

:grouphug:

chico2
November 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I'd say thank's to Pets.ca,for making me realize there are people everywhere who think just like me.:thumbs up
Mahealani,I know you are furious right now,as would I be.
I don't even think the people with the other dog are right for the pup,since they are planning on breeding her,but she's better off than with this other evil person.
Please keep your eyes open for this pup,but I am sure I don't need to tell you that.
A large city like Atlanta has no SPCA??or shelter???
It's freezing in Atlanta:confused:

PetFriendly
November 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It's freezing in Atlanta:confused:

Freezing is a relative term... ;)

Angies Man
November 8th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Freezing is a relative term... ;)

I'd be surprised if it were actually freezing at night in Atlanta, yet.

But that's not the point of the post. Leaving a small breed or a puppy (or any dog!) outside to run the streets is unforgiveable--it leaves the pup at the mercy of predators, subject to injury by cars, by getting into garbage and toxics, or theft.:eek:

If I found a puppy out running, it would mysteriously "disappear." To the local no-kill shelter or one in another city.:evil:

Mahealani770
November 8th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Actually, it has hit below 32 degrees F here in Atlanta lately. We had ice on the roads yesterday morning. We've had the heat on for about 2 weeks. It gets warmer as the day goes on, but very cold at night starting late October.

Anyway, the point is, I'm just sick about this poor dog. I sware, if I go home and find out that the husband and wife gave the dog back AGAIN, there will be hell to pay. I will report the crazy lady to everyone who will listen! I've already written several emails to people at different SPCAs that I found on the internet today. I just wish we had an "animal precinct" here, like they do on TV.

I'm just sick to my stomach, wondering what's going to happen when 'crazy lady' sees the puppy with the neighbors? Or, if I have to take the dog in, what she's going to say if she sees her with us? What if she tries to say that the dog got out? It happens, but I know it didn't happen in this case. Do I have to hand her over to this lady? Do the neighbors have to hand her over if she comes knocking? This woman has REPEATEDLY given away, and taken back this puppy to and from this husband and wife. She gives her away, and then harrasses them for money. I guess when they cant take it anymore, they give in and give her back. I don't know, but I'm going to find out! You don't know how bad I can't wait to see the wife. I'm going to get down to the bottom of this b.s.!

Skryker
November 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM
The poor little thing! She must be so confused after all this. Good for you for taking the time and energy to find out what can be done for this girl. Good luck.:thumbs up

chico2
November 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Mahealani,I know how angry you can get and how frustrated you feel in situations like this,I've had to interfer on several occasions in my lifetime.
Only this Sunday,there was an incident with a tiny JRT puppy,that had me seeing red:evil: you just have to do something about a bad situation,or you will not sleep at night.
The animals are innocents and we have to speak up for them and take action..
I hope there will be a solution to this problem and that your neighbors have enough backbone,not to be intimidated by the former owner.
I am really glad the pup has you on her side:love:

joeysmama
November 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM
My vote ? The next time something like this happens YOU pretend not to speak English. You have no idea what they're saying when they ask about the dog. You don't even understand the word "dog." And in the meantime the poor pup goes to people who don't want to breed her or to sell her to someone who does.

It makes me so sad that the poor little thing was out in the cold with no one to care where she was or if she was ok !!!

Frenchy
November 8th, 2006, 09:00 PM
If I found a puppy out running, it would mysteriously "disappear." To the local no-kill shelter or one in another city.:evil:

That's what I was talking about lying ! :thumbs up

FelineFatale
November 8th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I wouldnt have have her back

t.pettet
November 9th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Hopefully you'll get another chance to grab her as neither of these morons should have her in their possession. I get as angry as you presently are quite often but have found conversing with people who are SO STUPID is a waste of time and just take matters into my own hands by re-homing the dog and feigning ignorance about what happened to the dog by stating 'what dog'. Good luck with this challenge. Nicky must be enjoying all this extra companionship:)

Mahealani770
November 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the comments, care, advice and sympathy for the position that I was in yesterday. Basically, I went home, talked to the wife, heard some angry, threatening messages from the psycho lady from across the street that she left on the wife's voicemail which threatened to take her to court and call the police if she didn't give her $300 for the puppy, etc. I told the wife that if she needed a witness in court, I'd be there with BELLS on!

I also found out that the situation with the puppy being outside yesterday morning at 6:45am went a little something like this: The nut job across the street called the wife and left a message on her cell phone. She said, "Ginger took off this morning and broke off of her leash, so I went up stairs to get her another one but I have to go to work in a few minutes so be looking out for her! She's probably at your door step now. I'll talk to you later."

Can you freaking believe that???:frustrated: :eek: :mad: So the puppy "breaks out of her leash" and YOU LEAVE HER THERE TO GO UP 3 FLIGHTS OF STEPS TO GET ANOTHER LEASH, LEAVING HER ON THE GROUND TO LET GOD KNOWS WHAT HAPPEN TO HER??? AND THEN YOU JUST SKIP OFF TO WORK, NOT KNOWING WHERE SHE'S AT??? THEN YOU LEAVE A MESSAGE FOR SOMEONE WHO IS AT WORK, NOT ANSWERING HER PHONE AND WHO HAS NO IDEA THAT THE PUPPY IS SCRATCHING AT THE DOOR BACK AT YOUR APARTMENT COMPLEX??? ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!???!!! WTH IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

Yeah, wow, she REALLY cares about her puppy and has a wonderful self-conscience. Why wouldn't she pick the baby up and take her back inside? Why wouldn't she go after her? How could she just skidaddle off to work like all is well in Mr. Roger's neighborhood not knowing what was going on with her puppy? Jesus, Im shaking. Ok, I need to calm down.

Anyway, long story short. The wife is going to pay the lady her pathetic $300 this Friday so that she gets the hell away from them. So, that's better than the puppy going back to the psycho. However, my next project is to convince her not to breed, but I doubt I can sway her. She's a very strong-willed, VERY LOUD Dominican woman..lol

Oh, and get this. Lastnight while I was taking Nicky out to potty, what do I see? Another homeless, non-tag wearing, scared to death, submissive, frightened, Shih-Tzu/Lhasa x female dog, lost, dazed and confused, hiding under my truck. I almost didn't see her because she's black. She just looked like a black mop and it was very dark outside. I called her to me, and she army crawled over to me and laid flat out on her belly at my feet. It was the most pathetic, overly-submissive thing that I've ever seen and it just broke my heart. I scooped that baby up, put her on my chest, and she went stiff on me. I carried her inside and my partner was like, WTH..not another one! lol
I said, why do I have to see every stray animal in the WORLD lately? lol So, that was a HUGE "to do" lastnight and VERY stressful. We gave her a bath and the dog would NOT stop crying. I'm talking, non-stop. And when she and Minnie the cat met, it was the worst fight I've ever seen. So, we had to take the stray dog to the store with us as we've run out of room in our little apartment to sequester anymore stray animals..lol Luckily, the Dominican lady found out we had her and went and found the little girl's mommy. So, it was a pretty eventful day and night yesterday. I think I've seen about 10 new gray hairs on my head..great! lol
I was so stressed out that I even shed a few tears. No more strays! Please!My heart can't take it! lol

~M~
The Stray Angel

chico2
November 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM
WOW,you're having quiet a time of it:yell:
There are people,like most of us here,who naturally always look around and notice little critters and often it seems like we have an animal-magnet.
Then there are others who would walk by an injured or stray animal thinking nothing of it,it's someone elses problem:frustrated:

How is little Nicky reacting to all this,his little world is turning up-side-down and hows Minnie doing??
I hope your neighbor will pay you back the $300,or at least have the little girl spayed,to ease your mind:fingerscr .
But I suspect they have $$$-signs in their head,selling puppies..let's hope I am wrong:pray:
Thank's for caring:thumbs up

cpietra16
November 10th, 2006, 08:41 AM
:thumbs up :D No one said being an angel was an easy job...but you guys are doing a great job. I wish half the people I meet could be half as concerned when they see a stray. good luck. It will work out.

Mahealani770
November 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Chico2
How is little Nicky reacting to all this,his little world is turning up-side-down and hows Minnie doing??

Hey Chico, thanks for the support and encourgement. Nicky tries to ignore the kitty as much as possible. He's kind of like a crabby old man and she's like a young kid trying to play with him..lol. It doesn't go over very well. It's so cute. Minnie will crouch down behind a door and wait for Nicky to go prancing by and then BOO! She jumps out at him, totally expecting him to react and play back with her and she looks so disappointed when he just keeps walking or turns his head up. It's totally entertaining for us, though.:evil:

I have noticed Nicky becoming very clingy with me since the kitty has arrived though. And actually, he guarded me a little bit this weekend, which is very surprising since I had broken him of guarding my partner a LONG time ago! My partner bent down to give me a kiss, Nicky was laying behind me and he actually growled at her! I was in shock. He has never guarded me, it was always my partner. So, I don't know what the heck is going on.

Minnie sleeps on my chest and loves to lay her cold little nose RIGHT on my lips. The wife has a few pictures of us sleeping together but I don't want to post them because I look BUSTED! lol

Originally Posted by: Cpietra16
No one said being an angel was an easy job...but you guys are doing a great job. I wish half the people I meet could be half as concerned when they see a stray. good luck. It will work out.

Thanks Cpietra! It's just hard noticing every single stray animal in the neighborhood because I want to take them all in but obviously can't. I do have my eye on a Calico that's running around our complex though:evil:

I decided not to take Minnie to the vet on Friday, but to instead take her to a traveling group of vets who give low-cost vaccinations for a good cause. So, I'd much rather support that than a vet. My poor wife had to stand in line for 3 hours by herself, while I was at my friend's house getting ready for my birthday party. Minnie fell asleep in her cat carrier and her little body is all twisted around. She looked so uncomfortable but she was KNOCKED OUT! lol I'll have to post those pics of her waiting in line with her other Mommy. Anyway, she got 4 shots, some stuff shoved in her mouth, her nails clipped, some blood drawn and we got a poop box to send a sample out in. The vet there also determined her age at 9 mos to a year, but they didn't look at her teeth, just her body. So, I don't know how accurate that guess is. We have to take her back in 2 weeks for another test and this time I will be there and I'll get her weight and some other questions answered. But so far, everything is fine with our little girl! She is such a joy! Thanks for the support!

MissPeabody
November 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I think that most of you who responded to the "What's wrong..." post have the right ideas, especially those who agreed with Angies man. I work at an animal shelter in California and have seen more stupid people in the last year than I had in my entire lifetime prior. Lying is absolutely OK if you're protecting a helpless animal. I do it all the time and don't feel the least bit bad, or guilty, or immoral, etc.:evil: