Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vomiting

kmjx65
November 8th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and am pretty desperate for some advice. My dog is a little over a year and a half old. She has had a few GI problems in the past but her vomiting has now ben persisting for 3 weeks.

Her past problems include diarrhea caused by some parasite. Around her one year mark she had severe diarrhea again. We think this time it was caused by feeding her food that disagreed with her system. (I think her food was Nutro - healthy coat...something like that). The vet had her on the i/d diet for a while and then we switched her food to Royal Canin which she had been doing great on for the past 6+ months

** my first question is: how do you know if your dog is allergic to her food? Can my dog develop an allergy to her food after eating it for 6+ months?

3 weeks ago she was vomiting severely through the night. I took her to the ER, got her a fluid pack under the skin and an anti-nausea shot as well. It didn't let up so she had to stay overnight with an IV, got some x-rays, etc..

Diagnosis: Gastritis/stomach bug

We had to put her on the i/d diet again and the vet recommended slowly putting her back on her food. She had been doing fine for a week then all of a sudden she vomited...1 or 2 times in the middle of the night. she's still on the mixed diet

I think at one point she did eat some rice bc it's her favorite food. I gave her a tiny bit as a treat. but the next night she threw it up undigested.

She's back on the i/d food but today it got worse. She's not even holding her food down, it just comes back up right away.

** my second question is: can a stomach bug persist for more than 3 weeks? could this be something more serious?

Thanks.

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 01:27 AM
my first question is: how do you know if your dog is allergic to her food? Can my dog develop an allergy to her food after eating it for 6+ months? Allergies are usually manifested by itchiness, ear infections, itchy paws, etc. Throwing up could be caused by an intolerance to the food (among other things). Both allergies and intolerances can develop over time.

** my second question is: can a stomach bug persist for more than 3 weeks? could this be something more serious?Yes and no. It can persist, but you should be actively treating it. With Boo, who was intolerant to his food, he would get the pukes and diarrhea and needed an anti-nausea shot to stop the vomiting, and antibiotics to stop the infection. What was happening with him was his body was so affected by the chicken he was intolerant to that it would cause an imbalance in his bacterial flora (the bad bacteria took over) and he ended up with bacterial overgrowth in his GI tract. That could be happening in your case, but it's very hard to know for sure. There could be so many causes for this sort of thing.:shrug:

kmjx65
November 8th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for your input. I'm going to be changing my dog's food to a high quality brand. if that doesn't work we'll be going to the vet.

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Be sure to switch gradually (did I say that already). :) Good luck!