Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cognitive dysfunction in elderly dog?

susan13
February 25th, 2004, 06:39 PM
I have a 15 yo mini poodle that was diagnosed with diabetes almost 5 years ago. The diabetes has been well controlled with Humulin N insulin, approx. 10 units every morning. She also has been diagnosed with heart disease and takes enalapril and coenzyme q10.

Recently, she has developed the following symptoms: restlessness (she repeatedly jumps off the couch and then wants back up 10 seconds later), constantly following me around, excessive panting, apparent deafness at times, somewhat disinterest in her favorite foods.

I'm wondering if this is a dementia process? Any information or advice you can give me I'd greatly appreciate!

Lucky Rescue
February 25th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Yes, dog do get a form of canine Alzheimers. My last dog had it, but his symptoms consisted mainly of appearing confused. He would walk into the house after a walk and just stand there staring, like he couldn't remember where to go. Basically he acted the same way a person who has this condition might.

He was also becoming deaf, but ate with more gusto than ever

Your dog's symptoms, like the panting and disinterest in food, sounds like something else entirely and warrant a vet visit.

susan13
February 25th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Yes, I have taken her to the vet. She prescribed Valium and said elderly dogs sometimes develop "nervous" conditions. The Valium leaves her too sedated. Then sometimes it doesn't even take affect. I'm trying to gather more info to show the vet so she will consider additional testing.

Carina
February 25th, 2004, 08:28 PM
I had a very old dog who got a mild form of "doggie alzheimers" and acted just like LR's dog did...a bit addled at times. She would wander into a room and sit down facing the wall for no apparent reason, poor old dear. And she got quite deaf and very hungry - that was the prednisone she was on, I'm sure.

I'm sure there's this can take different forms though - has your vet given her a thorough exam - urine & blood tests & a complete going over? A CBC (complete blood count) can spot many conditions older dogs might be prone to - diabetes, cancers, kidney functions, etc...if nothing else you could rule some things out.

Luba
February 25th, 2004, 08:42 PM
It could just be complications from diabetes.

There may be a chance the insulin is either too high/low

Dosages could be off, and may be altered according to the dogs food intake. Rediscuss this with your vet.

Perhaps smaller doses more frequently are the answer.