Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Matted fur.

Jackie467
November 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Ok I'm probably just overreacting but thought I would see what you all thought.
Ok heres the deal, last night I came home and decided that I'v been pretty busy the last week (my hubby lost his job, long story, but got a better paying one now so it's been solved) and not spending enough time with Jazzy. So I call her over for a cuddle and pet fest. Got her treats out and everything. Ok normally I don't really pet her back by her tail because she doesn't like it, but I noticed that her fur was sticking up kind of funny there. So I look and her fur is all matted up back there pretty bad. Now this is very unusal because she is a short haired cat and has NEVER had a matt before. I usually brush her once in a while, but normally i don't have to she takes care of things herself. So anyway I spend about an hour with a comb getting the matts out.

Now I'm getting really paroniod that something is wrong because I heard that when a cat gets older and starts to get sick they'll stop grooming themsleves. She just turned 14. I haven't noticed any strange behavior otherwise. She is still playfull, eating and drinking fine, and using the litterbox as normal. She doesn't really seem any different than normal except that she obviously hasn't been grooming as she normally does. Is this something I should worry about, or is it possible that she is just getting lazy in her old age because I have been brushing her more so she expects me to do it?

Sorry I'm so freaked out but I'v had her since I was 8 so I can't really even remember not having her around. I want her to be one of those cats that live for 20 or so years.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
When was the last time she was checked by rhe vet? Did she have a complete geriatric blood panel done?

chico2
November 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Jackie,my 12yr old Rocky got matted and had a very dull coat in the summer,he to is a DSH.
I had to cut out his matts and brush him several times a day.
He has since had a complete geriatric bloodpanel and urine test done.
It was discovered he has Hyperthyroidism,however I do not think matted fur is one of the symptoms.
His fur is perfectly fine again.

Jackie467
November 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I haven't had her to the vet in about a year or a little more. I tend to only take her about every two years (unless something is wrong) because she is very easily stressed and will get bald spots right after a vet visit. Last time I took her I'm not sure what all they did but I know they did some kind of blood work and they said it all came back normal and she was in great shape for her age (albeit a little over wieght).

I'm hoping that maybe she was just blowing her coat and not able to keep up with it. It just started to get into the 60's here (which is pretty cold for here) so maybe she is getting her winter coat? I have no idea if that could be since she is stricktly an indoor cat.

Also I just realized I just changed her food, maybe I need to go back to the wellness? Could that be part of it? I know that when I was feeding her Iams (don't ask) she would shed like crazy but after I changed her to wellness she stopped shedding so much.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
At her age I think she should have a geriatric panel done every year. What food did you change to and what Wellness formula was she on?

Sariss
November 7th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Geriatric cats should be seen by a vet at least once a year. It's actually recommended they go twice a year, in order to catch illnesses early.

OntarioGreys
November 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Geriatric cats should be seen by a vet at least once a year. It's actually recommended they go twice a year, in order to catch illnesses early.

Agreed her blood work could have changed a lot since your last visit

Maya
November 7th, 2006, 10:01 PM
My kitty developed health problems over a one year period in his 16th year and i would have rather caught it sooner. Also it may be that she is not producing as much saliva due to something like diabetes, she could be a bit dehydrated. I don't think cat's get lazy because of old age there is usually something bothering them if they change their behaviour.

aylith417
November 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I agree with the last two posts... take her to the vet. Old age should not change a cat's grooming behaviour. Shedding can sometimes cause matts, but I've never seen a short-hair have those problems. Definitely need to have blood work ran and see a vet to make sure your kitty is healthly. I can't say exactly what I would think could be wrong, and it might just be stress related, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Also, if your pet has stress issues, especially if vet trips cause issues, your vet should be able to give you a small dose tranquillizer/anti-anxiety medicine to help calm her down before the visits--it might help to prevent the bald spots. That way if you do decide to increase your vet visits for kitty, it will be easier on her in the long run. Talk to your vet and see if this might be an option if you like the sound of it.

Good luck! :)

Boubou
November 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
It could also be her teeth. When the mouth is sore, they can't groom themselves as thoroughly as before, thus allowing a buildup of undercoat which is usually removed when the cat grooms himself with his rough tongue. What your cat needs (besides a good vet checkup) is a good combing (a comb is better than a brush for a cat-it really gets down to the skin and removes undercoat better). If you cannot do this yourself, find a trustworthy groomer (don't be afraid to ask if you can stay with your cat if you are not sure of the groomer), and she will get the job done painlessly. If there are too many mats, sometimes a 'lion clip' is the best option...........good luck!:pawprint: :pawprint:

Rob n Cody
November 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I agree that she should be checked out, but she could also be reacting to stress in the house. My dog is extremely sensitive to what goes on in my life, and will change her behaviour accordingly. Usually, the first thing that i notice a change in is her coat - it will get dull and rough...usually shiny and soft.
As our babies age they should definitely get looked at for geriatric issues on a regular basis though!

Jackie467
November 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Well I'm going to switch her back to the wellness per my vet. I'm going to hold off on the vet for a while though, I called my vet and he said to watch her for a few more days very closely to see if there are any behavior differences and to put her back on the wellness.

It goes beyond a few bald spots on her stress with the vet. My vet understands how bad she gets and said that if in a couple days she seems off somehow, or I'm still worried he will come to the house to do a check up and take some blood. My vet is such a sweety, he will do this just for the regular vet visit cost (as long as it's only a rare thing of course). Unfortunatly even this will stress her out, but at least it will be minimal. He said if there aren't any changes in behavior then to bring her in on our regular schedual which is in about 3 months. I did watch her today and she was grooming herself as usual, eating as usual, and as usual wanting to play as I was getting ready for work.

rainbow
November 9th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Great vet you have there. :thumbs up I'm lucky enough to have one the same. :angel: Hope everything works out. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr