Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Man jailed for putting puppy in warm oven

heidiho
November 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- A man who pleaded guilty to putting his wife's puppy in a 200-degree oven, crippling it, was sentenced Monday to six months in jail.

Third District Judge William Barrett ordered Marc Christopher Vincent, 36, to serve six months in jail without the chance of early release. He must also pay a $500 fine and $986 in veterinary bills for the dog.

Vincent, 36, pleaded guilty September 18 to one count of misdemeanor aggravated animal cruelty for putting the dog in an oven for five minutes on May 25 during a fight with his wife, Rhonda. She has since filed for divorce.

The black Chihuahua mix named Henry suffered permanent damage to its front paws and now limps.

As part of the plea agreement, a second charge of animal cruelty was dropped. Prosecutors had accused Vincent of turning a leaf blower on the dog in a separate incident, damaging the dog's eye so badly it had to be removed.

Vincent was ordered to serve two years' probation after his jail sentence, seek anger management therapy, have no contact with his wife or any animals, and get a mental health evaluation.

Salt Lake County prosecutor Elizabeth Henry said Utah is one of nine states that has only misdemeanor punishment for animal cruelty.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tools: Save | Print | E-mail | Most Popular

LM1313
November 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I saw that article and was horrified. :(

Also, a 200 degree oven is "warm"? Only "warm"??

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM
:frustrated: What an evil human being. I'm glad that woman wised up and got out of that marriage. What a sicko.

heidiho
November 7th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Pretty sick,very happy he got jail time and dumped

Jackie467
November 7th, 2006, 03:07 PM
What is wrong with some people. :frustrated:
I'm surprised he got the sentence he did. I mean it's not nearly enough, but it seems that usually these people tend to only get a fine. I guess it's a least a step in the right direction.

heidiho
November 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
That is what i thought to,you never hear of them getting jail time,finally someone does

~michelle~
November 7th, 2006, 03:47 PM
thats disgusting, but i am so happy that he got jail time.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I'm really glad he got jail time too and glad his wife was smart enough to leave him too. But, sometimes, I really do believe in "an eye for an eye". :evil:

dogmelissa
November 8th, 2006, 06:02 PM
At least he also is going to possibly get some help for his mental issues.... the fines & jail time probably won't teach him anything, but perhaps the counselling will.

Poor Henry, missing an eye (just like Cube), and permanent limp? I'm sending a gazillion cuddles your way, Henry!

And good for you, Rhonda, for leaving him, but you should have done it long before Henry got hurt... but at least you got out before he got killed.

Melissa

heidiho
November 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Ditto for me an eye for an eye .I agree