Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Much to Vocal Kitty

silly kitty
November 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Hey there everyone,

I have a 1 1/2 yr old male neutered kitty who is extremely vocal any time my husband and I go into the kitchen. We adopted Buddy from the THS and he was originally quite quiet. He is now a very vocal kitty, especially at the morning feeding. I worry because we live in an apartment building. I do split the feedings up in to 2 bunches - morning and evening so I know he's eating enough food. Does any one have any suggestions on how to discourage him from being so vocal?:fingerscr

jessi76
November 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
my cats are quite chatty too. you say you split the feeding into 2 (morn & evening), however, do you leave some dry food out for munching on during the day? it may help. you don't have to leave out a ton of it, just a small dish.

some cats are just naturally very vocal. so instead of discouraging it, perhaps try to set things up to keep the cat occupied - maybe a kitty tree? scratch post condo? complete with dangly toys on strings. toys with feathers & bells... on the cheaper side... cardboard boxes are fun for kitties, tinfoil balls are fun to bat around, crumpled up pieces of paper are also fun, or a pot full of freshly grown cat-grass to play in or chew on... just some ideas to keep your new kitty occupied, and hopefully, not screaming all day.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I agree with jessi76. I feed my cats canned food for breakfast and supper but leave a dish of dry food out for in between. Most cats like to snack throughout the day much like most humans. :D

MyBirdIsEvil
November 7th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Do you feed him at the EXACT same time every day? If you don't then he's going to meow every time you go in the kitchen because he's not sure exactly when it's time to eat. Also, like everyone else said you could leave out a dish of dry food throughout the day for him to munch on and that will probably help.
You could also train him to sit quietly while he waits for his food to be put down. It takes a lot of patience but maybe you'd be willing to try that option.
You'd need a cat treat, like Pounce or something similar, and you train them to sit just like a dog. Hold the treat in front of their nose so they lift their head a bit, and push their butt down. After he's sitting quietly for a second sit the food down. Gradually and slowly extend the time you make him wait each day until he's sitting nicely waiting for his food without you luring him into it.
Like I said, that takes a lot of patience though and if you get frustrated easy it won't work. I used to have a cat that I'd trained to sit nicely in a chair and then eat his food off of a little plate on the dinner table without putting his paws up, but I trained him from a baby so it didn't take long. Adult cats take a lot more patience.

spud
November 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM
My old grey tabby was very very loud ! He was so loud and insisted on going outside so loudly that even though we didnt want to let him out at night, he would loudy INSIST through his meows. I doubt theres anything you can do, hes jsut talkin to ya.

MyBirdIsEvil
November 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM
My old grey tabby was very very loud ! He was so loud and insisted on going outside so loudly that even though we didnt want to let him out at night, he would loudy INSIST through his meows. I doubt theres anything you can do, hes jsut talkin to ya.

That's lack of patience on your part. The cat knew meowing loudly=outside. There WAS something you could have done - ignored it, but you were annoyed by the meowing so you let him out which reinforced his behavior.

Just like a dog. If the louder a dog barks in his crate the quicker you let him out of it, he soon learns that loud barking = coming out. Any animal that's rewarded for being loud is going to be loud to get what they want.

Maya
November 7th, 2006, 11:25 PM
In most cases kitty's should have access to food and water at all times because they need to snack. Is he getting a high quality food? If it's just supermarket crap he could be extra hungry due to lack of nutrients. You might look into a good quality wet food for main meals and dry kibble to leave out all the time. Like people, I think cat's can develop eating disorder if they go hungry for to long, a cycle of getting too hungry over eating, "starving" then obsessing about food.

[edit] I should have worded that in a nicer way. Um supermarket food is unhealthy and most cats get sick from it. It's a good idea to look into something healthier or at least something from the vet if you are not doing so already. :) :p

silly kitty
November 8th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Thanks for all the input guys - greatly appreciated. Maybe I should clarify 1 of 2 points. My cats (all 3) get fed at the same time each day (even on weekends) and they actually get a combination of wet and dry so that they can munch throughout the day. I feed them not the very top of the line food, but not the cheep supermarket food either. It falls in between the 2. Buddy has a healthy appetite and I make sure that there's enough fresh water down for all three cats at all time. There is currently a cat scratch pad and tree, some small toys on the ground for the cats to play with and we play laser pointer tag. Then of course there is each other to play with too (which they do). However, as soon as I wake up in the morning and walk out of the bedroom, Buddy starts his chattering - everyday. I've noticed that he doesn't do it when my husband comes out of the bedroom in the morning though - just for me.

Are there any other suggestions you guys might have?

mona_b
November 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I too have a VERY vocal cat.But with him he is vocal everywhere.At the door,on the top of the stairs,in the bedrooms.Anywhere.And I mean he is loud.I can hear him from outside.But unfortunately he is vocal cause he is deaf.And he was born this way.He is pure white with ice blue eyes.When we are home and he starts,I get the lazer light out and get him playing.And try to get his mind off the meowing.It works sometimes,but not always.This is something we have lived with for a little over 2 years.I'm lucky though,he doesn't do it when I go in the kitchen.I leave the dry out for the cats,and they get the canned seperate.

What you can try and do is when you get up,have the lazer light near you,then start having him play with it.See if that helps.

Also,you say they have a combination of the wet and dry.Are you mixing the two together?If so,I wouldn't.The wet food can go bad in a matter of time.

silly kitty
November 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Hey Mona,

Thanks for your input. I do keep both the wet and dry foods separate as my kitty won't eat them combined. Good idea about the laser tag in the morning. Will give it a shot and let you know what happens.

Did you know your kitty was deaf when you got him? Or was it something you came across at a later date?:cat:

mona_b
November 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Well I adopted Casper from the SPCA when he was 8 weeks old.After 2 weeks I noticed something wasn't right.By then he should have known his name,or at least started to get the hang of it.He ignored any noises that where made.He never budged when the dogs barked.I started dropping pots and pans,nothing.He didn't move.I went on the net and that's where I found the info about white cats with blue eyes.I took him to the vet and had him tested.

It's been quite the chore with him.But we love him....:D

When he was 6 months old we adopted an 8 week old sister(kitten)..She does put him in his place.Casper is 3 now.

Here is the littel devil...LOL...And his sister Winnie

silly kitty
November 10th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Aren't they cute!!:cat:

From your picture, "Buddy" and "Winnie" seem very much the same in colour. Buddy has fur that's a bit longer though.

I also have a L D tabby (various shades of browns, creams and a bit of Tortoise striping in her.) My other kitty is a Norweigan Forest Cat. We call her the Cave Dweller. See loves to sleep (hide) under blankets, in the closet (if she can get the door open) behind the bath towels. When my husband and I first got her from the THS we lost her in our couch. She had found a way to sneek up underneath the back cushions on the couch. She's a handful - but love them all dearly.:crazy:

-L