Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear problems

rescued rottis
November 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Would really like some help.My rotti 18 months old has developed some ear problems,shaking his head ,black guky stuff in his ears smelly.we had this same problem with another dog years a go and the vets gave us an ear solution but it didn't seem to work it is almost like the ears are always damp.I have been cleaning them every day and the one seems alot better.We have cats any relation to the ear problems???? We are lost so if anyone can help thanks

Hunter's_owner
November 7th, 2006, 12:38 PM
My dog used to get frequent ear infections. You will need to see a vet, some drops will be needed, and they should help. Just make sure that they are used according to the directions. You can also ask the vet for some cleaner to use. I have some from the vet that I find excellent in keeping the ear nice and dry, and it keeps the infections from setting in.

The ear infection is not related to the cats at all. It may just be yeast build-up due to dampness, which is common. It may also be related to a food allergy. Either way, a vet is needed. After it clears up, you can keep an eye on it, and if it comes back, then you may want to consider a food switch.

Hope this helps...Any other questions, feel free to ask, there are a lot of very helpful people here with some really good advice.
And by the way...Welcome to the forum:)

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I agree with everything Hunter's Owner said.

The drops are like antibiotics (they are antibiotics). You have to finish the schedule the vet gives you even if the ears start to look better.

And do get ear cleaner and ask the vet to show you how to do it. You're better off waiting a bit before starting a cleaning routine though, because the cleaners sting when the ear is really raw.

What we do when Jemma gets really bad is go into the vet once a week for a good flushing until she's just dirty enough to be manageable. The vet doesn't charge us each time though.

The food can also be an issue. When a dog is allergic to their food, the dirt in the ears builds up faster and faster, even if you're cleaning them regularly. If you need help finding a new food (after you see the vet), let us know.:)

Hunter's_owner
November 7th, 2006, 12:55 PM
What we do when Jemma gets really bad is go into the vet once a week for a good flushing until she's just dirty enough to be manageable. The vet doesn't charge us each time though.

That was one thing that I forgot to mention. Our vet doesn't charge us each time either. So you can ask that when you make the appointment, a good vet will usually not charge for follow-up appointments for the same reason. If Hunter has an ear infection we may go back a couple of times, and the only charge is the initial consult and the price of the drops. Neither of which are very expensive. So yeah, you can make sure to ask about that as well.

mummummum
November 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM
You might also want to think about giving the dawgies probiotics (like Pro-K ~ tastes just like sour creme!!) if it does turn out to be the yeasties.

ByronsMum
November 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I agree with Prin & Hunter's Owner. Byron just finished treatment for an ear yeast infection. He had black gucky stuff and it smelled bad in both ears. The vet prescribed Surolan: 2 drops in each ear 2xday and it cleared it right up. We will be going for a follow up visit soon.

And I agree about asking about no-charge follow up appointments. :D

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!!

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Everyone has given you lots of good advice re ear infections. I also agree that they can be caused by food allergies. What are you feeding him?

ByronsMum
November 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Everyone has given you lots of good advice re ear infections. I also agree that they can be caused by food allergies. What are you feeding him?

hehehe...the food question...I KNEW it would come up sooner or later!! :D right on, rainbow!

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM
:offtopic: :sorry: lol I was more subtle... Rainbow does that, she gets right to the point. No beating around the bush. :thumbs up