Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm a worrywart.

KayCus
November 7th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Hi! I posted on this forum once before when my dog Gunner was sick when he was younger. I got some great advice <3. Now he's just over a year old, and on Oct 30th my worst nightmare came true and he got hit by a car. Well, I live in a small town, and because the 30th was a sunday I couldn't get him veterenary assistance. I spent all of sunday catering to him and I called the emergency number to learn how to prepare a makeshift bandage. His leg was ripped open. Monday morning I took him to the vet clinic, where we have a clerk that works their full time and a vet stops by once eveyr few weeks. She told me there was absolutely nothing she could do, becuase of how bad the cut was (Muscle and tissue loss). So I immediately had to fly him to the closest vet clinic, and they did surgery to stich it closed. (Cost me over a thousand dollars.) It made me very angry that there was no emergency plan in my town for animal emergencies. But my quesiton is, soon we hope to leave the bandage off so that air can get at the wound, but I'm worried about his legrubbing against things, or bacteria in the air. Because of how bad the cut was, (Down to the bone) there are some open areas between the stitches. And the res tof my family doens't seem as concerned as me, probably because I was the one caring for him, and they don't understand the seriousness of the injury. To them he is just an animal, a dog. To me he is my baby x3. Any advice on his leg? And, since he is eating less is there any specific high calorie or beneficial foods I can give him? And, any suggestions about excersize? He LOVES to run, and he's been moving around since the pain became bearable, because the bone isn't broken (I almost wish it had only been a broken bone) and my family encourages it, but I'm worried that his moving might hurt the tenuous stiches.

Anyway, any advice, or suggestions from people who have been in similar situation would be a great help. Thanks <3.

Daizy
November 7th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Could you phone the vets that you flew him too. I'm sure they would be happy to help over the phone and give you advice. Hope he gets better soon.:)

ByronsMum
November 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry about what happened to Gunner! :pray: Hope he gets better soon!

I don't have any specific advice, but I would definitely call the vet's office and tell them your concern.

Hoepfully someone else on the forum has other ideas as well.

Good luck!:fingerscr :fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
November 7th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Newfoundlander.

I have no advice to give other than to contact the vet that you flew your dog too. They should be able to gove you some good advice.

I am so sorry for what happened, and I understand what you mean when you say
To them he is just an animal, a dog. To me he is my baby x3

Please let us know how everything goes. It is really terrible that there isn't a vet around all the time:sad:

aylith417
November 7th, 2006, 11:50 PM
How well is the wound healed? Is it somewhat scabbed? If it is--AND IS NO LONGER AN OPEN WOUND!!!-- you can use hydrogen peroxide on it. Once you've cleansed it, rinse it with water. Make sure you pat it dry as well. I wouldn't do this more than once a day. In all honesty, as long as your dog's immune system is doing well, you really shouldn't have to worry about infection--just make sure nothing gets stuck in the wound, like lint or dirt. You can also use iodine on the wound, and you don't have to rinse it, just douse it in iodine and pat it dry. I've done this for my cats before when they end up with minor and major wounds. You should call your vet to make sure this is okay, because I have not seen the wound, and therefore cannot give you an accurate diagnosis.

TeriM
November 8th, 2006, 01:08 AM
You should probably keep it fairly covered until mostly healed. He will probably bother it if he can reach it. You should keep the dressings changed pretty regularly and probably use an antibiotic cream.

I'm sure the vet would be happy to give you instructions for his care.

vfrohloff
November 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your doggie's leg. I would try to limit his exercise until the wound has closed up, otherwise he could get over excited and rip the stitches (not likely, but possible). Try taking him for short leash walks a few times a day, but don't let him run. Also, I don't agree that peroxide should be used on it. Peroxide can eat away at the flesh, and the skin of pets is thinner and more sensitive than that of humans. If you want to avoid infection I would put Polysporin on it and keep the wound bandaged until it has scabbed over. This is especially important since there are still open areas between the stitches; you need to keep it covered to keep him from licking it and to keep dirt and bacteria out. Good luck and keep us posted!

OntarioGreys
November 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I also agree with not using hydrogen peroxide on wounds.
Phone the vet who closed him up and ask how they want you to care for it.

Leaving it open to the air speeds the healing process, air itself will not cause an infection, you probably recieved antibiotics to help prevent infections , the open areas between the stitches need to be there to allow the wound to drain(that is normal), some vets put drainage tubes in to allow for drainage so the wound does not close up on the outside before the inside has started to heal otherwise fluids can build up inside and may need to be opened again.

If he is a bigger dog , a pair of baggy childrens cotton pj's might suffice as a cover to protect from dirt and preventing him from licking the wound and still allow air to the leg, cutting off one leg (cut up the crotch , upto to the waist band [not thru] then cut across just below the waist till one leg is removed, at the cut off side cut the band there so you have a leg with 2 straps, the waist band ends can then be used to tie the leg on the dog around the waist if a hind leg around the lower neck if the front leg. You may need to cut the bottom of leg to length

The leg that you cut off can be used and well by sewing on an elastic band or wide ribbon , so you have a second cover for the leg in case the other gets dirty.

pug lover
November 9th, 2006, 03:43 PM
pair of kids track pants hole for the tail and velcro

take them off to do business then slip them back on

rainbow
November 9th, 2006, 11:53 PM
KayCus, how is Gunner? Do you have an update for us? :fingerscr

Angies Man
November 10th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Living in Reno, there a couple of emergency vets.

My brother is a Family Practice Physician. And we often go out to the tulies with our dogs (particularly in the summer.) I have no doubt, that if something happened to Angie (my std poo-oodle) or Sadie (his GSD) he would not hesitate to administer emergency medicine. Gotta remind him to put his kit in the car, tho.

I guess if I were in your position, I'd talk to my family doc, talk to the local EMTs, talk to a nurse at the Emergency room at the hospital. They might be willing to provide emergency service on your dog--or they might be willing to at least teach you. I'd learn the basics of first aid. You live 'way out there', knowing how to do first aid might save, not only your dog, but members of your family.

And I'd lay in some supplies--including some emergency drugs--anesthesia with a syringe and instructions, local anesthesia w/ instructions, some suture needles and sterile suture thread, some antiseptic wash, a set of clippers, some surgical scissors, a couple of hemostats, some steristrips, a poison kit, bandages large and small, blankets, & whatever else you can think of. At the very least, you could carry them along with you to the Human emergency room.

You might be thinking that you couldn't possibly provide emergency trauma treatment to your dog, but it sounds like after your recent ordeal that it is certainly within your capabilities. I know I could, if it came to that.

Btw, on a trip into the border lakes region of Minnesota, back in the 60's, I watched my dad suture up his own leg with no anesthesia (he was a manly man!)

Hope your dog is doing better.