November 7th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Hello all. Sorry if I seem a little crazy, but my baby (i have 2) Butterbaby is sick..She was fine when I went to sleep..I had to take something outta her mouth....she eats on everything she sees...I have to stop her all the time...she woke me up by moaning...I tried to get her to walk to me...to move around to react like she always does..she is very active...very active..now she is just laying on her pillow...she will not walk...she shakes when she does sit up...I am losing my mind with worry...I called 2 vets and they told me to watch her a see if she has a tummy ache...she has never acted like this and I am very worried. I don't know if a tummy ache would make her shake and unable to walk...I was only sleep for an hour...any help would be of thanks
November 7th, 2006, 05:46 AM
What did you take out of her mouth? It sounds like she may have gotten into something toxic. I would take her to an emergency vet asap.
November 7th, 2006, 06:01 AM
It was a piece of cigar from my father...it was a small piece...I wonder if she ate some tobacco...I asked the vet and she was not concerned about it?
November 7th, 2006, 06:14 AM
I would contact a different vet as tobacco is toxic to dogs.
Cigarettes and cigarette butts, cigars, pipe tobacco, nicotine patches, nicotine gum and chewing tobacco can be fatal to dogs if ingested. Signs of nicotine poisoning can appear within an hour and include hyperactivity, salivation, panting, vomiting and diarrhea. Advanced signs include muscle weakness, twitching, collapse, coma, increased heart rate and cardiac arrest. If anyone who lives in or visits your home smokes, tell them to keep tobacco products out of reach of pets and to dispose of butts immediately. If you suspect your dog has ingested any of these seek veterinary treatment immediately.
November 7th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Yes. Please see another vet, or at the very least ensure that that vet sees your dog.
Please post back with an update
Rob n Cody
November 7th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Please take her to the vet....any tobacco product can be extremely harmful, especially because of all the other evil things they put in it.
I hope she's ok,..Licks from Cody
November 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
How is Butterbaby? :fingerscr Do you have an update for us? :fingerscr
November 7th, 2006, 05:17 PM
tobacco product can be extremely harmful, especially because of all the other evil things they put in it.
I just wanted to mention that tobacco is extremely toxic when swallowed no matter what is put in it. The things they add would be the least of my worries if my dog were to swallow some.
All tobacco contains nicotine which is a very powerful neurotoxin and can actually be used as an insecticide.
ANY dog that swallows tobacco, needs to be watched closely and immediately taken to the vet if they show any abnormal behavior. If a dog swallows a particularly large quantity they need to be taken to the vet IMMEDIATELY, because nicotine in fairly large amounts will cause death.
Your dog could be acting funny because she's hallucinating. Tobacco actually used to be eaten by some people because it has hallucinogenic properties. She could also be shaking because it's a fairly strong stimulant, so it will raise the heart rate and cause an adrenaline spike.