Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

meds haven't helped

jeannnnn
November 7th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I have a 1 1/2 year old male neuter feline. I noticed his weight had dropped quickly. A month has passed since his vet visit and still no improvement. prior the day before his vet call he did have one seizure. no others have been seen and i've noticed recently that sometimes one pupil is larger than the other. no vomiting for the past month until today and today he was trying to eat his kitty litter (scoopable) so I switch his litter to pine pellets. bowel movements are normal. no sneezing, no eye discharge. drinks some but not enough but just won't eat. I've been force feeding for about a month now and have been giving him sub q fluids every few days. the vet tested him for felv/fiv neg...in house blood work was done alb,alkp,alt, amyl, Ca,chol, crea, glu, phos, and tbil were all with in normal limits. His bun was low and his tp and glob were high. he's was put on orbax and interferon but the meds made no improvement. i've also been giving him hi-vite also.

mummummum
November 7th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I'm sorry you kitty is ill. Good thoughts are about all I cen help with. :fingerscr

MyBirdIsEvil
November 7th, 2006, 01:23 AM
You haven't mentioned what he's been diagnosed with, if anything, and what he's being treated for.
You mentioned he'd been on interferon, why? He tested negative for felv/fiv, so why was he on interferon?

i've noticed recently that sometimes one pupil is larger than the other.

That could mean one of several things:

He has nerve damage
He has a brain tumor
He has glaucoma
He ingested something toxic
Poor diet

He could have a brain tumor, or maybe some kind of brain damage, you did mention that he'd had seizures. And eating litter is completely out of the ordinary - then again he is sick, and lack of nutrients can cause a cat to do that too.

I would seek out an experienced neurologist if at all possible, and maybe find another vet.
My parents had a cat at one time that had kidney disease and he eventually developed many of those symptoms (including the dilated pupils) and died after it went undiagnosed too long.