Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

spraying???Pls..give info on male cat!!!!

jwiebe
February 25th, 2004, 06:40 PM
:eek: Help!!! I've woken up 3 nights in a row to find my 9 month old male cat spraying my covers: ( What causes him to spray and how does he decide where to do it? Will it go away when he's fixed? Help pls

Carina
February 25th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Hmmm...not sure if it will go away - that would be a good question for your vet! I'm sure this must be awful to deal with though...here's a site with some good tips on dealing with spraying though:
http://www.hssv.org/behavior/cat/cat_spray.htm

I had a spayed female cat who would pee in the guest bedroom every single time a new (to her) person would stay over. It was sort of funny...luckily I had hardwood floors. :eek: It wasn't so funny when she peed on a guests suitcase or clothing though! It was pretty infrequent so I never really took serious steps to deal with it.

numberoneaggie
February 27th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Most males do stop spraying when they are fixed, but not all of them. Sorry :( ! Unless you are a breeder, he needs to be fixed immediately. He is going through puberty right now and, like boys, is not thinking clearly, lol. Do you have any whole female cats in the house? Have you ever? If a whole female cat has ever been on your bed, he smells her and is spraying to entice her. Also, any female in heat walking around outside anywhere close to your house can set a male off. I can't tell if you are a female or male by your username, but if you're a female, he's spraying your covers because they smell like you and you smell a girl. Altering the boy is really the best thing to do for everyone's sanity. I breed Abyssinians and know from experience that there's nothing worse than a stud who takes the quote 'it pays to advertise' to heart! Sadly, though, the males who advertise usually get what they were looking for, lol.

jwiebe
February 27th, 2004, 05:53 PM
thanks aggie for responding he's getting fixed in a couple of days and yes I do have a female in the house who I've just adopted and found out she's prego! I'm a female as well (Jennifer) so everything makes more sense...: ) keep on with the good advice

numberoneaggie
February 27th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Was the female in the house pregnant when you got her? Females can breed while they are already pregnant. If she was pregnant when you got her and then your male bred to her, she could have a double pregnancy. If there is more than three days between the breedings, you could have a very serious problem on your hands. Cats have two 'horns' of their uterus and they can get pregnant in one and then later in the other. When the kittens from the first pregnancy are ready to be born, they may be healthy, but the ones in the other horn are too young to survive or won't get delivered and die inside the mother. Unless you know exactly when she has bred to any/all males and have homes lined up for kittens, I'd get her spayed immediately. If you let her have the kittens, spay her once she weans the kittens because even though the boy will be neutered, her coming into heat will still excite him. It's very unhealthy to a female cat's reproductive organs to not spay her and not to breed her. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm preaching, I'm just trying to save you from expensive medical care down the road and heartache when the female and/or babies get sick. Hope I helped!