Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fecal Exams

mafiaprincess
November 6th, 2006, 07:26 PM
So friend of mine seems to get pushed into 6 month (or less) fecal exams.. I was wondering how umm normal this was, since Cider's never had a fecal exam done.. So how often is normal, and what generally are they looking for?

TeriM
November 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Most vets want a fecal sample when they have their annual checkup. They check mainly for worms I believe.
6 months seems a little extreme unless there is a past history with something specific they want to track.

Prin
November 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I don't get them done... The heartguard is supposed to kill worms anyway.:shrug:

mafiaprincess
November 6th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Right.. I asked Mels, and she had said heartguard takes care of rounds and whips.. Hooks and tapes aren't as common, and you'd figure it out so it could be treated..

So I'm still not seeing a point.. And want to help my friend grow a backbone and quit letting the vet over vetting her dogs..

technodoll
November 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM
i only got them done before with dakotah when there was a problem with his digestion, to rule out parasites... otherwise not needed IMO if the poops are great and everything :shrug:

mummummum
November 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
They are part and parcel with the "Wellness" test everybody has 1x yearly otherwise I wouldn't worry about it unles there seemed to be a problem.

H.P.
November 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
We only get them done when there is a problem.

Cathy1
November 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
My vet said she would like to do it once a year. We did it the first 2 yrs then the vet decided it wasn't necessary.

~michelle~
November 6th, 2006, 09:14 PM
everytime i go to the vet he asks for a fecal sample.... but he just never really looks at the real problem.... but i need a new vet :shrug:

Hunter's_owner
November 7th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I had Hunter's and Cassie's done this past summer for the first time. Hunter developed a cough which ended up being kennel cough and Cassie developed the reverse sneeze thing all at the same time. Here in Newfoundland, there aren't a lot of things that dogs can catch, except for a certain heartworm/lungworm that is found only in Atlantic Canada.

So that was what the vet tested for. Also because they are researching it, the vet visit and testing is free (and the specimen has to be sent to PEI). If it comes back positive, all treatment is free as well.

Kristin7
November 7th, 2006, 07:33 AM
i picked the last choice mostly because i didn't see the option, which is basically only when there is a problem. The only time i've had a vet recommend a fecal is 1) when I bring them in for their very first exam (and for a follow-up if they had worms), and 2) if the animal was having problems, such as diarrhea. It has not been part of a routine exam since I've had animals.

jessi76
November 7th, 2006, 07:48 AM
We get a fecal done whenever Tucker needs to attend daycare. He only goes to daycare when my bf is away (or really busy) for work, and he can't come into the office with me. To attend the daycare he needs to have an updated fecal every 6 mths. I'd say, on average, he attends maybe once or twice within a 6 mth period, so we do get the fecal done, but only because it's the daycare's rule. if he didn't need to attend the daycare, we'd only have it done if there was cause for concern.

OntarioGreys
November 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
When ever I bring in a new dog an fecal is done, and puppies always should alway be done, the test should be for worms, coccidia and giardia, and it is not only for the health of the dog being tested but to protect other pets in your home and yourself. Coccidia and giardia cannot be killed with the usual dewormers, and if the dog has a worm infestation especially hooks and whips
it can take sometimes 2 to 3 treatments of drontal to rid a dog of them completely as they can be very persistent.

Heartworm meds with a dewormer like heartguard or interceptor is more effective as a preventative to protect against mature worms forming rather than being an actual dewormer and is not effective for Coccidia and giardia which if you are in an area where then is a high incidence of the vet will want to do a fecal regularily, maybe more so than if you lived in another area, if you are going to areas that are heavily used by other dogs than it is a very good idea to have your dogs checked. drinking water from a lake river or pond can be a source of giardia, so can licking/ mouthing on the coat of an infected dog. Some animals can carry giardia and coccidia not have any signs

dtbmnec
November 7th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I had fecals done for the cats for worms and that's about it.

When Pawz was suffering from "radioactive poop" I had his done too. It turns out it was probably the chicken content in the foods.

I think the vet wanted to do it once a year so the next one isn't coming up for a while.

Otherwise I would probably only do it if I thought it would help/was concerned.

Megan

hazelrunpack
November 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
I don't get them done... The heartguard is supposed to kill worms anyway.:shrug:

The operative words here are "supposed to". We just got a mega-refund back from Merial because the dogs came down with hooks despite being on Hartgard plus the whole year. Nothing is perfect, I guess...

We'd probably have fecals done once a year just for 'wellness' reasons if our dogs weren't always getting into stuff. If we've gone more than 2 months without needing to run a fecal on someone, I can't remember it... And with 6 dogs, sometimes figuring out who has the problem and which sample to bring in is difficult--so often we just run samples on all the dogs. Usually, if one has picked up coccidia or hooks or campyllobactor, they all have it anyway... sigh

Ever notice that when you have dogs, conversation around the dinner table often turns to dogpiles? :D Drives the uninitiated crazy! :crazy:

RVT092481
November 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I do my dog minimum yearly - she's a lab so everything goes in her mouth on a walk. My indoor only cats I only do if someone has diarrhea.
As OG said, it's not only for your animals safety, but people can get some of the worms that animals can get. Vets are getting sued for not checking fecals. Their children get roundworm, the family pet is blamed and vet gets sued for malpractise.
The vet should be offering it at yearly vaccine time. You can always decline it but it needs to be documented or waiver signed to protect the vet.

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 11:02 AM
lol piles indeed. Always piles.

My doggies rarely if ever get into stuff. :shrug: I dunno, I guess for them, I just don't see it as necessary. They have a pretty isolated life.:o

Lissa
November 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I do not believe that one dewormer kills all....but I honestly don't have much faith in them anyway.

Heartguard specifically uses an EXTREMELY low dose of ivermectin so that it can be suitably used on herding breeds - which often makes it ineffective (although I would still warn anyone with a herding breed to stay away from ivermectin!!).
I don't really consider Heartguard preventative - its a pesticide that stops the worms from maturing NOT preventing them in the first place. Its gone from the body in 24 hours, just like interceptor (which is so much better than revolution BUT you have to understand that its not really a preventative).... If you give your dog the last dose of Heartguard on Oct 1st and he's bitten or exposed to worms on Oct 5th, he has been infected and you won't know!
Hearguard doesn't protect against enough to be useful IMO, not to mention the lower dose.

With regards to the OP's question, I usually get Minnow and Dodger's pooped checked twice a year.