Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Need Help!!!!!!

Kalena
November 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I LIVE WITH MY IN-LAWS IN THEIR BASEMINT. WE SHARE THE KITCHEN AND BATHROOM. I HAVE TOLD THEM REPEATEDLY NOT TO FEED MY DOGS HUMAN FOOD. MY FATHER IN LAW GIVES THEM CHOCOLATE. WHICH IS POSIONOUS TO DOGS. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET THROUGH TO THEM NOT TO FEED THEM HUMAN FOOD. MY HUSBAND AND I CAN'T AFFORD TO MOVE OUT AT THIS POINT WHAT SHOULD I DO? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!
THANK YOU KALENA:shrug:

mafiaprincess
November 6th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Put a lock on the basement door maybe. Print off literature off the net as to how dangerous certain foods are to dogs and what they can do and give it to them. Make them aware of how bad it is, or limit access when you aren't around to watch.

we3beagles
November 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM
And when your dog has the extreme runs make sure some of it makes it into their shoes. :evil: Seriously, would your vet call them and make it very clear that these things are very dangerous to dogs and they are causing damage or could possibly kill them. If they don't listen I would be extremely suspicious of their motivations. Ask them if they want your dogs sick or dead? I really cannot understand them doing that having been told that it is harmful?

mummummum
November 6th, 2006, 09:42 PM
In addition to the lock on the basement door you may want to put a baby gate at the doorrway so that if the door is opened the dogs cannot go upstairs without your knowledge.

Bushfire2000
November 6th, 2006, 09:56 PM
In addition to the lock on the basement door you may want to put a baby gate at the doorrway so that if the door is opened the dogs cannot go upstairs without your knowledge.

Oh the baby gate is such a good idea.

I have one across the hallway because my HB won't tolerate dogs in his bedroom. (He is a good sport about dog things in general though, because when Buster was in the middle of house training Buster left a present beside the bed and HB stepped in it as he got out of bed, HB sat back on the bed and laughed. But it's better to keep the dogs out of HBs personal space.)

I move the gate to where ever it is most useful at the time. If someone has to come and work on our house and I can't be home, I block off the kitchen door, so the dogs can't get to the front door and be let out by some unaware worker.

If telling your in-laws not to feed the dogs human food hasn't worked its probably best to limit the dogs interactions with them.

Good Luck.

badger
November 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Sounds to me like you have a problem with your father-in-law. Is he usually this hostile? It is time for your husband to speak with him, man to man, since Daddy seems to be tuning you out.
I hope you can get your own place soon.