Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We Have A New Family Member

heidiho
November 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Well We Have A Kitten,sunday The Manager Knocked At Our Door With This Little Ball Of Grey Fur,and Told Us He Found Him Behind Their Place And There Is A Black One To But Couldnt Catch Him And That Today They Would Be Going To The Humane Society Well We Held Him And Hung Out With Him Then Let The Manager Take Him Back And Put Him In The Crate,went Back To Our Place And Talked About It,and Well All The Strays Keep Disappearing ,the Other Gray One Has Not Been Seen Since Saturday,and My Boyfrined Knew Hhow Upset I Was,and Asked Me If I Wanted To Keep Kitten,well Needless To Say We Went Out And Got Food,liter Box,toys Etc,and Last Night He Slept In His New Home,well He Or She We Dont Know.stayed Under Teh Couch For Awhile But Finally Came Out To Play,wait To You See Him ,the Face Is Enough To Melt You,cant Be More Then 6 Weeks Old,almost Pooped On Our Bed Last Night But Got To Litter Box In Time,and This Morning Almost Went On Floor,how Soon Do You Think Being This Young Will He Catch On To Go To Liter Box????anyway Goes To The Vet Thursday To Get Checked Out,he Is The Cutest Thing Ever......will Have Pics Up By Next Week............

MyBirdIsEvil
November 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
It shouldn't take him too long to start going in the box consistently. Just make sure to clean the spots he has accidents on really good, and once he goes in the litter box several times the smell will be there enough that he should keep going. I can't really put an amount of time on it though because it depends on the kitten - some catch on faster than others.

Btw, make sure you feed him canned food, he's a bit too young to be on primarily dry, and really all cats are better off with mostly canned.
You can leave some dry kitten food out at all times but make sure to give him lots of canned food, they can be pretty ravenous at that age and they're still growing.

PetFriendly
November 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM
If you can manage it, and have a large home, try putting more than one litter box around the house, that way the kitten won't have to go far from the 'action' of the house to do is business.

Same thing with scratch posts. Don't banish them to the dark corner of the basement, leave them in the spaces where you live (you can get ones at pet stores that are made from carboard pieces that are glued together, they last fairly long, and are cheap!)

heidiho
November 6th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Thank you i can use all the advice you can give,he is very young,and last night we were giving him milk..oops mistake #1 ,called vet she said no no no,give canned and dry food,well boyfriend went home at lunch to do that,and boy did he eat he said,must have been starving,yeah we got rid of sheet that was on bed last night cause we think he might of got a little pee on it,we have him in bathroom now while we are at work.No are place isnt big at all,only about 600 square foot one bedroom condo..So you think like if we are all in living room playing and he has to go he will start knowing his kitty litter is in the bathroom and go there????I know he is really young that is why i dont know what to expect on how quick he will get litter trained whithout us needing to watch over him....And we should hold him as much as possible correct to get him used to it and to like being held???He is a stray and the guy told us when he first picked him up he went crazy but he said after a couple of times it will settle them down..I have so many questions just cant think of them now

MyBirdIsEvil
November 6th, 2006, 06:53 PM
And we should hold him as much as possible correct to get him used to it and to like being held???He is a stray and the guy told us when he first picked him up he went crazy but he said after a couple of times it will settle them down

Don't do a lot of holding at first, just do a lot of touching and handling and playing with him. Since he wasn't raised by people he just needs a lot of interaction in general, but you don't want to freak him out by forcing him to be held. Once he's used to being touched all over you can start putting your hands underneath him like you're going to pick him up but don't lift him all the way off the floor. Once he's used to that you can start picking him up more and more often for very short periods and progress from there.
The biggest thing right now is just letting him bond to you, once he's bonded the picking him up shouldn't be a huge deal. He should progress really really quick at that age, and he's probably already getting pretty comfortable with you.

So you think like if we are all in living room playing and he has to go he will start knowing his kitty litter is in the bathroom and go there????

I've never had a problem with kittens finding the litter box or making it there once they knew where it was and knew to use it. If he's in the bathroom with it by himself and he's not having accidents on the floor in there he should be able to find it. Just make sure you watch him constantly, sometimes kittens will decide to try and pee on other stuff, but if you catch them in the act and bring them to the box every time they usually stop pretty quick.

heidiho
November 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
See mistake # 2 when i was holding him he would be ok but then would start squirming so i would just re position him and still hold him,ok wont do that anymore,would like him to sleep in bed with us,but i guess for now we will jsut let him sleep where he wants,which last night was way under the couch...so when he starts crying in the middle of the night do i just let him be or see if he wants to be held??

MyBirdIsEvil
November 6th, 2006, 07:26 PM
That's what's so hard about a cat that young that didn't grow up with humans.
They need interaction, so it's not necessarily a bad thing to give them some attention when they meow, but if you let him in the bedroom in the middle of the night he'll learn that meowing gets him let in at any time. I would just ignore it. Later on if he chooses to get in bed with you guys to sleep you can let him, but don't reward him for meowing at the door.

Forcing him to be held wasn't necessarily a mistake, depending on the kittens personality, but I would advise against it because it can make him skittish. He may start thinking "They're gonna pick me up I better run away!"

The other scenario is that when he squirms you put him down and he learns that struggling will make you leave him alone. That's a bad thing because it can lead to him scratching you when he doesn't want attention later on.
So yeah, the best thing for now is to just not hold him, because then you avoid both those problems. You're always better off slowly acclimating a cat to being held - cats don't do well being forced into things.`

MyBirdIsEvil
November 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Oh yeah, and if he was crying in the middle of the night it may not have been for you.

He may have wanted his mother - at 6 weeks old all my kittens were always still super bonded to their mom, and most of them were still nursing periodically.

He may have been hungry - 6 week old kittens eat A LOT and they can sometimes act like they're starving to death. I would usually feed mine some canned food several times a day, and they'd munch on the dry kitten food throughout the day also.

heidiho
November 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Thank You So Much That Helps Alot,ok Gotta Get Home To Our Baby

Frenchy
November 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Congrats heidiho ! I can't wait to see him/her. Have you choose a name yet (like one that would fit a boy or a girl?)

joeysmama
November 6th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Congratulations. He sounds like a sweetie ! I can't wait to see the pictures !:cat:

heidiho
November 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I was thinking Roxy if it is a girl,my boyfriend likes Gonzo,not sure yet,she or he goes to the vet next wednesday,that was the soonest we could get.You are gonna just melt when you see pics,gonna take a few more,will post them by monday,the markings are so cool,the belly has all black spots,then the rest are black stripes and one black stripe by each eye,uhhhhhh just to cute..........

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Congrats on the new kitty....looking forward to the pics. :D

heidiho
November 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Any suggestions to keep him from hanging on the couch with his claws,we are going this weekend to get a cat scratching post ,there is nothing on our side of the island to buy,but in the meantime he is loving hanging on the sides and front of the couch with those claws,to little to swat,i just get him off but he goes right back to it...

Jackie467
November 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM
congrats. I can't wait to see the pics. I miss when Jazzy was a kitten, it goes by so fast. But I wouldn't trade Jazzy for any kitten any time, they're great when they're older too.

heidiho
November 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I am dying to show you guys her or his pics,i must say i have the cutest kitten ..:cat: :cat:

heidiho
November 8th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Dropping film off tonight,he is so good,last night instaed of putting in bathroom we let him stay out,woke up this morning there was poop in the kitty litter,no accidents,yipee..He is just a ball of energy,but when he calms down oh my god what a sweetie he rubs his head on mine and just purrs up a storm.I am in complete love,he or she is just a doll.AS for the person who asked about the other cats,well no Red and Jumbo have not been seen,but last night my boyfriend tells me that Jumbo is back and in the courtyard well i go out there to feed him and Bob and just cant figure out if it is him,looks the same ,color,size but eyes look different.So i go back in house and later open the door and he is laying there,so i call him but he wont come to me like he usually does,finally figure it out,it is not him but the mom cat to our new kitten,saw her the other day on the roof of the shed there,tried to feed her but she wouldnt come to me,but it is her,kind of weird never have seen her bbefore,but now that we ahve this kitten she was laying right by our door....

MyBirdIsEvil
November 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM
You said your kitten was crying in the middle of the night, that's probably why she's there.

chico2
November 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Heidiho,that is sad,mom wants her kitten and kitten wants mom.
Maybe when the manager got the kitten,mom was just hunting for food.:sad:
I don't know what you can do,I know you are in love with the kitten.
Letting the mom have him/her would probably make the kitten feral.
A tough situation to be in:frustrated:
Maybe mom at least has found the other kitten:fingerscr

heidiho
November 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I cant and wouldnt let the mom have the kitten,first because when they find strays they trap em and the humane society picks them up,so when the manager showed her us,it was hey she will be here til tomorrow then she is gonna be picked up,.I dont even know where this stray came from,my 2 are missing and i ahve seen 3 others running around.Bob teh one with no tail is the only one left that was allowed to be there,i do not feed others because i do not want to cause a problem with other people that live there,so Bob is the only stray i feed,except last night when i fed the momma thinking it was Jumbo.Are u saying that is a good thing not to let her back with mom because she will become feral???Which i am not sure the definition of that is,does it mean wild .??

chico2
November 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Yes,feral means wild and if she is not picked up and destroyed:sad: ,will probably have several litters of feral kittens.
I only hope your kitten is not too young, the vet will be able to tell you...
She/he (cant you see if there are little ballsies?:D )is better off with you,I did not mean for you to give him back to the mama cat,it's just sad..

heidiho
November 8th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I think it is really a horrible situation to,never thought in a million years the momma cat would show up near our door,i have never seen her before.Must be the time of year or something around here for strays, idont understand either why the manager does not trap her and get her fixed or something,i can only hope she does not start hanging around our place,but on a brighter note,the kitten i have to say is really adjusting well,he plays alot,loves hanging out with us,the first night he jsut stayed under the couch and woudl not come out.Has a great appetite.poops are solid..He really looks pretty healthy,i know he is young but he seems really happy.Hung out with me in the bathroom the whole time i was getting ready this morning just purring and purring

heidiho
November 8th, 2006, 04:51 PM
p.s. i see no balls i honestly cannot tell if it is a boy or girl,vet told me it is hard at this age,guess i wil have to wait til the 15th

MyBirdIsEvil
November 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I only hope your kitten is not too young, the vet will be able to tell you...

If the kitten is already eating normal cat food it should be fine. Most kittens that have problems are ones that are seperated young enough that they won't eat normal food. Kittens go through a transition phase where they'll eat both milk and normal food, and as long as the kitten is to that point he should be ok healthwise. Just like seperating a puppy at 6 weeks - yes it's too young, but there shouldn't be too many ill effects health wise as long as they'll eat.

The only problem with such a young kitten is that it can become EXTREMELY bonded to people, but that should be ok as long as the kitten isn't alone too often.
Kittens that are seperated very young sometimes become droolers too - they'll knead on you and drool a lot. There's nothing unhealthy about it though, it's just kind of gross, lol.

heidiho
November 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Well there is no problem there,his appetite is great,i was wondering about the drool thing cause Red was doing that,we would pet him and sometimes he would drool and drool,doesnt gross me out i can live with that..I work 8-4 no lunches alowed for me i am the only one that works here at the front desk,but my boyfriend does construction so he can go home and check on him and stuff,he actually is home today and i am jealous,yesterday i come home and my boyfriend is at the table having a beer and the kitten is there with him with this glass of water just hanging out on the table with him,very cute i must say.Just ordered a kitty condo for him,because he just loves hanging by his claws on the couch.I swear he really seems liek he is already content and happy with us.......I cant tell you guys enough how damn cute he is.Hopefully can get pics back before this weekend to show you.Actully this morning i was on the floor with him and he was doing that kneading thing i swear he was looking for a nipple to........

joeysmama
November 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
You sound so happy with your new baby ! I can't wait to see pictures.

heidiho
November 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I am beyond happy,he is so fun and sweet,will be picking up pics today,the only thing that is hard is he has started kneading and i swear trying to find a nipple on me,if iam laying on my side he comes up and either gets around my ear area or my belly and starts purring like crazy and trys to find somehting to suckle on...I dont know how long this will go on,i know he should be with his mom..

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Sounds like you are doing OK. I have to admit if it were nem I'd trap mama ans try to siocialize her - sans the kitten. But since she knows the kitten is there, she may come to the house. I have socialized many many ferals ( I do not believe in the word "tame" - and it really so often depends on how many generations a cat has been feral. There actually is not such thing as a "stray". So called strays started off as someone's pet or their mom or grandma did. Most cane be socialzied and if not, one can set up an area for them and of course spay and neuter them!! There are some great programs that provide low cost spaying and neutering.

I think it would break my heart to see a mom cat seeing her kitten and being unable to get to her. Not that I am suggesting you return your kitten to her mom - if mom remains outside - but asome help for mom must be available too, I could not bear to leave mom there, alone! I know it is not an easy not simple nor short process to socialze a feral mama cat but it can be done. If you cannot do it, maybe there are some orgs who can help????

Whatever you do, don't allow her to go to the SPCA - they will kill her!!!

heidiho
November 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I know but see we arent even supposed to feed strays ,but the onsite manager allows three of them to stay to keep others out,and honestly i just dont have the time or money to save all of them,it makes me sad to ,this momma cat came out of no where i have never seen her before this kitten came around..

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Is there a local group who could trap and help her, maybe find her a home with someone experienced with ferals like her? I do wish you well and look forward to pix of the new baby!!

chico2
November 9th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Heidi,the "kneading"thing will go on for a long time,all my cats do it and they are 4,8 and 12 yrs old:cat: It's just something most cats do,it gives them comfort and tells you they are feeling good.
I too am very sorry for the mom cat,but I am sure there are many feral or stray cats in Hawaii,just like in the Caribbean.
Did the second kitten not show up??You'd have more fun with 2 kittens and they would keep each other company.

heidiho
November 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Oh yeah dont get me wrong i think the kneading thing is adorable,dont mind it at all,trying to nurse on my ears is also cute.As for the othe kitten i have never seen him,i have looked around ..And as for the grown cats,i dont know alot of people here,and truthfully most places do not allow pets,and they have been outside cats from day one,i really dotn know what to do,and honestly i just cant save em all,i feed them everyday and hang out with them,but more than that is jsut not possible,i have to focus on our little one now,who we didnt expect financially at this time but can do it for one.Maybe someday we could get him a friend,but i just want to enjoy the fact that i do have a forever friend/