Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eye abcess

dogcatharmony
November 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
last night i noticed a bubble in the corner of my dog's eye, she was pawing at her face and i didnt know if maybe she or one of the cats scrached it. So this morning i got into the vets and the bubble had burst, and now its just a wound. The vet told me to put polysporin on the wound four to five times a day for five days and if it doesn't heal or bubbles again to bring her in. He said too bad that it had popped because he could not tell if it was infected or not. He asked if she was eating, sleeping, pooping and behaving normal. All answers are yes but he did not answer my questions about what whould cause an abcess and now i am worried. when i asked him he just said about the five days and if it healed or not. He told me to buy an elizabeathan collar it keep her from bothering it if she kept pawing it. and that was all. so i was wondering if anyone here knows why an abcess starts or what could cause it..........im going to be going nuts for five days if it doesn't heal up,

vfrohloff
November 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Abscesses are generally caused by some sort of puncture to the area, although I have never seen one in the eye before. Is it actually in the eye, or on the skin just outside of the eye? Make sure to keep it clean and put the Polysporin on it. The main thing is that you don't want it to crust over and form a scab because that's when it will get infected. It needs to be able to drain properly so as to avoid infection. Did your dog actually see the vet, or did you just call the vet? A vet should be able to tell if it is infected or not, and it concerns me that your vet said he couldn't tell. Anyway, keep an eye on your dog and if he stops eating or drinking, or seems lethargic, or if the wound starts to smell or emit pus I would take him back to the vet.

dogcatharmony
November 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
the abcess is in the corner of her eye and down along the bottom of the bottom eyelid. I took her in to see the vet, and he said if the bubble had not burst he could have taken fluid out and checked it to see if it was infected. Right now it is just a raw red wound, no blood but it is open and not scabby. She doesnt like it touched but i have been successful in putting on the polysporin and keeping it on, althought it is hard to put it along her eyelid because i dont want it getting in the eye. He told me that if it blistered up again to bring her in so he could get a sample of the fluid. it doesnt stink and there is no fluid that i can see when i put the ointment on. I am thinking of going to another vet if she starts rubbing it again. thanks for the reply

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, like vfrohloff said, an absess is usually from a puncture by something that introduces bacteria under the skin, or where the puncture hole lets bacteria in. Cat bites, for example, can cause absesses easily because cats' mouths are so laden with bacteria.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I agree. Is it possible that your cat could have scratched or bitten her? Hope the abscess doesn't cause any further problems. Keep us posted. :fingerscr

Sariss
November 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
It's not under the eye, is it?

dogcatharmony
November 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
picture her sitting infront of you........it is her left hand side on the outside corner of the eye. the spot where "crow's feet or wrinkles" start. it is about half the size of a dime, and it contiunes under the eye. i noticed tonight when i was putting the cream on that it looks like it is starting to bubble again , almost looks like something is in there like an ingrown hair ( it looks thick and black). i go back tomorrow morning, the vet thinks im being nerotic, i spoke with him tonight but I insisted he look at her. I told him that i think of her as my child and if i feel she needs to be looked at then so be it. I also requested the senior vet to see her. If it was my eye i know i would be having it looked at, IMO i think it is something that needs to be taken care of. oh i should mention that her eye is not swollen and her vision is not impaired, but she sure doesnt like it being touched.

OntarioGreys
November 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track, and the original vet is right too, inorder to possibly prescribe an antibiotic he needs to know what type of infection is present in order to prescribe the right type since he does not know what caused it, and there was a chance it might have dried out on it's own and not come back after rupturing, so basically is avoiding the use of antibiotics unnecessarily for 2 purposes, to save you money especially if a wrong one is prescribed and also to prevent over use of antibiotics which could lead to disease resistance