-->

Avocados toxin is really bad news for animals

Angies Man
November 6th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Avocados toxin is really bad news for animals

MARK ROBISON

RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
Posted: 11/5/2006

Every part of the avocado is dangerous for pets thanks to a toxin named persin, according to the ASPCA.

The animal-advocacy group says, "The primary concern in dogs is with gastrointestinal irritation, including vomiting and diarrhea. Typically, these effects are seen in dogs who have scavenged on significant quantities of fruit or branches.

"Birds and rodents appear to be particularly sensitive to avocado, and ingestion can result in respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart and even death."

technodoll
November 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM
interesting. guess i won't feed any to my dogs anymore... although they've always been fine with avocados. :cool:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 6th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks for that info :)

Kristin7
November 6th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I sometimes have fed my animals avocado, but do not anymore as I thought i'd heard they were toxic, but didn't know what part was toxic etc. If this toxin is bad for cats, dogs, birds and rodents, i wonder if it also affects humans?

Prin
November 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Hmm, somebody should email that to Avoderm and see what they say about it.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM

Just did it. :D

pitgrrl
November 7th, 2006, 09:04 PM

People have in the past. I know the response was that the part of the fruit they use does not contain the toxin, the oil maybe, I can't remember for sure.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I got a reply from Avoderm. I'll post it in the food forum.

phoenix
November 9th, 2006, 04:02 PM
argh! just after seeing the post, my doggies stole and consumed an avocado!!!!!!! I thought it was well out of reach. They ate most of it (all the green, most of the skin, and a significant portion of the pit!!!!:eek: ) I'm going to keep an eye on them for any vomiting or diarrhea and see what happens. I almost feel like inducing vomiting, but it was a small fruit and the two of them 'shared' by the looks of it, so maybe I'll wait and see. I can't believe it. :yell: